Worst Lead Role Casting Decision

Tools    

Watching Road House atm...

Reminds me of the olde trope of movies that cast a blonde haired, blue eyed, big boobed actress who can't act, as the main doctor/scientist

Watching Road House atm...

Reminds me of the olde trope of movies that cast a blonde haired, blue eyed, big boobed actress who can't act, as the main doctor/scientist

Should've been called "Trope House." But that's the fun of it. It's so swaggeringly cheesy.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Heck, even Bill Murray likes Road House and says it's an underappreciated classic.

I heard Murray passed on the role. Glad he still talks positive over it.

Welcome to the human race...
Don't forget Winona Ryder as well.
Actually, Winona Ryder in anything really.
I'll go to bat for her playing a repentant mean girl in Heathers, that's like a perfect use of her talents.

(also for whoever said Ryan O'Neal in The Driver, the hell you say)

As for my pick, in light of Wonder Woman 1984 I have to wonder if they couldn't have done better than Gal Gadot.

Heck, even Bill Murray likes Road House and says it's an underappreciated classic.
Pain don't hurt

Victim of The Night
Having just rewatched Moonrise Kingdom, which is slowly becoming what I believe to be the best film Wes Anderson has ever done, Bruce Willis just doesn't work in that universe for me. It's no like he's bad, but he definitely takes me out of the film.
Well, Bruce Willis is a cvnt.
I still prefer The Life Aquatic, but I did think Moonrise Kingdom was very good.

Victim of The Night
Oddly, I thought that Reeves worked in Dracula, even though he was kind of Americanized. If you read the book, Harker really IS kind of clueless and shallow, a pose that works pretty well for Keanu.
True, but Keanu's performance was actually awful, probably the worst of his career, and had me questioning whether or not he even should be an actor or should perhaps go back to his dreams of playing professional hockey for which he may have been better suited if Dracula was any indication.

True, but Keanu's performance was actually awful, probably the worst of his career.

Don't forget Much Ado About Nothing...

Just because I keep seeing this movie on lately - The movie Van Helsing (2004) with Richard Roxburgh as Dracula (the lead villain). Some people loved him, but he just didn't click as the world's most famous vampire for me - I couldn't stop seeing him as the prissy "Duke" in Moulin Rouge.

The Three Musketeers (1973) - Frank Finlay as Porthos. Finlay was a great actor, but he was short & thin. The character of Porthos was always huge - in every direction - that's what set him apart from the others.

Avengers (series) - Scarlett Johanson as Black Widow. Scarlett is gorgeous, but petite. In the comics Black Widow was something of a "Bond girl" - tall and stunning with a towering bouffant hairdo. Black Widow is Russian, yet Scarlett has never done a Russian accent for the character (as far as I know). Again - just removing one of the main attributes of a character that had always defined them due to casting. (Same thing with Halle Berry as Storm in the X-Men movies - beautiful actress, but no African accent made her little more than just another pretty face.)

Justice League (2017) - Ray Fisher as Cyborg. Nothing wrong with this actor, but he just didn't seem like the character I grew up with. I don't know - his voice, his mannerisms, his look - it just never said "Victor Stone" to me. And the movie makers didn't help with his CGI cyborg body of magic crystals or whatever it was supposed to be - a nicely scuplted mechanical suit with limited CGI would have served the character greatly. (I could go off about others in this movie such as the Flash - but he's been so many different people in the comics, cartoons and TV shows - it's hard to say who he should be.)

Should've been called "Trope House." But that's the fun of it. It's so swaggeringly cheesy.
I always like how educated, practicing, heterosexual, female doctors choose sleazy men's strip clubs to hang out in - totally believable & realistic. I challenge anyone not to find a straight lady doctor among the regular clientele of most of the major strip clubs for men!

Where else would a lady doctor go in her free time (which they all apparently have plenty of - so why not spend it watching women go-go dance and take their clothes off as horny men drool over them?)

If you ever want to meet a well-to-do lady doctor... just go to a strip club... that's apparently where they go after a long day of surgery.

Avengers (series) - Scarlett Johanson as Black Widow. Scarlett is gorgeous, but petite. In the comics Black Widow was something of a "Bond girl" - tall and stunning with a towering bouffant hairdo. Black Widow is Russian, yet Scarlett has never done a Russian accent for the character (as far as I know). Again - just removing one of the main attributes of a character that had always defined them due to casting.
I really like Johansson in the role. I think that she brings a believably athletic look to the role--which is needed for a character who is just meant to be a very talented human--and a charming irreverence. I think she has really strong chemistry with Chris Evans.

I actually don't mind it that much when characters in films don't totally match the source material. I'd rather have a good actor/actress bring something to the role than have the studio find someone who just looks the part.