Game of Thrones: Season 8, The Final Season (spoilers)

Tools    

I felt like Episode 2 scratched this itch perfectly. No battle, just characters being with each other, talking.
I liked the second half of episode 2 quite a bit. But I still feel like episode 1 and 2 could easily have been one episode. Also, I felt we’ve just been waiting to watch stuff we already know about happen or see characters interact that we knew had to interact and say what we knew they had to eventually say. Like a nice warm fire, it was nice and comfy watching it, but those two episodes didn’t really give me what I wanted from a last season of a long-running tv show that is known for amazing dense dialogue and surprising elements around every corner.

Obviously, the first two episodes were not some that should blow us away or throw everything at us at once, but I do feel like they could have been better. At least that’s just how I personally feel.

Listen. I just finished binging the series a couple days before this episode. So maybe I'm not the up most authority on GOTs. However, I'm glad I just spent 3 weeks on it instead of 8 years because I would have been so much more angrier. Imagine waiting 8 years to figure out the Night King's motivations and you get basically an evil for the sake of being evil comic book villain. So underwhelming.

Oh and the whole Dragon glass thing was completely useless. You can kill the dead with regular weapons, as proven throughout the whole series. Dragon glass is meant to kill the White Walkers. Well not a one of them died until the NK did. If they could have found a way to kill some of the white walkers it would have helped some main characters plausibly live instead of unplausibly living (looking at you Sam). Because you kill the dead they control. So the Dragon Glass story line was pointless.

Also Bran does nothing. NK and Bran relationship isn't explained. Guess they have 3 more episodes to rectify that.

The episode itself was ok. The characters with plot armor is annoying. What is left of Dany's army? She can get some of the IronBorn I guess. I mean their only option vs Cersi now is to burn the place down with dragons. They have me kind of pulling for Cersi now because she made a rational decision to stay out of that fight at Winterfell.

I don't know. This episode might have crumbled the whole season maybe even series to me. GOTs just has such high standards and this just wasn't up to snub to me. They have 3 big episodes to prove me wrong. But this ship feels headed towards an iceberg.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I liked the second half of episode 2 quite a bit. But I still feel like episode 1 and 2 could easily have been one episode. Also, I felt we’ve just been waiting to watch stuff we already know about happen or see characters interact that we knew had to interact and say what we knew they had to eventually say. Like a nice warm fire, it was nice and comfy watching it, but those two episodes didn’t really give me what I wanted from a last season of a long-running tv show that is known for amazing dense dialogue and surprising elements around every corner.

Obviously, the first two episodes were not some that should blow us away or throw everything at us at once, but I do feel like they could have been better. At least that’s just how I personally feel.
I think all 3 episodes have been really excellent, the first is the weakest simply due to it being basically a reunion and box ticking ep. The 3rd has dissapointments but I think it's far better on a rewatch free of expectation. Episode 2 was fantastic, especially the last 15 minutes.

I'm looking forward to ep 4 because it's gonna probably be a bit more in house drama picking up where we left Jon and Dany in ep 2, recovering from Great War and starting to think about how to take down Cersei.

Then in 5 I'd expect things to generally get resolved and Episode 6 being a slower goodbye episode a bit like the end of Band of Brothers.

Still 4 hours of airtime to go.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I'm of the belief that the NK is not "simple for simple's sake".

If he is death incarnate, unrelenting in his quest for every living person; what is there to explain? Does the Grim Reaper chat you up before a pat on the shoulder?

People can be upset about anything, but how many people that don't watch GoT watched this 1 episode. A lot that I know of.

This was probably a $60-$70 mil, popcorn spectacle of an episode for the masses.

Listen. I just finished binging the series a couple days before this episode. So maybe I'm not the up most authority on GOTs. However, I'm glad I just spent 3 weeks on it instead of 8 years because I would have been so much more angrier. Imagine waiting 8 years to figure out the Night King's motivations and you get basically an evil for the sake of being evil comic book villain. So underwhelming.

Oh and the whole Dragon glass thing was completely useless. You can kill the dead with regular weapons, as proven throughout the whole series. Dragon glass is meant to kill the White Walkers. Well not a one of them died until the NK did. If they could have found a way to kill some of the white walkers it would have helped some main characters plausibly live instead of unplausibly living (looking at you Sam). Because you kill the dead they control. So the Dragon Glass story line was pointless.

Also Bran does nothing. NK and Bran relationship isn't explained. Guess they have 3 more episodes to rectify that.

The episode itself was ok. The characters with plot armor is annoying. What is left of Dany's army? She can get some of the IronBorn I guess. I mean their only option vs Cersi now is to burn the place down with dragons. They have me kind of pulling for Cersi now because she made a rational decision to stay out of that fight at Winterfell.

I don't know. This episode might have crumbled the whole season maybe even series to me. GOTs just has such high standards and this just wasn't up to snub to me. They have 3 big episodes to prove me wrong. But this ship feels headed towards an iceberg.
I somewhat understand where you are coming from but I would like to say that yes the white walker story line has been a long time coming, but GOT is so much more than that aspect of the story. I am not going to lie and say that I am not disappointed it ended so suddenly, but I do think much of what we have been seeing is the preparation and the ramifications of those preparations evolve in a way that I believe is very entertaining and plausible. Those preparations almost seem as if they can be considered part of the battle we just watched. The battle began long ago, it has to end eventually.

I am not sure how the whole dragon glass thing was useless, not only did it equip thousands it also created a catalyst for Jon and Daenerys to unite/meet. If you recall Jon does kill a wight with a dagger made of the material when they bring one to get Cersi to join them. It is definitely easier to kill them with dragon glass than it is regular weapons

I have not read all the books, but in the books dragon glass does not kill wights. Not sure how this plays out there, but it is definitely an asset on the TV show.

I also love how the Dothraki are snuffed out so quickly, however we do not know how many enemies those soldiers took out with their fiery weapons before they met their quick demise. As far as Bran doing nothing, other than being the puppet master behind much of what led to the NKs death I guess yeah you are right he did nothing.

Like I mentioned, I do get that many do not like how things played out this episode and I do not begrudge you your criticisms of it, I just found it to be an amazing episode.

I do hope they explain the NK/Bran history more even if it just judgy Bran explaining it like it was a grocery list.

I am just hoping we do not have another two episodes prepping us for the last one, lets finish out the last 3 strong all the way. Sure maybe just a little time to morn the dead and the dead dead, and to heal the wounded, but after that lets get things hopping!!!

It will be interesting to see how much of an army is left. I am sure Yara will be a key player.

Along with dragonglass, Valyrian steel is one of the few known substances that can kill White Walkers

"Careful, Your Grace. Nothing cuts like Valyrian steel."
―Grand Maester Pycelle

I wonder if the darkness is an effort to hide details in set designs and costumes? How I've felt at half the movies I've seen in the past 10 years.

Oh yeah, cue the zombie movie tropes we've never seen before.
I kind of think the opposite happened. As far as the thought process goes. I bet there were some great designs were created that we did not get to appreciate more because of the darkness. Tell me the NK doesn't look more imposing in the darker image.

I do understand that the darkness made it difficult to watch a lot of the battle scenes, but I do not think it was done to hide details, not visual details anyway.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Sure, we can hope. But 3 episodes in and we haven’t got it yet. And the teaser for next episode seems to be leading into yet another battle to come. So the question is how much time will actually be given to dialogue-driven scenes and character conclusions not involving death and destruction?
Wait... what were those first two episodes this season? The beginnings of just this sort of thing... until those lousy white walkers showed up.

@Austruck
Cable land line through cable service? Or streaming through HBONow or HBO GO via internet? I stream through HBONow and the blacks were artifacting a good bit. Well, whatever the murky dark colors were. Not exactly black. My streaming here can get rough with HBO though.
Both ways. First I watched it on my computer (27" monitor, ethernet cable hooked up through cable modem), and then the next day on the big-ass TV directly through Xfinity cable service.

I even watched it again last night (as I was working) streaming via Xfinity's app using high-speed Wi-Fi.

Granted, I wasn't sitting there scrutinizing whether the black colors were black enough, though. I just know the general darkness of the episode never really bothered me, aesthetically speaking.

Sorry to disagree with you... but most folks are griping that they're condensing things TOO much since getting past Martin's books. I did a complete series rewatch again recently, and it struck me just how slowly things moved earlier on. (Not in a bad way!) We got details. We got side plots. We got characters that had little "purpose" in the main storylines but were still great fun to get to know and watch.

I don't think AT ALL that those two episodes were filler or were unnecessary. If anything, the fast-travel and the hacking things down to the core characters feels UNLIKE the earlier seasons to me.

Wait... what were those first two episodes this season? The beginnings of just this sort of thing... until those lousy white walkers showed up.
I'm not sure if this is meant to be a mocking of my comments. I might interpret it the wrong way. But it's cool.

I just don't think it takes a genius to see that the writing for GoT has fallen DRASTICALLY. Just sit down and watch an episode from season one and then watch one from season 8. Sure, things change, sure perspectives change etc. But it's just so superficial compared to what made it famous. The first two seasons didn't really have any "real" action scenes at all until Blackwater. Yet it was so engaging.

But again, I still like the new episodes okay. I thought the third episode was an epic battle. And I'm not stuck in the past I can accept that GoT is now more "Hollywood". It doesn't make or break my enjoyment of the show. But the show when it was at its best all around I do miss...

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a mocking of my comments. I might interpret it the wrong way. But it's cool.

I just don't think it takes a genius to see that the writing for GoT has fallen DRASTICALLY. Just sit down and watch an episode from season one and then watch one from season 8. Sure, things change, sure perspectives change etc. But it's just so superficial compared to what made it famous. The first two seasons didn't really have any "real" action scenes at all until Blackwater. Yet it was so engaging.

But again, I still like the new episodes okay. I thought the third episode was an epic battle. And I'm not stuck in the past I can accept that GoT is now more "Hollywood". It doesn't make or break my enjoyment of the show. But the show when it was at its best all around I do miss...
NO, not mocking! Just interacting!

And I AGREE that the writing has NOT been as good since they got past Martin's books. No argument from me there. I agree that it's also more "Hollywood" and is now being written by visually driven folks more so than someone with the vision of an author/writer of books.

There's not much to be done about that since Martin just was never going to stay ahead of them at their pace (versus his).

It's all good. I was mostly just taking issue with your contention that this season had *none* of the earlier character-driven stuff. I'd say those first two episodes were nearly all character-driven.

NO, not mocking! Just interacting!

And I AGREE that the writing has NOT been as good since they got past Martin's books. No argument from me there. I agree that it's also more "Hollywood" and is now being written by visually driven folks more so than someone with the vision of an author/writer of books.

There's not much to be done about that since Martin just was never going to stay ahead of them at their pace (versus his).

It's all good. I was mostly just taking issue with your contention that this season had *none* of the earlier character-driven stuff. I'd say those first two episodes were nearly all character-driven.
Ah, I see. Yeah, for sure they were character-driven, in the general sense of the word at least. And I did like them. Especially some of the stuff in the second episode. But it was just a bit too predictive and straightforward for me. I realize we are at end times, so things can't be fast and snappy and whatever, that's not really what I'm searching for either. It was just, in my opinion, a little bit shallow? Not sure of the word I'm looking for here but I just don't feel as engaged or excited when I see the characters interact on screen. I feels so A, to B, to C for me. And the big things happening, like The Night King just dying like that, doesn't feel as well-written into the show. It feels too easy. All this time waiting... for this? And Brans connection to it all? Well, I hope there will come some explanation of all this in the other episodes...

But there's no doubt of the visual grandeur of it all. GoT has proven to be excellent at staging action and making it a visual feast too.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Normal weapons don't kill wights. When did they show that?

They clearly show Dragon Glass, Valyrian Steel or fire. When the Suicide Squad went beyond the wall, they all took dragon glass with them. When the Wight attacked The Night's Watch, you had to set him on fire.

Why do you think they set the Dothraki blades on fire? The ONLY thing I can think of is if they swapped out the spears of the Unsullied.

Please explain.

In the books, it is unknown if fire can kill White Walkers, currently only Dragon Glass and Valyrian Steel. Also there is no Night King in the books, at least yet.

Suspect's Reviews

Why are people talking about Cersei's pregnancy? She was drinking wine after pirate sex

Fake news
Jaime said it's real in last week's episode. Even if it isn't real, Jaime and Tyrion believe that it is and it may affect their actions.

Also, the consumption of some alcohol during pregnancy isn't necessarily going to harm the child. It depends on the amount consumed and at what point in the fetus's development.
Yeah but her turning down wine with Tyrion was what convinced them that the lie was true, she ain't pregnant, or she wasn't, maybe Euron has put a prince in her belly and that'll send Jaime over the edge

Yeah but her turning down wine with Tyrion was what convinced them that the lie was true
TBH, I'd forgotten about that. I don't believe she's pregnant either, but your question was why people are talking about it. The answer is because her brothers believe she's pregnant and this belief may affect their actions and their willingness to take her out.

Yeah but her turning down wine with Tyrion was what convinced them that the lie was true
TBH, I'd forgotten about that. I don't believe she's pregnant either, but your question was why people are talking about it. The answer is because her brothers believe she's pregnant and this belief may affect their actions and their willingness to take her out.
Fair point, It'll come to light that she wasn't though lol

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
...And Brans connection to it all? Well, I hope there will come some explanation of all this in the other episodes...
Unfortunately, I am afraid Sam's comments in the war room meeting with everyone planning the defense were probably meant to tie up Bran's connection to it all. The memory of man, or however he worded it. That if he (Bran) died, the history of man would die with him, and that was Sam's definition of really being dead. Being forgotten. So I'm taking it that Bran's purpose is just to exist and remember things.

Arguably poetic, but a little thin for me having waited 7 seasons for it.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear