The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've seen The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie for this list. It's a comically surreal film with lots of great moments for me. The film manages to touch on certain deeper themes about its subject, but at the same time it never compromises on its humor and fast pace. Bunuel is offering us plenty of food for thought, but while he does that, he keeps us very entertained!
A problem that some people seem to have with films that try to aim for deeper meanings, is that, according to them, those films can become really tedious and boring. In some cases, I agree with those people. There are certain films that are obviously trying to reach deeper layers of storytelling and profound cores of meaning, but ultimately just stand out because of their dullness more than anything else. In my opinion, those filmmakers have failed to make a good, intriguing movie. If you can't hold the attention of the majority of your well-meaning audience during the running time of your film, you have not succeeded. It's as simple as that!
The reason why this film is so highly praised, is because it can be enjoyed by everyone! It's clever, refreshing and in some ways even radical filmmaking, but it never loses its entertaining edge. This ultimately results in a very memorable and enjoyable film experience.

It wasn't on my personal list, but I respect this film a whole lot. It's a very skillfully executed movie. Great entry!

Haven't seen Straw Dogs yet, but definitely will in the future.

SEEN: 6/18:

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

Don't play with my heart like that. There is NO way...right?
Yeah, I'm just fu*kin' with you. It did appear on one other ballot, and together you guys gave it twenty points. That tied it with nine other movies in the 222nd through 230th slots.

But we can got through all of those kinds of things after the complete list has been revealed. Still, don't just assume a movie hasn't made it.

But that one didn't.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Let the night air cool you off
That's the only one on my list that I didn't think had a chance. There's one other that I don't think will make the list, but I know one other forumite loves it too.

The Discreet Charm was on my list for the longest time but I bumped it at the last minute for something else. I'm glad it made the cut even without my assistance. I'm a few years removed from it now so I don't remember a whole lot about it but I remember liking Straw Dogs. Time for a rewatch, I think.

Straw Dogs is great. I've not seen The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, but mainly because my experience with "surrealistic" movies has not always gone well, so I sort of skipped it. Still, I do find surrealism fascinating, so maybe it's time to start exploring Luis Bunuel beyond Un Chien Andalou.

I really like this pair, because they're so different, and I think most members would really like at least one of them. I fully expected both films to make the list.

Like Fear Eats the Soul, The Discreet Charm is a movie that is way out of my comfort zone, but another one that I enjoyed thoroughly anyway. As much as I liked it, I loved a different one from the director even more-That Obscure Object of Desire. I do not think that one will make it. I taped Belle de Jour last night, *and look forward to seeing more from this director.

On the other hand, Straw Dogs is exactly the kind of movie that I seek out. I had it at #23, and it's the 2nd movie from my list to show up. It's been a favorite of mine for over 30 years and features 1 of 8 great 70's performances that I've seen from Dustin Hoffman. I fear that only 1 or 2 more of his movies will show up; it really should be 4 more. Put Hoffman's 70's showing with Midnight Cowboy in 1969, and Tootsie in 1982, and you have what I think is one of the all time great stretches by any actor.

I watched The Tenant and really enjoyed most of it until the last 45 minutes totally lost me. Overall, it was just ok for me.

I think I may have just one more movie show up in my bottom 10, and I think my #s 4, 8, and 12 are in serious jeopardy.

My list-
#3 Saturday Night Fever (87)
#23 Straw Dogs (83)

A system of cells interlinked
I have seen Straw Dogs, but not for a while, but I have never heard of the other title! Once again, I probably picked a bunch of obvious choices for my list, so most of my picks will show up in the top 50, methinks...

Sigh.

Two more I've not seen, which leaves me at having seen only 2/18 so far with none from my list.
Also I'm definitely sure my #1 didn't make it. I wonder if anybody else even voted for it? Probably not.

My List
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm 3 for 18. I looked at everything I've seen from the seventies and there are 38 more films I've seen that are considered locks, with another 10-15 that could potentially squeeze in yet. Of course, that's the fun of this unveil, seeing favorites on the list, and also being able to dig into films the forum loves that I haven't seen.

Only seen 3, but this list is currently looking great. I think I would like a lot of the films on it.

Sigh.

Two more I've not seen, which leaves me at having seen only 2/18 so far with none from my list.
Also I'm definitely sure my #1 didn't make it. I wonder if anybody else even voted for it? Probably not.

My List
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)
If you're definitely sure, I think you can reveal your number 1 now. I'm curious!

Straw Dogs was #7 on my list, probably the most intense film from the 70s. Here's what I wrote in the Movie Tab when I saw it not long ago.

Just got finished watching Straw Dogs, and holy ****, I don't remember the last a film has given me such an adrenaline rush. I'll try to collect my thoughts and write a review.

Straw Dogs (1971, Peckinpah)

Straw Dogs has an eerie feel from the start, intellect American, David (Dustin Hoffman) movies into a villager with his maturely younger S.O., Amy (Susan George). It's obvious in this film that **** is going to go down, you can figure from every poster... or if you just heard of the movie from someone, so perhaps it was premeditated that I'd feel some intensity, but the film itself definitely creates an uptight atmosphere. David and Amy have their differences, David's more mature but Amy has more smarts when it comes to the locals. They have some tense trivial arguments, but sexually they're happy. The surrounding characters are not so pleasant, except for some elitists everyone surrounding is trash, or soon to be trash. British hicks who have no entertainment outside of drinking or fantasizing over David's bombshell wife.

Trouble comes towards David's household, and trouble comes hard. It begins with some animal cruelty which always hits the emotions, and then a harsh rape scene. Difficult to watch, and feels comparable to the one in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The irony is, David came to this village to escape the chaos of America, with the war protests, race riots, notable assassinations really concentrated only three years before this films release date.

The notorious final sequence features insane violence, built up by a harrowing intensity. The plot line behind this was much more intricate than I expected, since this was no pointless violence. The film obviously doesn't endorse violence, but Peckinpah was not pulling a Haneke stunt, because I was hot headed and yelling for David to kill the bastards. David became a man and defended his household, and I'll applaud that. David also became a badass, not a super hero but that Bernhard Goetz type badass. Rooting for David was an exhilarating film watching experience, but also harsh since a true moral dilemma exists.

Dustin Hoffman compared to Berhnard Goetz

Straw Dogs is among the most intense films I've ever seen, which gets crazier and crazier as it goes along. With an amazing performance from one of the greats in Dustin Hoffman. Isolation is scary, but being alone is far from the scariest.

-

I thought it would be higher on the list, but this placement isn't bad.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie has been on my watchlist for awhile, as I think Bunuel is a pretty good director. I guess this means The Phantom of Liberty won't make it since Discreet Charm seems a lot more well known.

If you're definitely sure, I think you can reveal your number 1 now. I'm curious!
I don't want to get in trouble with Holden, so I'll reveal it in a post comment.

She told me in PM, it's

WARNING: "Miss Vicky" spoilers below
Star Wars

It's an original choice, MV, but I'm afraid you're right and that it won't make the list. You should've campaigned for it, like I did for some of my favorites (although they'll probably not make it either ).

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The one I campaigned for will not make it. There is another I should have campaigned for because I'm now afraid it won't make the list.

I doubt that campaigning would've done much good. I know there are a couple of other MoFos that really like it, so I initially had some hope, but with 99 lists "a couple" just doesn't cut it. Oh well.