The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain

Bonnie and Clyde was my #11

Bonnie and Clyde was one of the first films to have extreme (at that time) on-screen violence and cruel humor influenced by screwball comedies. Because of that it received heavily negative reviews, but today this formula has been popularized by many directors, so today the film won't be as amazing right?

Actually, it's the opposite. Many violent crime films miss something crucial, and that is a sense of heavy tragedy balanced with comedy. Sure, you know at the end most will die but before those moments torture scenes accompanied by rock music and monologues based on a bible passage take place.

In Bonnie and Clyde, there is none of the above, instead the fall from grace starts almost at the very beginning of the film, as Bonnie Parker (Faye Dunaway) meets Clyde Barrow (Warren Beaty) and starts a life of crime, the motive: I'm bored of my job.

The amount of blood and carnage is quite mild from a more recent viewpoint, but the way it's treated is what makes it gruesome. The deaths usually come upon innocent, peaceful people. In the next shot, they are blown up to pieces.

But in the midst of the chaos, this film is beautiful. The humor works every time, mainly because we are sucked into the crime world of The Great Depression, even though Bonnie and Clyde do notorious deeds throughout we can feel their vibrant love. There's a line between beauty and tragedy, and Bonnie and Clyde stands right above it, unstable, but certain, driving forward with rebellious energy.

Oh and in the spirit of the two ruthless couple: This film is awesome, if you don't like it, well, f*ck you.

So is Woman in the Dunes out at this point? I've already given up on The Face of Another

Bonnie & Clyde was my #16.

ON MY LIST

11. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
15. Hud
16. Bonnie & Clyde
25. Rape (1 pointer)

So is Woman in the Dunes out at this point? I've already given up on The Face of Another
Woman in the Dunes will be fairly high I imagine.

What the hell is so special about this Woman in the Dunes movie I hear about so much? Why is she in the Dunes?

Master of My Domain
You'll probably hate it Sexy. And that's why you should watch it.

You'll probably hate it Sexy. And that's why you should watch it.
Agreed. Sexy needs to torture himself with stuff he'll hate more often.

I hate that stuff too... too boring for me sadly (it's probably a great movie tho but not for me)

I hate that stuff too... too boring for me sadly (it's probably a great movie tho but not for me)
I assume when you say that "it's probably a great movie" it means you haven't seen it, right?
If so, then how do you know it's "too boring" for you?

I assume when you say that "it's probably a great movie" it means you haven't seen it, right?
If so, then how do you know it's "too boring" for you?
the director, the look of the movie, foreign, the duration, the actors... it's like a sleeping pills for me.

the director, the look of the movie, foreign, the duration, the actors... it's like a sleeping pills for me.
"The look of the movie"? As in it's black and white or?
Also "foreign = boring"?
What about "the actors" or "the director"?
And the duration? It's just over two hours. That's pretty standard for a drama.

What have you seen from the director? What looks wrong with it? Practically every movie you watch is foreign since you originally speak French, yes? Why nothing else?

You really have to try it to compare it to sleeping pills.

"The look of the movie"? As in it's black and white or?
Also "foreign = boring"?
What about "the actors" or "the director"?
And the duration? It's just over two hours. That's pretty standard for a drama.
Yes like Minio said I'm a pretty ''mainstream'' cinephile and I'm totally ok with that

Yes like Minio said I'm a pretty ''mainstream'' cinephile and I'm totally ok with that
So am I. That's not really relevant.

It's kind of a falsehood to say you're a "mainstream cinephile" if the reason why you only like mainstream films is because you won't watch arthouse.