Oscar's Best Picture 2024

Tools    

Which will be the Academy's next Best Picture?
0%
0 votes
American Fiction
0%
0 votes
Anatomy of a Fall
0%
0 votes
Barbie
16.67%
4 votes
The Holdovers
12.50%
3 votes
Killers of the Flower Moon
0%
0 votes
Maestro
62.50%
15 votes
Oppenheimer
0%
0 votes
Past Lives
4.17%
1 votes
Poor Things
4.17%
1 votes
The Zone of Interest
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The trick is not minding
I don't know anything about American Fiction, but as for the rest, it is the rare list of nominations where none of them nauseate me. No I havent seen many of them, but none of them look like the fake ass pap they normally like to cover in award splooge.
American Fiction is probably my favorite of the nominations. Really great film.

American Fiction is probably my favorite of the nominations. Really great film.

That's good to hear.

I think this might be the first time (at least since they started nominating ten movies) where I actually sort of want to see all of them.

So far, have just seen Maestro and Poor Things. Both very good. Probably preferred Maestro, but only just slightly.

I'm really looking forward to American Fiction, the trailer looked great, and Jeffrey Wright's a wonderful actor. Insofar as you can tell these things from a few minutes, it seemed very smart, but very funny, and like it might have a lot of nuanced, insightful things to say. Here's hoping.

The trick is not minding
That's good to hear.

I think this might be the first time (at least since they started nominating ten movies) where I actually sort of want to see all of them.

So far, have just seen Maestro and Poor Things. Both very good. Probably preferred Maestro, but only just slightly.
Takoma was a big fan of it as well. We saw it together and spent like, an hour discussing it afterwards.

A system of cells interlinked
Watched The Holdovers last night, which was wonderful. My wife and I both loved it, and it was fun to see some of the locations from our area.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Watched The Holdovers last night, which was wonderful. My wife and I both loved it, and it was fun to see some of the locations from our area.
I'm a big Giamatti fan, and I loved The Holdovers too. It could have easily fallen into schmaltzy or trite territory, but somehow it didn't. It walked that fine line beautifully.

So fun that you also got to see locations nearby!

A system of cells interlinked
I'm a big Giamatti fan, and I loved The Holdovers too. It could have easily fallen into schmaltzy or trite territory, but somehow it didn't. It walked that fine line beautifully.

So fun that you also got to see locations nearby!
He knocked it out of the park in this role. Dark horse for the win for best actor?

I'm really looking forward to American Fiction, the trailer looked great, and Jeffrey Wright's a wonderful actor. Insofar as you can tell these things from a few minutes, it seemed very smart, but very funny, and like it might have a lot of nuanced, insightful things to say. Here's hoping.

Oh, Jeffrey Wright is in it. That's a good thing right off the bat

I loved him back in the day when he did just about the most perfect Basquiat imaginable, and have been happy to see his career take off the last decade or so.

As much as I liked Giamatti's performance in The Holdovers (he's always first rate), I felt the movie itself to be predictable, familiar, and it dragged a little.

The trick is not minding

I loved him back in the day when he did just about the most perfect Basquiat imaginable, and have been happy to see his career take off the last decade or so.
Yeah, he’s pretty great in it. In a perfect world, Wright wins BA for this role.

As much as I liked Giamatti's performance in The Holdovers (he's always first rate), I felt the movie itself to be predictable, familiar, and it dragged a little.

For me Holdovers is the best for it's subties and nuances. Lets be real here...we're talking about a teacher movie and a Christmas movie. Likely the two of the toughest sub genres to elevate to high art. I would love to see Giamatti get his Oscar (and then achieve his dream of being a BOND villian) .

For me

1. The Holdovers
2. Oppenheimer
3. Killers of the Flower Moon
4. Anatomy of a Fall
5. Past Lives
6. Barbie

Still have a few to catch up on.

Going to the cinema tomorrow for The Holdovers & Poor Things, still to catch up with Maestro on streaming, neither American Fiction nor The Zone of Interest has been released here in the UK yet, while Anatomy of a Fall was at the cinema here, but there was no AD/translation available so hopefully will be able to find this online.
Have now caught up with Poor Things and The Holdovers, American Fiction and The Zone of Interest are being wide released here in the UK this weekend, so will probably catch them on Monday or Tuesday.

Poor Things is clearly very divisive, and really I cannot see the Academy having anywhere near the amount of bravery they'd need to reward this in the way they did The Shape of Water, which was such a safe treatment of the Creature of the Black Lagoon tale, compared with this Frankenstein-esque Victorian tale.

The Holdovers is a solid movie and while it has some really good performances, I can't see it coming close in this catagory. Best Orig Screenplay might be it's best chance.

As of today, Past Lives is streaming on Prime (in Canada) or Paramount+ (in US). I watched it on Prime and thought it was good, but not great. I would rate it
. I've now seen 8 of the 10 best picture nominees. My ranking:

1. Oppenheimer
2. The Holdovers
3. The Zone of Interest
4. Maestro
5. Killers of the Flower Moon
6. Past Lives
7. Anatomy of a Fall
8. Barbie

American Fiction is now available to buy digitally. I bought it today and just finished watching it. American Fiction is a really well written, funny, smart, surprising film with a career best performance by Jeffrey Wright. I would rank it 2nd out of the best picture nominees. I've now seen 9 of the 10 nominees.

Yes that was an excellent film. I haven't seen a film by Schnabel in a long time. I would love to see something new from him.
I just googled Schnabel and he has a new film coming soonish, In the Hand of Dante.