Movie Tab II

Tools    

The Thing
(John Carpenter, 1982)

A cult horror classic, this film is a great example of why such films should focus on suspense and psychological horror rather than physical, in your face shocks - although it can be argued that this has both. The film deals with paranoia as a science research crew begin to fear for their lives as they discover they are under attack from a shape shifting monster. Although the characters are quite shallow and forgettable, I felt that unlike some horrors, this was okay for the plot. Kurt Russell gives an enjoyable performance and the final scene leaves you attempting to piece together what you have just seen, and closer viewings reveal that the monster and the way it operates are extremely cleverly written. In one scene I actually jumped too, which is not an often occurrence these days with predictable horror films, the blood test scene which was built up brilliantly.

Dirty Harry (Don Siegel, 1971)

Possibly Eastwood's most well known film as an actor, my first proper viewing had been a long awaited one. Eastwood works great as an action star set on delivering his own personal justice to the 'Scorpio' killer, a role different from his work with Leone, but also similar in a lot of ways, we watch this cool, collected and extremely likeable character assert his masculinity through enjoyable violence. The ending is very well known and often quoted, and was as great as I hoped it to be, despite Eastwood's characters political views (he finds himself in trouble with the police/legal system) not matching my own, Siegel does a great job in making them highly enjoyable to watch.

Blades of Glory (Josh Gordon & Will Speck, 2007)

A comedy film that is pretty much what you would expect from Will Ferrell and Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite), although I must say this is one of the better 'dumb comedies' I have seen and it did surpass my expectations at times. It is very stupid at times, but provides a decent number of laughs, a decent effort that will probably please a lot more people than me.

American Reunion (John Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg, 2012)

I am not the biggest fan of the American Pie films, I never really watched them when I was a that young (Probably watched the first when I was about 15) so I didn't find myself enjoying some of the more teenage orientated scenes as well as I would of if I was younger, although it is meant to be a kind of fun 'coming of age/leaving school' type film, it didn't do too much for me apart from a few scenes which were genuinely really funny. I do not though think that this is the weakest of the series, and fans of the original will surely like it, but I set here now attempting to write a paragraph about it and I find myself remembering barely anything of note to write about.

Little Nicky (Steven Brill, 2000)

I am not a big Sandler fan, which puts me probably in the majority here, but I would not say I hate him. I had been told that this along with Happy Gilmore (not seen) was one of his more enjoyable older films, however now watching it I can only disagree. I know comedies like this are supposed to be silly, but this was just really strange and made even more bizarre by some of the actors that appear in it. I love Harvey Keitel and like Patricia Arquette (for True Romance, at least) and Rhys Ifans (a fellow Welshman) well enough, but they couldn't stop this from being a poor film. Keitel looks like he is having fun, but I have no idea why he would do something like this, unless he just wanted to to do just that, have fun with something different (I recall Al Pacino recently appeared in Jack and Jill too). Quentin Tarantino's small character is even more bizarre, I could not help but laugh at his scenes.

L.A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson, 1997)

A film that is a fantastic reminder of why I love films, a love letter to film noir but a very respectable one in itself, the film oozes style and has some great performances that makes it a top viewing experience. Guy Pearce and Russell Crowe (who would have guessed two Neighbours stars would be such great actors here) are great in their contrasting good cop, bad cop roles, then there's lots of other top performances from the likes of Kevin Spacey, Kim Basinger (who looks nothing like 44), Danny DeVito and James Cromwell. In true noir style, the film excels in all the right departs, direction, cinematography, sound and perhaps most importantly script.

Natural Born Killers (Oliver Stone, 1994)

This film is a hell of a ride, and it had me hooked from the opening scene, one of my favourites in the film as we see Stone/Richardson beautifully construct a scene using various different shots and photography styles to create a highly energetic, hyper scene where we are introduced to the film's main characters, Mickey and Mallory. There are a few things I don't understand about people who complain about this film, the first is complaints about violence, I am honestly going to say I do not think this film was very violent. Sure it deals with a lot of blood/violent scenes but the killings are never explicitly shown in detail and it was never difficult to watch for me. The second is the complaint about its satirical (or not) nature with Stone coming under some criticism for his removal of Tarantino's original comedic elements, turning the film into violent entertainment that it is supposed to mock, I don't get this because all the way through I found the film to be a comedy, it is about as over the top as you could get, its in your face stupid at times, but that's what makes it such a great experience. I loved Robert Downey Jr.'s hilarious character for the film's second half, some of the ending prison scenes are also brilliant.

Since my last post, I've been having some good watches. Mainly recent films lately (1994 up), just a trend I guess.

Cosmopolis, Cronenberg, 2012

Good watches, outside of this P.O.S. The only other Cronenberg film I've seen is Videodrome, I gave that film a 2/5, but this makes it look like a masterpiece. Honestly this was utter crap all the way to its shallow core. It's nice to see Pattinson out of a romantic movie, but he picked up Kristen Stewarts technique of not acting, or showing emotion. The goal of surrealism was failed, and the indescribable pointlessness of scenes is beyond my belief. I'll be honest and admit I couldn't finish this, but I'm not willing to torture myself. The cheapness of how it was set up, and the fact that when there's a punch thrown it looks like how it'd be seen in a highschool play, made this the worst film of 2012. In one word it's unbearable.

Hope Springs, Frankel, 2012

I actually was excited for this film and really did hope to like it. Most of the funny parts were revealed in the trailer though, and I felt it was over sextualized to feel touching. It's almost just I expected more from a movie where Streep and Tommy Lee Jones and getting couple counseled by Steve Carrel. The worse thing was the intrusive and over used score though, one of the most irritating I've heard.
-

Metropia, Saleh, 2009

Metropia has beautiful video game style animation, and honestly this made up for all of its flaws. It has a lot to be built on, but it had enough visual pleasure to make it more noticeable than a weak story and narration. The voice acting was bad, but I soon got over that to.

The War on Kids, Soling, 2009

The War on Kids is amongst the greatest documentaries I've seen. It shows the problems of the public school system in an outspoken point of view. It shows how our schools are modeled after prisons, and children are treated as prisoners. It is biased, but I agreed with everything that was being said. Which ranged from zero tolerance to the myth of ADHD. As a student myself maybe in 15 years I won't feel this film as much as I do now, but I hope that I will always recognize this message. Unless this message would be out dated in the future, which would be a great thing. The film even got me enraged at some points, especially when talking about the whole guilty until proven innocent approach. It was also lively and entertaining, full of energy, and even humorous. The people interviewed were animated, and knowledgeable. It'd be an interesting day if this was shown to every high schooler across the nation.
-

Movies that either are or will be talked about in my self challenge thread:
Three Colors: White-

Three Colors: Red-

Barking Dogs Never Bite

TV documentaries:
The True Story of Rasputin-
-
Nuremburg: Tyranny on Trial-

mark f.....what are some movies that you give more than four bags of popcorn to?
All of these:

Originally Posted by mark f
Room at the Top (Jack Clayton, 1959)
The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)
The Maltese Falcon (John Huston, 1941)

Bonnie and Clyde (Arthur Penn, 1967)
Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1993)

Cabaret (Bob Fosse, 1972)
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (Joe Dante, 1990)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (William Dieterle, 1939)

The Trouble With Harry (Alfred Hitchcock, 1955)

Ben-Hur (William Wyler, 1959)
North By Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock, 1959)
From Russia With Love (Terence Young, 1963) -
Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964) -
Poltergeist (Tobe Hooper, 1982) +

The Caine Mutiny (Edward Dmytryk, 1954)
Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (David Lean, 1957)
Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)

A system of cells interlinked
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim, 2003)

Amazing stuff. A quiet, meditative study on the cycle of life. Zen on film.

The Graduate

Judging from its cultural influence, I thought this would be a sex comedy- and it does start out that way, as hapless graduate Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) begins an affair with older woman Mrs Robinson (Anne Bancroft) but then falls in love with her daughter Elaine (Katharine Ross). But it actually proves to be a rather melancholy meditation on what happens after university and what your future will be. The music (Simon and Garfunkel songs, in particular The Sound of Silence) brilliantly reflect the ennui and confusion of Ben as he tries to figure out his life.

The film raises more questions than answers, which is a little frustrating, but it also makes it very modern, and you can see why it strikes a cord with people. There are also a lot of shots of Dustin Hoffman staring, which does make the film quite slow in places but again, it fits in with the theme.

The love story is sweet, but again, it's more about Ben and his uncertainties over his future- and to an extent, Mrs Robinson and Elaine's uncertainties. So for anyone expecting a rip-roaring farce, what you're really getting here is something rather tragicomic and a little deeper than it's known in popular culture.

I'd recommend it for fans of American Beauty and Lost in Translation.

Last few weeks have been kind of light on movies, I watched one classic, one blockbuster and the first three movies of the remake of the anime tv series Evangelion:

Battleship Potemkin -

One of the most overrated movies ever made considerig it's reputation, though it must have been revolutionary in 1925 now it feels a bit plain.

Iron Man 3 -
+

Straight Hollywood blockbuster, fun and forgettable.

Evangelion 1.0 -

This is a straight remake of the first six episodes of the TV series. Given that many consider it to be the greatest TV series ever made it managed to deliver a more refined telling of the first 1/4 of the TV series.

Evangelion 2.0 -

That's possibly the best movie ever made featuring Godzilla-like monsters. It has some serious problems related to two corny moments when they decided to play J pop-songs during the film's two climaxes and the introduction of a useless character considering the themes of the film. But these flaws are not enough for me to take out any points from the rating, given the extreme emotional hellride it was.

Evangelion 3.0 -
-

Here the extreme corny problems of the film were enough to make me substantial cuts on the rating. Much weaker than the other movies and the TV series.

A 3.5 for one of the most over rated movies ever made seems like one of highest over ratings of a movie, based on that statement. I'd give it (Potemkin) the same rating as you, but I consider a quiet good movie.

The Great Gatsby
(directed by Baz Luhrmann, 2013)

Thoughts I said in the Shoutbox:

I saw The Great Gatsby last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it... it has moments of greatness mixed in with moments of blandness. Tobey Maguire felt kind of strange to me, too. Like an alien. Like when you suspect someone you love has been taken over by alien pods. I need to process it all some more.

Apparently someone said it's the best work Leonardo DiCaprio's ever done... I don't believe that's true at all. They're crazy if someone actually thought that.

He was good, but... it just doesn't seem like a showcase movie for his talent and especially for Tobey Maguire. Tobey Maguire seems quite lessened around Leonardo DiCaprio. Diminished. He seemed strongest in scenes where it's the future and he's alone with a doctor and he's writing the book about Gatsby.

It felt like someone took a classic work of literature and made a pop culture party out of it. I felt like I went to the movies to attend a party... with RAP MUSIC playing throughout it. Need I say more? Rap music. Not jazz music. RAP MUSIC.

And the ending felt like it had a major homoerotic subtext.

It felt like it was in league with Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette, but not as good. Also made me think of Baz's Romeo and Juliet, even though I haven't seen all of that movie yet. It looks like a '90s cult movie got a sequel with aged characters. It doesn't really feel with the times. The rap music seems like it's trying hard to fit in. There's something about it, combined with Leonardo and Tobey being the main stars, that just makes it feel... OLD. While trying to also be young. It's like the Joan Rivers of movies.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	GG-14241r-550x282.jpg
Views:	2129
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	10549  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Amateurs (Michael Traeger, 2005)

Underworld: Awakening (Mans Marlind & Bjorn Stein, 2012)

Spirits of the Dead (Roger Vadim, Louis Malle, Federico Fellini, 1968)
– Fellini’s episode is best, by far
The Amityville Horror (Stuart Rosenburg, 1979)

Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick, 1987)

The Vow (Michael Sucsy, 2012)

The Day the Fish Came Out (Michael Cacoyannis, 1967)

Salvation Boulevard (George Ratliff, 2011)

Alias Smith and Jones (Gene Levitt, 1971)

I Only Want You to Love Me (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1976)

Anonymous (Roland Emmerich, 2011)

A River Runs Through It (Robert Redford, 1992)
-
The Strangler (Burt Topper, 1964)
+
Crime and Punishment (Josef von Sternberg, 1935)

Cold Weather (Aaron Katz, 2010)

The Falcon’s Brother (Stanley Logan, 1942)

Fighting Mad (Jonathan Demme, 1976)
+
The Nutcracker: The Untold Story (Andrei Konchalovsky, 2009)

Angels Crest (Gaby Dellal, 2011)

Kon-Tiki (Thor Heyerdahl, 1950)

Star Trek Into Darkness

(Potential Spoilers) - typos and illiteracy amended on Review Thread post

Undecided if this one was inspired or lazy.

The film jumps straight to the end of a mission which serves to primarily setup the dichotomy of Spock's pragmatism and Kirk's brashness to echo over the film. Secondarily to pay lip service to the 'Prime Directive' although any of Spock's adherence to this (which is what sets the aforementioned theme into play) is overshadowed by hypocrisy inherent in their mission itself. It left a funny taste in my mouth, at least until they directly addressed back on Earth by the excellent Robocop.

Cut to John Harrison setting up the films main narrative and pulling some pranks on Star Fleet back on Earth. All very enigmatic, nicely staged and shot, leading into Kirk's mission of destroying him. Some rather unsubtle foreshadowing that all is not what it seems with his task. We meet the remodelled Klingons, which wasn't too keen on new versions but they're mostly a plot device to set some peril and show that John Harrison is maybe not such a bad guy but definitely a bad ass. The Enterprise forget that he's massacred a few chaps back at the office and buddy up against Robocop who turns out to be the real villain. The whole bureaucrat pulling strings is quite a tired trend and he turns out to be ultimately disposable. And it all serves as a very thinly veiled distraction to John Harrison actual agenda and inevitable deception. There's a lot of wasted time when they could be turning JH into a much more active and threatening villain. Shame considering. The film suffers by getting distraction between the core Kirk/Spock dynamic and trying to include uneven and diluted antagonists, neither quite getting into the full swing of the job.

It's a fun ride and full of big lovely effects and overused digital lense flares, and isn't actually too bad in 3D. They definitely enjoy throwing nods to fans, which I won't spoil as they're the real treat in the film. However, they become possibly too preoccupied with them and the deviations don't serve any purpose other than to avoid being verbatim of another film. What was an inspired device in the previous entry is a nice mask to reuse and redo canon. The foundation of the film is meant to be dichotomy of Spock and Kirk and Quinto does a marvellously nuanced Nimoy impression but Kirk is written as near incompetent. So when it comes to the character climax, it doesn't quite have the same emotional hit or sign of development it should - yet you get the feeling the makers were giving themselves a big pat on the back with it. As is symptomatic with Hollywood these days, it also lacks any conviction to the actions. The scenes it takes from still makes me well up after several viewings, this didn't manage it once.

It seems like the final piece before a traditional Trek film and does at least know the right buttons it should be hitting, even if doesn't quite push them hard enough. It's one of those films that needs a second viewing to appreciate, I feel. I did vocally cheer one point in the film, which i've tried to avoid revealing. All in all, the best compliment I can pay to it is it's firmed a resolve that I do not want JJ directing Star Wars. He's created a fantastic Trek universe and don't want to see him doing another franchise and replacing characters into same world, be to the detriment of both.

I didn't hate Simon Pegg this time though, accent aside, so gets a bit of extra credit.

Some recent watches...

Gloria (John Cassavetes, 1980) -

Blood and Black Lace (Mario Bava, 1964) -

The Untouchables (Brian de Palma, 1987) -

Seven (David Fincher, 1995) -

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004) -

Room 237 (Rodney Ascher, 2012) -

The Purple Rose of Cairo (Woody Allen, 1985) -

Voyage to Italy (Roberto Rossellini, 1954) -

Iron Man 3 (Shane Black, 2013) -

My Night at Maud's (Eric Rohmer, 1969) -

Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984) -

Side by Side (2012) by Christopher Kenneally

Kon-Tiki (2012) by Joachim Rřnning and Espen Sandberg

Cloud Atlas (2012) by Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer and Andy Wachowski

In My Skin (2002) by Marina de Van

Blancanieves (2012) by Pablo Berger
+

The Place Beyond the Pines (2013) by Derek Cianfrance

Room 237 (2012) by Rodney Ascher
+

Antichrist (2009) by Lars von Trier

The Deep Blue Sea (2011) by Terence Davies
+

Soldier of Orange (1977) by Paul Verhoeven

Letters from a Dead Man (1986) by Konstantin Lopushansky

The Limits of Control (2009) by Jim Jarmusch
+

Bonsai (2011) by Cristián Jiménez

The Golden Fortress (1974) by Satyajit Ray
+

Side Effects (2013) by Steven Soderbergh

Broken City
-

I found this movie to be formulaic and yet convoluted all at once and filled with unsympathetic and, in some cases, unnecessary characters. It's pretty to look at and Crowe turned in a solid performance as the corrupt Mayor, but really nothing particularly stellar could be made from what he had to work with. Probably best to just skip the movie and watch the trailer I posted, it pretty much gives everything away anyway.

The Great Gatsby
+

I've hated this story ever since being forced to read the novel in high school, and I still don't like the story itself, but I actually found myself pretty well engaged in the film. I know a lot of people have complained about the soundtrack (rap in the roaring 20's?) but I found it far less distracting than some of the very artificial looking "special effects" (despite seeing it in 2D). Actually I barely noticed the rap music at all. There's no denying that it doesn't fit the period the film is set in, but it does fit the mood and atmosphere of the movie rather well.

In any case, I was quite distracted from the music by the stellar performance of DiCaprio who brought dreamer and romantic J. Gatsby to heartwrenching life. The rest of the cast seemed to fall a bit short, though I'm not sure if the fault there was with the acting or the script. Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway was all awkwardness and wide-eyed naivete that I found more annoying than endearing and Mulligan's valliant attempt to make Daisy seem less the shallow, heartless b*tch she is just didn't quite cut it.

A 3.5 for one of the most over rated movies ever made seems like one of highest over ratings of a movie, based on that statement. I'd give it (Potemkin) the same rating as you, but I consider a quiet good movie.
I was expecting a
movie.

For instance, Tokyo Story, The Passion of Joan D'Arc, Persona, The Mirror, Taxi Driver, Seven Samurai, Apocalypse Now and 2001 are movies that show up regularly in greatest films lists and all these movies are either
or
movies. These movies didn't disappoint. Potemkin was disappointing.

The Great Gatsby
+

I've hated this story ever since being forced to read the novel in high school, and I still don't like the story itself, but I actually found myself pretty well engaged in the film. I know a lot of people have complained about the soundtrack (rap in the roaring 20's?) but I found it far less distracting than some of the very artificial looking "special effects" (despite seeing it in 2D). Actually I barely noticed the rap music at all. There's no denying that it doesn't fit the period the film is set in, but it does fit the mood and atmosphere of the movie rather well.

In any case, I was quite distracted from the music by the stellar performance of DiCaprio who brought dreamer and romantic J. Gatsby to heartwrenching life. The rest of the cast seemed to fall a bit short, though I'm not sure if the fault there was with the acting or the script. Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway was all awkwardness and wide-eyed naivete that I found more annoying than endearing and Mulligan's valliant attempt to make Daisy seem less the shallow, heartless b*tch she is just didn't quite cut it.
I particularly did not care for Carey Mulligan's performance. She was not interesting and remarkable. The other women though -- particulary Jordan (Elizabeth Debicki) as well as Myrtle (Isha Fisher) and Catherine (Adelaide Clemens) -- they were fierce, I thought. They fit with the movie.

You gave this movie the same rating I did. I was certainly engaged with it -- its 2 hours and 20 minutes length did not feel long to me. The Place Beyond the Pines was the same running time and it felt LONG compared to The Great Gatsby. But there's a bunch of things that didn't feel well done to me. I don't think the rap music was the worst part of it. It just didn't feel all that stunning and special to me. I went to see the guys -- Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire -- and it just feels like a mediocre movie compared to other things they've done. And Tobey Maguire shouldn't have had that role. He is playing second fiddle to Leo and coming across like some kind of virgin spinster woman/closeted homosexual thing or something. Maguire has more cojones than we think. He could have played Gatsby. It is so easy for Leo to play someone like Gatsby -- it would have been more impressive if they had switched roles. It would have made the film strike more of a nerve with people, I think, which could have made the film stronger.

I was expecting a
movie.

For instance, Tokyo Story, The Passion of Joan D'Arc, Persona, The Mirror, Taxi Driver, Seven Samurai, Apocalypse Now and 2001 are movies that show up regularly in greatest films lists and all these movies are either
or
movies. These movies didn't disappoint. Potemkin was disappointing.
Potemkin is mostly heralded for its montage editing. I'd argue those films you mentioned are thought of as great films, rather than innovative or a landmark in cinema history.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Les Miserables - I was duly impressed with and really moved by this film. The performances, the actors, even the kind of off beat way it was done (use of hand held cameras, the songs were all performed live) were spot on. Hugh Jackman makes an excellent Jean Valjean, and Anne Hathaway is heart wrenching as the doomed factory worker, Fantine, plus great comedy relief by Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen as a pair of shady innkeepers. I loved how you could see and feel the emotion in the songs and on the actors faces due to the director's use of close ups and "you are there" sort of filmmaking. I loved this movie a lot.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

A system of cells interlinked
Restrepo (Junger, 2010)

Yikes. Documentary about Outpost Restrepo, a small forward military outpost in the Korengal Valley. Hard hitting and stark, this is a must watch.