A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Did you just rub my lamp?
Sorry, I got no wishes for ya.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Did anybody watch 'Influencer' ? Kind of goofy in places but a pretty nice twisty kind of thriller with horror elements

I have several times lingered on it on Shudder before going, "Nah!"

So, no, but now I'm intrigued. I haven't heard anything about it---good or bad--since its release.

The Gift (2000). I know this is considered some under-seen gem but it was a bit too lackadaisical for me. It’s got a helluva cast though. I especially loved Keanu Reeves playing against type as a shitkicker wife-beater.

The Bone Collector. I was expecting a Se7en ripoff and it’s only sorta that. I remember when this movie came out everyone was saying now gruesome it was, but it seemed pretty tame to me, even for 1999. I got drunk off spiced rum while watching it and it’s the perfect movie to get drunk off spiced rum to. But I spotted that killer from a mile away even drunk on spiced rum.

The trick is not minding
Baskin is surprisingly good for what it is. Little bit of Hellraiser vibes with a good villain.

The Witch I've seen ages ago as it's, not so surprisingly, shown on Finnish television multiple times. It's based on a play by Mika Waltari and, as far as I remember, it's quite light on horror. I guess you could call it folk horror - it's somewhat dreamy and slow and doesn't really know where it wants to go. Quite a bit of nudity, if my memory is functioning properly. I'm pretty sure the other Finnish horror from the same year, The White Reindeer, is better.
I just realized I confused the plot between Lokis and The Witch, with Lokis being the folk horror film. Planning on watching them both the next week

A system of cells interlinked
Did anybody watch 'Influencer' ? Kind of goofy in places but a pretty nice twisty kind of thriller with horror elements

Watched this last night with the wife, and we both liked it! Thanks for the rec!

Watched this last night with the wife, and we both liked it! Thanks for the rec!
Glad you enjoyed. Not a masterpiece or anything but one of those that was better than I thought it was going to be.

A system of cells interlinked
Glad you enjoyed. Not a masterpiece or anything but one of those that was better than I thought it was going to be.

Agreed. The funny thing is:

WARNING: "Influencer" spoilers below
As the psycho chick was heading back to the original island with the two dead bodies, I remarked to my wife "Watch, she will get back and the blonde will have gone all Tarzan, and will end up kicking her ass and stealing the boat."

I was joking, as there was just no way that nitwit YouTuber would be able to survive on an island with no resources. Right? RIGHT???

Vampire Circus -

This is a very entertaining movie from Hammer that's bound to please Gothic horror and vampire story lover alike. In the 19th century, a small Serbian town's residents are fed up with the less than neighborly Count Mitterhaus spiriting away their children, so they band together, dispatch him and destroy his mansion. Many years later, the town is quarantined due to a plague, so everyone is desperate for entertainment. A traveling circus arrives at just the right time, and as the title indicates, they may have other intentions.

While you may be as tired of the phrase "takes it to the next level" as I am and equally unsure what it actually means, in relation to the average Hammer movie, it applies here. The blood, guts and well, other mature content is more shocking than I've come to expect from the studio and even from today's average horror movie, yet it surprisingly manages to do it tastefully despite animals and the young being involved. With nearly all of the townsfolk, vampires and circus performers having speaking parts, the movie also deviates from the studio's typical economy of characters, but I never felt like it was convoluted, nor did I forget who is who. Even though this means there's limited time to flesh out Anton - the would-be protagonist - every victory for him, his family or the town was still a relief while every setback was a punch to the gut. Oh, and best of all, if you also keep revisiting the Hammer catalog for its capacity to surprise, I'll just say you won't be let down.

Again, the blood and guts are on another level, but I wouldn't say the same for the average special effect. There are some that might have made 1972 audiences laugh unintentionally, in other words. Other than that, I wouldn't say it's my very favorite Hammer movie, but it's up there, particularly for how atypically bold and daring it comes across. It also demonstrates that they didn't need to rely on an icon like Dracula or Frankenstein to make great horror.

The Gift (2000). I know this is considered some under-seen gem but it was a bit too lackadaisical for me. It’s got a helluva cast though. I especially loved Keanu Reeves playing against type as a shitkicker wife-beater.
My sister and I, when the phone rings, will sometimes go: "MAMMMMAAAA! PHONE'S RINGIN'!!!!"

Also, Keanu Reeves has dark, dark eyes and that gift of some actors to hold very still, and it's kind of a thrill when movies realize how to use this to their advantage. (See also: Neon Demon.

Vampire Circus -

This is a very entertaining movie from Hammer that's bound to please Gothic horror and vampire story lover alike. In the 19th century, a small Serbian town's residents are fed up with the less than neighborly Count Mitterhaus spiriting away their children, so they band together, dispatch him and destroy his mansion. Many years later, the town is quarantined due to a plague, so everyone is desperate for entertainment. A traveling circus arrives at just the right time, and as the title indicates, they may have other intentions.
Your rating is a star short, but I'll allow it. This is SUCH a great movie. Sexy and scary and rich in plot and visuals.

V/H/S ‘85. Can’t have the spooky season without an anthology. This new batch of shorts were pretty weak in general but I guess I liked the third one for being so weird and one of the later segments had a cool little trick up it’s sleeve.

Cabin Fever, 2002 (A)

This movie has everything I would hate in that kind of movie, but cranked up so high and so earnestly, I can't help but love it. It feels like Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, but not a comedy. Although it does have tons of fun. It's excessive, gory, gross, funny and everything you might want in a dumb horror film. Nothing here is pretending to be high art. It's so early 2000s too, which I have a soft spot for. Fantastic film.

Victim of The Night
Vampire Circus -

While you may be as tired of the phrase "takes it to the next level" as I am and equally unsure what it actually means, in relation to the average Hammer movie, it applies here. The blood, guts and well, other mature content is more shocking than I've come to expect from the studio and even from today's average horror movie, yet it surprisingly manages to do it tastefully despite animals and the young being involved. With nearly all of the townsfolk, vampires and circus performers having speaking parts, the movie also deviates from the studio's typical economy of characters, but I never felt like it was convoluted, nor did I forget who is who. Even though this means there's limited time to flesh out Anton - the would-be protagonist - every victory for him, his family or the town was still a relief while every setback was a punch to the gut. Oh, and best of all, if you also keep revisiting the Hammer catalog for its capacity to surprise, I'll just say you won't be let down.

Again, the blood and guts are on another level, but I wouldn't say the same for the average special effect. There are some that might have made 1972 audiences laugh unintentionally, in other words. Other than that, I wouldn't say it's my very favorite Hammer movie, but it's up there, particularly for how atypically bold and daring it comes across. It also demonstrates that they didn't need to rely on an icon like Dracula or Frankenstein to make great horror.
This IS my favorite Hammer movie, and really for all the reasons you've said here.
It's the classic Hammer lore but bloody, mean, punchy, sexy, even a little surreal.
This was their moment for me. As much as I love their classics.

Tremors. Seen it countless times. But now I got the Arrow 4K so I watched it again just to make sure the disc worked.

M3GAN. I LOVED this movie. There’s character development and production value, it’s like watching a real movie. Plus it was funny, and not in the campy meme-bait way the trailers made it seem, genuinely funny. Terrific.

This IS my favorite Hammer movie, and really for all the reasons you've said here.
It's the classic Hammer lore but bloody, mean, punchy, sexy, even a little surreal.
This was their moment for me. As much as I love their classics.
it is sexy, I'll give you that.
My favorite so far is either Frankenstein Created Woman or The Brides of Dracula. I hope to watch Horror Express later this month.

Victim of The Night
it is sexy, I'll give you that.
My favorite so far is either Frankenstein Created Woman or The Brides of Dracula. I hope to watch Horror Express later this month.
I like Brides Of Dracula a lot.
Frank CW did not do anything for me, as popular as it is.

Dementia 13, 1963 (B+)

A fun little movie about a woman who goes to her husband's family after his unexpected demise to get her mother in law to change the will before the body is discovered. Shenanigans ensue about a member of the family who died as a child.

Visually, a very interesting movie. Leaning towards slasher, but with a bit more flair and not that many kills. The goods are there though.

Nightbreed. Clive Barker sets up something similar to Hellraiser, with the special effects and makeup to back it up. Elfman is on the score so the whole thing sounds like Batman. And David Cronenberg is playing a sinister therapist. All the pieces are here but they don’t quite fit well enough to make a satisfying experience. Maybe one more pass on the script to really nail down the world and focus in the characters would have helped? It’s got a helluva third act though.

Victim of The Night
Nightbreed. Clive Barker sets up something similar to Hellraiser, with the special effects and makeup to back it up. Elfman is on the score so the whole thing sounds like Batman. And David Cronenberg is playing a sinister therapist. All the pieces are here but they don’t quite fit well enough to make a satisfying experience. Maybe one more pass on the script to really nail down the world and focus in the characters would have helped? It’s got a helluva third act though.
Have to ask if you saw the Theatrical or DC.