Misirlou's Top 100

→ in
Tools    

What a great list so far, great work Misi

I am having a nervous breakdance
Don't agree on the ranking all the time or even on some of the picks, but you do have a pretty decent taste in movies.

.....isn't Apocalypse Now way too far down the list though?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

great list so far. im really excited to see your top 10

Can we try with real bullets now?
15. The Wild Bunch

"Wow, just wow. It captures the feel of the old west perfectly. That walk that they do at the end of the movie is one of the coolest things ever. This is the movie that converted me into a fan of westerns."

14. Some Like it Hot

"Definitely my all time favorite comedy, Mariln Monroe was great. Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis were hilarious! I think it is awesome how vibrant and alive this movie was without any colors. Billy Wilder is a genius......"

13. Oldboy

"This movie was a freakin' rollercoaster! Full of twists and turns! The actors sounded great, because Korean is a fantastic language. It also has one of the single best fight scenes of all time. No, I'll just say it has the best fight scene of all time."

12. Fantasia

"Of any movie I've ever seen, I've watched this one the most times. I loved, loved, loved the wonderful animation and the beautiful music. *sniff* this movie provokes so many different emotions in me, all of them good.

11. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

"Oh, yeah! My favorite western! Whenever I hear the theme song I get the urge to go out and buy a huge cowboy hat. And the showdown at the end of the movie was just.....wow. That Sergio Leone guy really knew his westerns."

A system of cells interlinked
Yup, the list rocks. Our tastes seem quite similar.

And my list still isn't done. For shame!

10. Trainspotting

"Before I watched this movie I just assumed Scotland was still home to hairy warrior poets that wore kilts with nothing under them. I didn't think that the problems over there would be so similar to the ones over here, pretty much on the other side of the world. Serves me right for being so close minded. I found the characters to be some of the most interesting ever on screen. Danny Boyle really out did himself with this....ummmm......classic."

9. City of God

"A movie that really makes you feel grateful for all the pretty things that you have around you. I got pulled into this movie so deeply that it was almost as if they were speaking English and I could understand every word that was coming out of their mouths. The cast, a virtually unknown group of people, were great. They really made you believe that they were the characters that they were playing. And I really dug the way Fernando Meirelles put this movie together....."

8. Blade Runner

"The term 'Jaw Dropping' describes the way I felt about the visuals. Within the first half hour of the movie I thought I had all the characters figured out. I thought I knew who was bad and who was good, but then the movie had to go and mess with my head. Harrison Ford's best, if not coolest performance. Ridley Scott is a true visionary and he created a beautiful world for this brilliant film to take place in."

7. Notorious

"I've seen well over a dozen Alfred Hitchcock film, all of them were excellent, but this one touched me like none of the others did. There were all sorts of things going on in this movie, there were Nazis, secret weapons, and all sorts of crazy stuff, but what really grabbed me and pulled me in was the romance growing between Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant. A wonderful film noir and my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie.....and that's saying something."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I can't wait anymore, let me see the rest!!!! LOL

Suspect's Reviews

Here to support the villians.......
I was getting excited, come on post the rest. Good list though, but I wouldn't have placed Notorious so high, but good list all the same.

Put me in your pocket...
Nice list Misirlou. I like your mix. It must have taken a very long time to get all the pictures too. Nice job.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It is so much fun reading all these top 100s! And it is so weird how people's tastes are so different...some of my favourte films are in here...also some I really hate!

6. Casablanca

"*sniff* What a beautiful movie.....a lot like Notorious in that there is a lot of stuff happening, but the thing that matters most is the love between Rick and Ilsa. 'As Time Goes By' was such an appropriate song for the two lovers to share. I have to admit, though my favorite scene in the entire movie is not between Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.....my favorite scene is when the Germans start singing their anthem and Paul Henreid jumps in and gets the band to play the French anthem and shuts up the Nazi's......and everybody joins in......and......*sniff* yeah I liked that."

5. Sunset Boulevard

"Gloria Swanson delivers my favorite female performance as the washed up silent film star, Norma Desmond. At first I remember disliking her, because she was so arrogant and so caught up in the past, but then slowly but surely I began to feel sorry for her. She was falling in love with a brilliant writer who had absolutely zero interest in her.....and that was really sad."

4. A Clockwork Orange

"One of the most memorable characters in the history of film is the morally bankrupt, Alex de Large. Malcolm McDowell played him perfectly, at times calm and collected, and at other times stabbing at his best friends or attempting to rape innocent women. With this film Stanley Kubrick created a dark world of the future and a haunting look into the psyche of a murderer."

3. Pulp Fiction

"My favorite ensemble cast in any movie....John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel, Christopher Walken and the list goes on.....but the person who shined brighter than all these other great actors was the coolest man alive, Samuel L. Jackson. Quentin Tarantino wrote a damn near perfect script, full of dynamite dialogue and two of my favorite monologues."

2. Goodfellas

"Three great performances in this movie. First I'll mention Joe Pesci's crazy/over the top performance as Tommy De Vito. Next Robert DeNiro as the bloodthirsty Jimmy Conway. And finally Ray Liotta as the guy who always wanted to be a gangster. Nicholas Pileggi did a great job writing the book and an absolutely perfect job turning it into a script. Martin Scorsese is.....and will always be my favorite director."

1. Raging Bull

"Robert DeNiro delivers my favorite performance in any movie as the sexually insecure, overtly violent, the great Jake La Motta. And Joe Pesci was magnificent as La Motta's brother/manager. Cathy Moriarti was great as La Motta's young, bored and eventually beat down wife. Martin Scorsese shot this movie brilliantly, especially the boxing scenes......they were beautiful......smoke would be rising around the fighting ring and then there would be a cut to DeNiro about to put his fist through some guy's face......*sigh* I think I'll watch it again tonight."

Thanks for saying that Piddzilla and I'm sorry Apocalypse Now wasn't higher on my list.....it's just that I was unfortunate enough to have watched the weaksauce director's cut before the much better original cut.....I still enjoyed it, though

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Misirlou
Thanks for saying that Piddzilla and I'm sorry Apocalypse Now wasn't higher on my list.....it's just that I was unfortunate enough to have watched the weaksauce director's cut before the much better original cut.....I still enjoyed it, though
Yeah, that is unfortunate since, as you say, the original cut is superior to that Redux history. But anyway.. I forgive you for "Apo" since you put the right Scorsese film in number one. Raging Bull is my favorite too.

Btw, is that Ingrid in your avatar?

Yup yup that is indeed Ingrid Bergman in my avatar and I'm glad we agree on Raging Bull

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect

I Need To Watch Raging Bull
You must go out and watch it right away! I'm really glad I forked out the extra dough for the 2-Disc Collector's Set and suggest you do the same