The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I remember I kept hearing the title La Haine a lot, but wouldn't have been able to tell you what it was about (granted, some of that also comes from hearing the title Le Havre a lot when it came around on the film festival circuit back in the 2010s, and the titles/names sound pretty similar, so I'd have to periodically check to make sure I knew which one people were referring to. Le Havre is another movie I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about, but I'm also quite certain is a very different genre of film).

I don't think I've heard of Dead Again, which, I guess if it came out a few years later, I probably would have just due to my age at the time, but can't say for certain. The plot description did make me think of Angelheart, but that's a completely different movie.

Like Shallow Grave, La Haine was one of the entries on our Neo-noir Hall of Fame, where it did fairly well. You can check multiple reviews of it here.

Le Havre is very good too, if you mean the Kaurismaki film.

*Checks* I do.

For me, the movie's existence was just one of those, "showed at a film festival, heard other people penciling it in as one of the films they wanted to see, never did the legwork beyond reading the one sentence synopsis at the time, so I really just know the movie by name, movies, but couldn't tell you anything about it other than, 'people said it's good.'"
I think Kaurismaki kind of existed in that space generally for me as well. I *did* actually watch Fallen Leaves this year. Which, thinking about it, if it hasn't shown up on Mubi for streaming, that also would have also fallen into the category of, "recognize this title because it's showing up on a lot of year end top ten lists, but for the life of me, wouldn't be able to recall the premise."

Funny how certain films do that.

I can't recall if I weighed in on Shallow Grave and Talented Mr. Ripley.

Shallow Grave - I think I thought of that as more of a dark comedy, partly because of my mentality when it came out. Granted, I also have dark comedies on my ballot, so that sure isn't mutually exclusive.

Talented Mr. Ripley - This one didn't cross my mind, but I guess it is a noir in the tradition of something like In a Lonely Place, isn't it? Probably still wouldn't have made my ballot because, despite remembering really liking it and meaning to return to it again, I haven't actually done so since it came out.

Isn't it interesting that every entry so far has been on either 2 or 3 ballots, except for our #100 which was on 5 ballots? Lot of love for The Friends of Eddie Coyle, but nobody put it above 11, while the other 11 entries all had Top 10 placement in at least one ballot.

A system of cells interlinked
6/12 seen. You know...I just went and spaced out Dead Again completely. Should have been on my list! I've not seen La Haine.

3lists41points
Red Rock West
Director

John Dahl, 1993

Starring

Nicolas Cage, Dennis Hopper, Lara Flynn Boyle, J.T. Walsh

3lists42points
The Man from Nowhere
Director

Lee Jeong-beom, 2010

Starring

Won Bin, Kim Sae-ron, Kim Tae-hun, Kim Hee-won

TRAILERS

Red Rock West - A drifter desperately looking for a job in rural Wyoming finds himself in the middle of a misunderstanding when a bar owner mistakes him for a hitman he hired to murder his wife. But when the actual hitman arrives, complications ensue.

The Man from Nowhere - A quiet pawnshop keeper with a tragically violent past finds himself in the crossfire between two rival gangs fighting for the organ harvesting market after his only friend, a 10-year old girl, is kidnapped.

Like Shallow Grave, La Haine was one of the entries on our Neo-noir Hall of Fame, where it did fairly well. You can check multiple reviews of it here.
Speaking of our recent Neo-noir Hall of Fame, Red Rock West was my pick for it. Pretty cool film (you can read my review here) that barely squeaked into my ballot.

As for The Man from Nowhere, I'm a huge fan but I really didn't see it as neo-noir, so it never occurred to me to vote for it. Still, it's a kick-ass action film (you can read my review here)

I first watched The Man From Nowhere for the 12th MoFo Hall of Fame. I knew nothing about it going in and was blown away. It ended up being disqualified, but it stuck with me and I have since bought the bluray and watched it a few more times. If I ever redo my personal top 100, it'll definitely make the cut. I voted for it at #3.

The Man From Nowhere (Ajeossi) (Jeong-beom Lee, 2010)
Imdb

Date Watched: 01/24/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 12th Hall of Fame, RoyalWitCheese's nomination
Rewatch: No

I went into this movie completely blind. I did zero research and read none of the write-ups from the other HOF participants. And honestly I had kind of put it off because I just wasn't in the mood for reading subtitles.

But holy crap. This is the kind of movie watching experience that I hope for when I sign up for a hall of fame. And yet, it's not what I typically expect to see. This is no arthouse picture and there's no real deep meaning to it. What the film does offer though is an onslaught of action coupled with a really interesting story and some great characters.

I LOVED Cha Tae-sik. His combination of sex appeal, badassery, and sweetness was fantastic and an absolute joy to watch. But the bad guys were pretty cool, too. Though cooler still was the way they got their comeuppance - especially Jong-seok, the pretty boy brother of the main villain.

All in all, a great piece of entertainment and something I'll probably watch again.

+

The Man from Nowhere was at the bottom of the MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s at #95.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's a little funny that we got back-to-back days featuring films that were disqualified from Hall of Fames! Like Miss Vicky, I saw Man from Nowhere when it was nominated in the 12th HoF, and absolutely loved it. I didn't rewatch it for the Countdown, but when I saw it on a list of neo-noirs online, I checked its eligibility, looked at my review of it, saw the header image I chose, and said "yes, this gives me neo-noir vibes", then put it straight on my shortlist haha.

The Man From Nowhere/아저씨 (2010)
Dir. Lee Jeong-beom
Starring: Won Bin, Kim Sae-ron, Kim Sung-oh
Does the whole film look like that? No, of course not. But the aesthetic is there, and to me neo-noir is more of a vibe rather than something I can articulately define, so I was confident including it on my list. I placed it quite high at #10.

Seen: 7/14

My List:
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

It might not look like it right now, but there are English-language films on my ballot, I promise haha.

Red Rock West is OK, I just rewatched it for the recent Hall of Fame. Unfortunately for its legacy it was released during a bit of a Neo Noir Renaissance in the early 1990s, and frankly it just plain isn't as good as the gems that were coming out around it, many of which will hopefully make the countdown higher up, including John Dahl's own follow up The Last Seduction. Not a bad movie, just not a particularly great one, even in genre terms.

And as good as The Man from Nowhere is, it is another that didn't click anywhere near enough Noir boxes for me to even consider it for my ballot. I shudder to think how many more action movies are coming, but we shall see.

And as good as The Man from Nowhere is, it is another that didn't click anywhere near enough Noir boxes for me to even consider it for my ballot. I shudder to think how many more action movies are coming, but we shall see.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... RED ROCK WEST

RT – 98%, IMDb – 7.0

Roger Ebert said:

"Red Rock West is a diabolical movie that exists sneakily between a western and a thriller, between a film noir and a black comedy." (read full review here)
Stephen Bjork from The Digital Bits said:

"Red Rock West works best if you think of it as a noir tone poem and don’t worry about the details that may or may not add up. Viewed from that angle, it’s an effective little thriller." (read full review here)
@Torgo said:

"While I like the movie, I wish I could agree with those who say it's an unheralded masterpiece, hidden gem, etc. For one, as strong as the cast may be, nobody can make up for the average character being pretty shallow [...] Again, the movie tells a good story with good surprises, but each of them only has a surface-level impact as a result." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... THE MAN FROM NOWHERE

RT – 100%, IMDb – 7.7

Jesse Nguyen from Collider said:

"The Man from Nowhere is a bleak and emotionally draining movie that deals with awful issues like child abuse, organ trafficking, drug addiction, kidnapping, and murder. However, it still manages to transmit many familial moments and frame it as a kinetic action thriller. Despite its overall lack of novelty, the movie is very well-made throughout, with strong leading performances." (read full review here)
The Telltale Mind said:

"It might seem familiar at times and that is to be expected, but with a great script, steady direction and impeccable performances, The Man From Nowhere is one of the better films you will ever see from the genre." (read full review here)
@Takoma11 said:

"It doesn't really bother me because so many aspects of the plot, even at its most cliched, are executed so well. Won Bin is a solid anchor for both the emotional and the physical aspects of the story [...] And the action sequences are really what keep me coming back to this film [...] It's on my shortlist of favorite action movies ever." (read full review here)

Reply to Topic