Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Children of Paradise (1945) This is very highly regarded by all the smart cool kids. I finally watched it and I wished I could say I loved it, but I was really underwhelmed. I liked the cinematography and the sets and costumes are lovely. The problem is I didn't find the story engaging, compelling or even very interesting. Performances were good though and I thought the screenplay was fine. The film felt far too long and I personally don't feel the runtime was justified. At least I was able to cross it off the list.

This is very highly regarded by all the smart cool kids. I finally watched it and I wished I could say I loved it, but I was really underwhelmed. I liked the cinematography and the sets and costumes are lovely. The problem is I didn't find the story engaging, compelling or even very interesting. Performances were good though and I thought the screenplay was fine. The film felt far too long and I personally don't feel the runtime was justified. At least I was able to cross it off the list.
You forgot the title or poster, but I'm assuming it's Children of Paradise. Haven't seen it yet but placing it on the bottom of my watchlist because of your thoughts on it.

You forgot the title or poster, but I'm assuming it's Children of Paradise. Haven't seen it yet but placing it on the bottom of my watchlist because of your thoughts on it.
Good catch! You are correct. It is Children of Paradise. Everyone else seems to love it though, so I don't know how much stock people should put in to my thoughts.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Good catch! You are correct. It is Children of Paradise. Everyone else seems to love it though, so I don't know how much stock people should put in to my thoughts.

I bailed out on this movie after 20 minutes despite all the love for it. It's one I will probably see, simply running out of movies, but probably not anytime soon.

Don’t Open Til Christmas, 1984

On the streets of London, someone has it out for anyone dressed as Santa Claus. Men dressed as Father Christmas are being butchered in brutal fashion, and police detectives Harris (Edmund Purdom) and Powell (Mark Jones) have few leads outside of a young man named Cliff (Gerry Sundquist) who was present for two of the killings, including the murder of the father of his girlfriend, Kate (Belinda Mayne). As the killings continue, Kate also begins to investigate.

While not exactly a good movie, this is an interesting case of a slasher that diverts from tropes in unpredictable ways.

Full review

Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

This was a damn good shoot 'em up military style action suspense that reminds me of 90's action movies but with a new sharper picture and more convincing combat. A lot of intense battle scenes, a lot of casualties and the bad guy is what you'd expect someone to be who would invade the white house, not some cartoonish goon in a costume.

9.5/10

The Eyes of Tammy Faye, 2021

This biopic follows the life of Tammy Faye Bakker (Jessica Chastain), who grew up in Minnesota and then met and married Jim Bakker (Andrew Garfield). The two went on to be a major presence in the field of televangelism, at times clashing with contemporary Jerry Falwell (Vincent D’Onofrio). As their fame grows, questions arise over the financial aspect of their business, and personal conflicts come between Jim and Tammy Faye.

Full of solid performances, I found myself wishing for something either more camp or more straight-forward.

Full review

In the Heat of the Night - 1967

First Sidney Poitier movie that I can remember sitting down and watching fully. I vaguely remember the tv show in the 90s. I really dug it for the most part. I know it was 1960s Mississippi but some of the racism stuff felt really thick and cartoony. Not to slight it, most of it might have and would have happened. It was really saved though because the actual murder mystery was very compelling. It was very fun to watch the police chief and Mr Tibbs mutual respect grow trying to figure out the gripping case. Poitier was awesome as the stoic Tibbs and the police chief was pretty good as well. Even though that chewing gum got a bit annoying. I really enjoyed it.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Well it was a mindless action movie but it did seem even a bit too shallow for that, so when it slowed down it remained very empty.
Man, calling Fury Road a "mindless Action movie" is just... I really don't know how to respond to that, to be honest.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/1944/lifeboat.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17058037

Lifeboat - (1944)

Despite the fact that the Second World War is receding into the far off distance, Lifeboat is still a compulsively enjoyable watch. Many directors would have struggled with the limited setting, but Hitchcock, much like he did with Rope, proves that you can sustain tension and drama in the one place with enough characters and high enough stakes. Of course, being wartime propaganda, the German connives and can't be trusted - but most people who saw this film at the time complained that the Germans were portrayed in too positive a fashion. Goes to show what public opinion is worth. Hitchcock's Nazi villain makes the entire group of lifeboat passengers his quarry and tries to fool them into captivity while avoiding it himself - and to me that's not positive, just resourceful. Anyway - the running-time breezes by as various disasters make it seem this small boat with such an eclectic assortment of passengers is doomed. Really enjoyable film to this day.

8/10

By Warner Bros. Pictures Distributing Corporation - Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...urid=118763727

Sayonara - (1957)

Well, this was certainly interesting in varied ways. Taking on racism, Sayonara can't help but be a fraught journey into the realm of awkwardness - probably due to how rare it was for a big studio to undertake such a project during the 1950s. For example - I can't for the life of me figure out why Ricardo Montalbán plays a Japanese guy in this instead of a..well, a Japanese guy! He comes complete with fake slanted eyes and accent, and the result made me very uncomfortable. Marlon Brando's acting is nearly too good for the type of film this is - his Southern Major Lloyd Gruver brings a raucous American lack of cultural awareness, and as such we have parts of Sayonara there we're meant to be grimacing at. What saves it is the miraculous decision to go with the dark, tough ending - a marriage between Joe Kelly (Red Buttons) and Katsumi (Miyoshi Umeki) giving a tragic example of what banning interracial marriages leads to. What a sad, sad secondary story we have there. Brando and Miiko Taka fare better, and the addition of a soft-skinned young James Garner makes this worth seeing. You just have to allow the film a little leeway, even though the production is on location in Japan, it does seem like director Joshua Logan might be a little out of his element. Not totally though - there's lots of kabuki, Japanese puppetry and culture included.

Anyway, if there's one element of Japan Logan and co really embrace strongly, it's the male-oriented and dominated one. This one featured at the '58 Oscars - missing Best Picture and Actor for Brando, but winning Red Buttons and Miyoshi Umeki statuettes for their tragic arcs. A strange time capsule - teaching anyone who sees it now in the wrong way, but still well worth a look for Brando and co - not to mention how the 50s tried to tackle the race issue.

7/10

By The cover art can or could be obtained from IMP Awards., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34360006

The Words - (2012)

This film just didn't pan out - and I think it should have been scrapped. It's a story within a story within a story - and when you have so many degrees of reality and fiction mashing together parts aren't going to receive their due attention. In the end the story with Dennis Quaid and some floozy, relating a tale about Bradley Cooper's Rory and wife Zoe Saldana (Dora), who has himself stolen a story from "The Old Man" (Jeremy Irons) about his younger self (played by Ben Barnes) and his French wife and sick (soon to be dead) baby - well, nothing gets time to breath or live, and as a result The Words leaves you as soon as the credits are rolling - when you walk away you'll forget it ever existed.

3.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Gone back to reading
Jules and Jim - 5/5 -- in the process of going through the plentiful extras. Have always loved it, and even more now, have started reading Goethe's Elective Affinities which plays a part in this film and was also one of Fassbinder's favorite books. So far learning from the commentaries, Truffaut later on didn't like how much he moved the camera, a naive film it was thought of, but is also part of its charm, a film where there's a youthful esprit involved taking risks not being bogged down by too much experience.

BKB
I'm in the process of watching Robert Deniro in RONIN

Prisoners Daughter (2022)

This is an OK but rather predictable film, the acting is decent but the script clunky and lukewarm. I love to see Brian Cox acting so it was a treat, the side-stories not too much and they dragged it into the melodrama. I didn't realise it was Kate Beckinsdale playing his daughter till the credits rolled.

Pretty decent. More Brian please.