The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

The Twilight Zone was my #2. Almost every episode is like a brilliant short film. In fact, any time I watch an old horror or science-fiction film from the 50's or early 60's, I often think to myself, "Well, that was decent, but The Twilight Zone could've done it so much better in a fraction of the time." Like the show itself, Rod Serling's imagination existed in a different dimension; plus he had a fantastic voice and screen presence. (Insert him as a host of Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo and even that show might become watchable.) The episodes were proof that even pulp stories could be highly intelligent and thought-provoking. The twist endings, even though you knew they were coming, often managed to pack a punch. I don't typically think of myself as a fan of science-fiction, but Twilight Zone was never about aliens shooting lasers or Jedis molesting Ewoks. Instead it used highly-imaginative, fantastical stories to examine what it means to be human. The show explored our darkest fears, our deepest desires; it worked as horror; it worked as fantasy; it worked as science-fiction; it worked on a psychological level, a sociological level. It introduced many iconic actors and actresses. It captured the public's imagination in space exploration. And it also did a better job of probing the paranoia and fear and distrust that stemmed from the Cold War than anything else I've seen. The Twilight Zone isn't necessarily my second favorite show, but it's as good as anything in the history of television, so I had to put it near the top of my list.

Lost was my #5. I was hooked from the very first night it premiered. I've never been as emotionally invested in a show before or since, which also means I've never been so let down by a show, either. People point to the last season and the finale and the "flash-sideways," but for me the show started trending downwards after season three. "Through the Looking Glass" was the peak of the show for me, and the ending ("We have to go back!") provided one of the biggest holy *****! moments I've ever experienced. I introduced one of my friends to the show, and he and I used to have long discussions (often while stoned) about what was going to happen, theorizing all these crazy possibilities. I used to get on message boards devoted to Lost and discuss episodes and read people's theories. The show was a phenomenon. I thought I was obsessed with it, but there were people out there who would comb over every episode, looking for clues and meaning in the tiniest of details. And that's part of what made the show so fun--- trying to solve this elaborate "mystery" as we all tumbled down the rabbit hole together.

But the mythology and guesswork were just part of the appeal, since the show excelled at character development and made me emotionally invested in everyone on the show--- quite a feat given the size of the cast. The flashbacks were often just as fascinating and revealing as the developments on the island. When a character died, which was often, I was always devastated. The show was at its best when it sparked the imagination of its fans. When it started answering some of its big questions, I often felt underwhelmed. Peeking behind the curtain just wasn't as fun. Some of the plot developments in later seasons felt too much like the writers had written themselves into a corner. I was enormously disappointed with the entire last season, but I had given the show the benefit of the doubt, trusting that it would redeem itself in the end. . . then came the finale, which confirmed my biggest fears and has since soured my memories of one of my most beloved shows. But no matter the destination, the ride was unrivaled. I don't think there will ever be anything like it again.

I made sure to watch True Detective before submitting my list. I didn't vote for it, but it barely missed the cut. McConaughey has been on an amazing hot streak as of late. He's like a batter hitting home runs every time he steps up to the plate. His performance as Rust Cohle is just as impressive as his Oscar-winning role in Dallas Buyers Club. I fell in love with his character as soon as he opened his mouth and spouted his first nihilistic ramblings. The dialogue throughout the show is incredibly strong. I loved the opening credits and the music. I loved the swampy atmosphere. The tracking shot in episode four is jaw-dropping. For me, the detective/mystery aspect of the show was secondary to the relationship between McConaughey's and Harrelson's characters. Watching those two perform at such a high caliber and bounce lines off one another was the highlight of the show. That's why I think the decision to return for a second season is ill-conceived. But even if all future seasons are lackluster, nothing will diminish the greatness of season one, which stands on its own.

My List So Far:
#2) The Twilight Zone
#4) That 70's Show
#5) Lost
#6) King of the Hill
#7) Everybody Loves Raymond
#8) Survivor
#12) Batman: The Animated Series
#13) Married ... With Children
#16) Saturday Night Live
#21) The Walking Dead
#23) Lonesome Dove
#24) Louie

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Absolutely love South Park!

2. Friends
3. Dragon Ball Z
4. Monthy Python’s Flying Circus
9. House of Cards
11. Family Guy
12. Cheers
13. The West Wing
14. South Park
19. The Big Bang Theory
22. Frasier
25. C.S.I. (Las Vegas)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I had BUFFY at #1 and if you want to know why, CLICK HERE

As for LOST, that one slips in at #3 and if you want to know why...CLICK HERE

Now...my list looks different from the one I sent in because it was done 3 years ago...so there.

1. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
3. Lost
8. Batman: The Animated Series
10. Sons of Anarchy
11. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
12. Community
14. Futurama
15. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
16. Titus

17. Curb Your Enthusiasm
18. Sherlock
19. Pushing Daises
20. Six Feet Under
21. Spider-man (1994) Fox
22. The Walking Dead
24. True Detective
25. Dexter

Shows in red are ones I feel will not make the top ten.

Suspect's Reviews

Chappie doesn't like the real world
10. The X-Files ( 1993 - 2002)

Quote: If coincidences are coincidences, why do they feel so contrived? ~ Mulder

Theme Song

Science fiction horror series about two FBI agents that investigate paranormal cases. Mulder is the believer while Scully is the skeptic assigned to debunk Mulder's theories.

Spin-offs: The Lone Gunman. The series also continued in comic book form.

How Soon is Now: The theme song's famous whistle effect was inspired by the popular Smith's song.

Hannibal connection: Gillian Andersen based her performance of Agent Scully on the Clarice Starling character in Silence of the Lambs. Interestingly enough she now plays Hannibal's psychiatrist and accomplice on the show Hannibal.

When the move Hannibal happened, Anderson was in the running for Clarice Starling, but a clause had been built into her contract that she could not play another FBI agent.

Scully's box: because she was so short she had to stand on a box much of the time when she stood next to Mulder. He is ten inches taller than her.

Placements: 3 9th, 2 1st , 2 13th, 2
22nd, 1 3rd, 1 5th, 1 7th, 1 8th, 1 10th, 1 12th, 1 15th,1 18th, 1 19th, 1 - 23rd

Always liked X-Files but never got into it enough to have it on my list. Still meaning to.

Always liked X-Files but never got into it enough to have it on my list. Still meaning to.
Same.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
10. The X-Files ( 1993 - 2002)

I watched "The X-Files", but it didn't make my list. The sci-fi episodes were great, but some of the episodes leaned a little bit too much towards horror for my tastes.

I'm glad to see that it made the list though. The X-Files movies were only okay, but the TV show was a very good show.

I've never even heard of X-Files haha, am I the only one? (probably)

Welcome to the human race...
When I voted I was still in the midst of watching it (about halfway through season seven, if I recall correctly) and gave it #22. If I voted now, it'd probably be a few spots higher. Great show all around, even if it did fall prey to the same deterioration in quality as any other show with more than 6-7 seasons.

I was was probably early teens when X-Files was at it's peak. Never peaked my interest. Always would turn it when it came on.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

A few things after reviewing the list. South Park is probably my favorite animated show. 12 is a good landing spot, figured it might be back a ways because it can be controversial. Simpsons, older seasons, are absolute classics. Not sure if they popped up on the list yet. Futurama the first few season are some of my favorite animated episodes of all time. Such great characters and writing. The newer ones fell off a cliff because they involved every character in every scene. I think they tried to make the voice actors happy and the episodes suffered. And Family Guy is a POS.

Now if this were my list, I didn't turn one in!!! I didn't know. It would be heavily filled with 90s and early 2000 sitcoms, I don't much care for the newer Office type comedies. Everyone Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Home Improvement, Fresh Prince, Cheers, Friends. Classics. However my two favorite are Seinfeld and Frasier. Seinfeld I think will obviously be in the top 10 in this countdown. It's just too damn good not to be. Frasier however at 42 should be re-examined. I highly highly recommend visiting Frasier if you never have. Everything from the writing, acting and execution is flawless. The quality never really dipped. It is some of the smartest comedy you will come across.

Also. I am a huge huge basketball junkie. Played through college. Inside the NBA is one of the best shows on television, it's just ashame only basketball fans are treated to it. It is the same highly entertaining as it is highly informative. Unlike ESPN which just processes trash NBA coverage, Inside the NBA dwarfs it in quality. Barkley is just a stud at what he does. I'd rather watch Inside the NBA over any late night talk show. It's that good. Just general audiences don't care if they don't like basketball.

One last thing. Breaking Bad better be number 1. It is easily the best drama ever put on television and it's not that close to me. Only beef I have with it is the ending was a bit too neat, but it could have been worse.

Oh The Simpsons is Top 10 easy. Even with the show being crap now.
This is true. When I catch some of the older episodes on from the 90s it is still some of the most genuine laughs I get. Homer is just freaking classic.

This is true. When I catch some of the older episodes on from the 90s it is still some of the most genuine laughs I get. Homer is just freaking classic.
Oh the classic seasons are gold! Was a staple of my childhood.

So glad to see the X Files up in the top 10, very deservedly so. Me and my son, a young teenager still at home then used to watch it on a Sunday night, followed by Millennium (remember that? With the annoying wife!) . It's one of those programmes that's of a time and place for me so will always be looked on fondly. It was my number 13.
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson had such a great chemistry together, and Anderson has gone on to be a particularly fine actress often playing the part of an English woman. She's very good at the moment in a thriller on UK TV called The Fall.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The X-Files was my #9.

Totally agree with Christine about Duchovny and Anderson's chemistry, which was fantastic. I suppose that each of them have a slightly geeky (Hollywood geeky, of course, so it's still physically attractive) quality that fitted their characters so well. Haven't liked anything they've done since.

The show's later years, with conspiracy theories up the wazoo, weren't the best but early X Files is some of the best TV I've seen. It's maybe a bit dated and twee now but I still happily watch reruns when they appear.

EDIT - Had no idea that the theme tune was inspired by this:

I'm sure there was a pretty large Smiths/X-Files crossover fanbase.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The X-Files was my #9.

Totally agree with Christine about Duchovny and Anderson's chemistry, which was fantastic. I suppose that each of them have a slightly geeky (Hollywood geeky, of course, so it's still physically attractive) quality that fitted their characters so well. Haven't liked anything they've done since.

I agree that Duchovny and Anderson had great chemistry together, and that I haven't really cared much for anything that either of them has done since "The X-Files", with one exception.

David Duchovny starred in the movie Return to Me (2000) with Minnie Driver. It's a wonderful story about a man who falls in love with the woman who received his wife's heart.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122459/reference

Top 10 South Park Episodes (Cont.)

6.Towelie (Season 5, Episode 8)

Towelie has the honour of being in both one of my fav episodes, and the absolute worst episode imo (A Million Little Fibers). For people not aware of Towelie, yes he is that awesome- a talking towel who likes to get high . The sheer disinterest the boys have in the intergalactic war their a part of is hilarious, just wanting to get back to their kidnapped Okama Gamescast .

5.Red Sleigh Down (Season 6,Episode 17)

Starting off with Kyles heavily stereotyped Jewish cousin Kyle, working as Cartmans naughty or nice Accountant . He points out to Cartman that even if he cures Cancer and Aids he'll still owe 2 presents. Eric decides that the only way to get presents, is to bring christmas to Iraq. My favourite Christmas episode.

4. Good Times With Weapons (Season 8,1)

An episode most are probably aware of. South Parks hilarious Anime Parody. The drawings of this are so hilarious, and the battle and subsequent aftermath of their showdown with Professor Chaos is classic .

3. Scott Tenorman Must Die (Season 5,Episode 8)

Possibly the most famous episode. Cartman is sold pubes by an older kid called Scott Tenorman, and once he realizes that this doesn't mean he has pubes , he goes on a mission to get his 10 dollars back. The first episode where Cartman changed from a bit of an ******* to a complete sociopath.

2.All About The Mormons (Season 7,12)

This episode really makes me want to see The Book of Mormon. The portrayal of the Mormon family, as Brady Bunch perfect is outstanding. It also shows Randys weak frame of mind, when he goes from "wanting to put a fist in his ass" (actual quote ) to converted. The ending of the episode is also among my favourites.

1.Trapped in the Closet (Season 9,12)

The episode that led to the departure of Isaac Hayes, which i thought was incredibly hypocritical of him since he's spent 8 seasons making fun of Christians,Jews,Mormon,etc. Among the most controversial and hilarious SP episodes. From the parody of R-Kellys song "Trapped in the Closet", to John Travolta and Tom Cruise refusing to come out of the closet; and Tom actually denying that he's in the close while being in a closet .