Film
41.03%
16 votes
Movie
17.95%
7 votes
Other
39 votes. You may not vote on this poll

It may be an American vs Britain thing that brings up the battle of Movie vs Film, one thing that is true is that in my Firefox spell check "English (United Kingdom)" it tells me that "movie/Movie" is spelt incorrectly, it isn't but the English dictionary does not seem to recognise and suggest the following changes:

"mov-ie" "move" "moving"

Not exactly the same thing...

So what do you call them? What term do you use?

They both mean the same thing, but for personal usage it depends on what I'm talking about. To me, "movie" implies a feature length film that has narrative and characters - there are actors, a director, a script, etc. Whereas "film" also encompasses things like documentaries and shorts.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I used to use 'film' for more 'serious' films and 'movie' for some more 'laid back' stuff, but since such separation doesn't make any sense I am now using them as synonyms.

Ghost In The Machine
I always used the word 'Film' because I'm British I suppose, although I'm aware the word is becoming less and less relevant as most modern productions are now digital.

Either or.

Sometimes I use both in the same sentence.

But, (here we go again) the term Film is almost outdated now. 99% don't use film anymore.

Why do we say "Put a film on" and then reach for the DVD shelf? Is there technically anything on that shelf that resembles film?

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Interchangeable for me. I use both of them equally.

The funny people are the ones that say a picture like Transformers is a 'movie' and Stalker is a 'film'.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
It doesn't matter which you use, words are not restrained by the curtails of their own definitions, rather, a society generally assigns the meaning and relevancy to them. Society assigns "movie," "flick," and "film" as synonyms, and so shall it be. I use whatever I feel like using, never stick with one preference.