RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Tools    

holy ***** this is awful. at first i thought this was some joke thread that sexy celebrity made, but... wow. this is the last thing i ever expected to see. he wasn't even one of my favorite actors, outside of his great performance in the master, but... wow. devastating news.

Was just reminded of a film I saw him in some years back that cut me to the quick - he gave such a heartfelt performance . Called Love Liza

Exterminate all rational thought.
That's really sad. He was a really talented actor. I knew he had struggled with drugs in the past, but I didn't realize he was still having issues with it. Sad.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
What a waste of talent. Was it overdose then aye? He never looked like the healthiest of guys.

RIP

Was just reminded of a film I saw him in some years back that cut me to the quick - he gave such a heartfelt performance . Called Love Liza
Oh, yeah. I saw that not too long ago. It was good.

holy ***** this is awful. at first i thought this was some joke thread that sexy celebrity made
I thought Skepsis was playing a practical joke on me.

What a tragic, tragic loss. So senseless. I am in shock.

RIP.

I just heard it on the radio here in Belgium. I couldn't speak for 5 minutes. We lost one of the most talented actors of our time today.

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman and thanks for all the great performances you gave me and many other cinephiles around the world.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was just watching The Master when I heard the news. It took me awhile to process it.

I always found him to be an actor that I tolerated but never really loved. He would really shine in smaller roles, but he gave the craft his all. I enjoyed him in The Big Lebowski, Magnolia, The Boat That Rocked, Mission Impossible III among others.

Sad and shocking.

RIP.

Suspect's Reviews

The Adventure Starts Here!
He apparently had trouble with heroin over twenty years ago and had been clean until about 2012. Was in rehab for heroin just this past May.

He was also found today with a needle still in his arm.

When I saw the headline, not having known anything about his past demons, my first thought was heart attack. Even sadder hearing he struggled with the usual Hollywood issues recently.

He was one of those actors who, when you start seeing a list of his film credits, amazes you with just how vast his range of acting skills was.

Will be sorely missed on the screen. Unsure what will happen with Mockingjay now...

I was sure my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw the title of this thread...I don't believe it. Well, I believe it, but it's just so shocking...Hoffman was an amazing actor with an impressive resume, versatile as hell, he could play comedy, drama, anything...I even think he probably had a second Oscar in his future. Loved him in CAPOTE, THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY, THE BIG LEBOWSKI, PUNCH DRUNK LOVE, MAGONLIA, BOOGIE NIGHTS and BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD. I also think he stole ALONG CAME POLLY from Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston. This is a terrible loss. This was a gifted actor who was just reaching the zenith of his career. So sad.

Hunger Games Mockingjay parts 1 and 2 have been in filming back to back since September...

That's 5 months of footage across two films that will probably need reshooting with a new actor...

That is of course, if they decide to carry on filming.

That's very sad news
RIP

*GASP*

Not my Ben Affleck.
awww,we have mutual crush

I just really don't have words. We seem to be losing some of the DeNiro's of our age. Its really quite sad.

Seriously - people think I'm rude, but there's Rodent wishing death on other people.

I still have not seen some of his most acclaimed films/performances (such as Magnolia, The Master, Synecdoche etc) and he's far from a favorite, but 25th Hour and The Big Lebowski are two films that he's in that I truly love.

RIP

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow! Holy s*it! I was convinced this was just going to be Sexy messing about, trying to live up to his Most Controversial MoFo award. I'm absolutely stunned that it's true. Although I didn't know about his past problems with drugs. I'm also surprised to find he was only 46. I feel he's looked about that age for 10-20 years

While I wouldn't say that I loved him I certainly considered him one of the best actors around. I've still not seen a number of his bigger films actually (Master, Synecdoche New York, Capote etc) but always thought he was excellent in the likes of Talented Mr Ripley, Ides of March and Charlie Wilson's War, and was the best thing about films I didn't really care for (Boogie Nights, Happiness, Magnolia). And while it's not as revered or highfalutin a film as much of his work I thought he made for a tremendous villain in Mission Impossible III.

RIP and thoughts to the family he has left behind; a wife and three young kids

I was convinved this was just going to be Sexy messing about, trying to live up to his Most Controversial MoFo award.
I bet people wish it was just that.