PHILOMENA
53.06%
26 votes
12 YEARS A SLAVE
12.24%
6 votes
THE WOLF OF WALL STREET
49 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
You don't need to be weak in Scottish history to love Braveheart.
You kind of do. The people who made Braveheart were certainly weak in Scottish history.

Happy Oscar Day, MoFos!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar Madison.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	13203  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You kind of do. The people who made Braveheart were certainly weak in Scottish history.
Thank youuuuuu

Also, I'm feeling any slave movie is going to get the win. This is the country of white guilt after all. At least this time it's actually a good film.

I actually thought about picking a different movie for exactly this reason. But I figured the point would land either way.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't think they were weak in Scottish history so much as they didn't care about it since they were making a movie and were concerned with movie and Oscar history.

I had to change my pick twice. First choice was 12 Years a Slave. Then I changed it to American Hustle. But now as Oscar night is here, I'm switching back to 12 years.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I picked 12 Years a Slave (because I want my predictions to be right), but I'll be extremely glad if it's American Hustle or Gravity, as I liked those films a lot more. Wolf of Wall Street is too unrealistic, but I will never doubt the Academy again if they have the balls to give that film the Best Picture award.

I picked 12 Years a Slave (because I want my predictions to be right), but I'll be extremely glad if it's American Hustle or Gravity, as I liked those films a lot more. Wolf of Wall Street is too unrealistic, but I will never doubt the Academy again if they have the balls to give that film the Best Picture award.
Same here.

I honestly believe David O'Russell and his movie deserve the top awards. However, the Academy will give 12 Years the award because of its subject matter, and I'm guessing to make up for not rewarding Django Unchained the award last year.

Gravity was an amazing movie and I enjoyed it the most out of all 3 films. It will end up with at least 2 awards in the special effects categories.

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there will be a surprise and that Gravity will win.

You heard it here.
That would be a shocking but pleasant surprise

I'm not sure I understand why people are saying 12 Years a Slave will win because of its subject matter. There have been plenty of acclaimed slavery movies made over the years and the last to win Best Picture was ... never as far as I can tell. The Academy likes movies with a message but I don't think there is any reason to say they like slavery movies (beyond the odd acting award) is there? I also heard that a black director has never won best picture either.

Seems like history is against 12 years ...?

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I'm not sure I understand why people are saying 12 Years a Slave will win because of its subject matter. There have been plenty of acclaimed slavery movies made over the years and the last to win Best Picture was ... never as far as I can tell. The Academy likes movies with a message but I don't think there is any reason to say they like slavery movies (beyond the odd acting award) is there? I also heard that a black director has never won best picture either.

Seems like history is against 12 years ...?
Never underestimate white guilt. Crash won!

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I still think best picture is Inside Llewyn Davis. Come on Academy, nominate the proper films

Reviews

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My vote is for anything but 12 years. Too conventional.
I don't know how you can possibly say 12 Years A Slave is conventional. Especially given that you haven't even seen it.

Where are you watching Oscars tonight? :/

Slating films without even seeing them. This is starting to get a bit ridiculous.