Your Most Controversial Film Opinions?

Tools    

Also, I find Predator to be SO overrated. It, honestly, has a really tense and really cool 3rd act but the rest is so boring and filled with one note and cheesy characters. I can see how people like this film but I am not a fan at all of cheesy, 80's, testosterone-filled movies. It was so cringe-worthy and boring, except for a really good 3rd act. I really want there to be a dark, violent, mature, tense Predator horror film. That's my kind of film.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I don't like The Shawshank Redemption and it bothers me every time I see it sat there at the top of 'best film' lists.

I don't think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is all that either.

Master of My Domain
Just to keep this from getting too serious I will add that I don't understand the hell out of 2001.
In my opinion, 2001 is not one of those movie that should require a mindset trying to grasp it's entire meaning. Perhaps it's because when I first saw it I was amazed by the imagery alone and didn't think of anything else. A black monolith gives me a feeling of relaxation, not confusion.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You cant be opening a thread with that title and the first post be a smiley! Hell naw, you gotta put it out there, you have to set the tone. Whats your most controversial film opinion Matt?
Haven't I said enough??

A black monolith gives me a feeling of relaxation, not confusion.
What an utterly bizarre thing to say.

I don't like The Shawshank Redemption and it bothers me every time I see it sat there at the top of 'best film' lists.
Yaasss,i was thinking i knew id forgotten something.
do not understand the love for this movie at all.

Vertigo...Well, first off, the pace is painfully slow. And I don't mean slow burn. I mean SLOW AS HELL!. Every scene has the same level of energy, calm but bland. The mystery is not compelling, the characters have nothing to do and it just overall has no energy or personality. It is just so bland and uninteresting. I almost fell asleep.
Vertigo is the best. It really scared me and I found it really disturbing. While I generally dislike Hitchcock's movies (I find most of them boring), Vertigo was a great experience.
Wow! those are two polar opposite views on Vertigo! So I will have to decide who's right I'll watch Vertigo and see what I think

Yup, I'm a big fan of Hitch's. I've seen many of his films and most of his American made films. I loved both Notorious and really like North By Northwest. I just seen one of his older British films, Jamaica Inn the other day. For some strange reason I have never gotten around to watching Vertigo. But thanks to this thread I just requested it from my library.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Something controversial by film-goer standards? Okay, I got this:

I like the Star Wars prequels (a trilogy where 2 films are consistently hated) more than The Social Network (a film many people thought deserved BP of 2010). I'm serious - I've even reviewed them:

Star Wars Ep. I - 6/10
Star Wars Ep. II - 5/10
Star Wars Ep. III - 9/10

TSN - 4/10

Few popular and/or acclaimed films i don't like much:

Rear Window, No Country For Old Men, L'avventura, Blade Runner, American History X, Trainspotting, All About Eve.

Few panned or mixed reviewed films i like a lot:

Scary Movie, Scary Movie 2, The Man Who Knew Too Little, Showgirls, Batman Forever, Baseketball, The Cable Guy, Poltergeist II

Also i really love the cell-i think its visually so stunning and the nightmare-ish tone it sets.
i dont know what people here think of it but from what i read online most seem to hate it-not met any in real life whose even seen it.
though i am not a fan of vince vaughn.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm more interested in the fact that you could watch that movie without trying to rip the heads off of every single character.

(I'm not saying anyone is stupid for liking or disliking these movies, I'm just wondering how)
I saw Gummo, which I liked.. Julien Donkey Boy was ok, Werner Herzog was hilarious.. I once tried watching "Spring Breakers" but it seemed like a movie trying to make money, and in the last year or so, if I don't like the first 15-20 minutes, I put on something else, as I don't watch as many movies as I did a few years ago when I didn't have the internet at home..

Perhaps Blade Runner will grow on you with a second viewing? Have you only seen it once?
Twice. I just think it is one of those films that will never work for me. As i said i think it is extremely well made so i understand why it is so loved and acclaimed, i just can't connect with it.

I like trashy cinema. I like hateful cinema. I like imperfections in cinema. I think a lot of people are seeking for a level of perfection that is unreachable and causes a small level of anxiety. So I embrace the imperfections, for that reason and others.

I think people who really love Blade Runner connect to it, in an almost spiritual way. So if someone doesn't connect, then the rest of the film doesn't seem to speak to them. I'll be curious to see your review of it in the 10th.