Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Traffic, from 2000, is for me not only a worthwhile film, but still true enough to beat all these current productions in many ways. An amazing combination of stories and fates of many people, in a distinctive and specific to this scenario, who has not seen it, I will not tell but it is worth watching.
It’s a classic. I love a good ensemble movie.

Best film of the year.
Neutral as to whether Close is that good, but certainly a very good movie.

Re-watch. Not bad. Used to listen to this on the radio on Saturday evenings.

Somewhat far-fetched, but I didn’t care. (Maybe it’s supposed to be a fairy tale?) First time I liked a movie with Ellen Page & Evan Rachel Wood is always good. I enjoyed this very much. Very well-acted by the two leads.

The Venture Bros.: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart - Movie length feature that beautifully provides the closure that every single fan of the show was hoping for. Watching this is inevitably hard to do if you followed the series. It'll make you so nostalgic that you'll momentarily forget it's no longer on the air. It doesn't miss a beat so that you feel like you left off watching the last episode a week ago. Then you remember it ran for seven seasons over fifteen years and the last episode aired in 2018.

I'm still not sure if these were unaired episodes that were strung together but if they weren't then kudos to Chris McCulloch and Doc Hammer for the airtight continuity. The only real difference is the healthy use of F-bombs which somehow add to the experience as opposed to self-consciously detracting from it. It's like they'd always been there and we just hadn't noticed it. This is a must see for any fan of The Venture Bros..

90/100

Zombieland (2009)

Right off the top I don't like the soundtrack. Then the next problem is with the middling story. Not much progression and not much suspense or thrill there. Popping off zombies seems easy as pie and the lighthearted friends thing, it just doesn't take itself serious enough to make the zombies terrifying. Because of the crap story alone I'd have said no points from me but visually this movie is pretty damn good and there wasn't anything offensive or off-putting in there so with the writers handicap I say can't be seven.

6/10

I will finish off my last beer now.
My favorite Woody Harrelson performance.

@ScarletLion thanks for pointing out Last Stop Larrimah (2023)! I really enjoyed it and I find it very difficult to sit through any movies nowadays. This was right up my alley. You know me better than the Amazon Prime algorithm which was hiding this gem from me.
I give it

THEM!
(1954, Douglas)

"None of the ants previously seen by man were more than an inch in length - most considerably under that size. But even the most minute of them have an instinct and talent for industry, social organization, and savagery that makes man look feeble by comparison."

That's how scientist Harold Medford (Edmund Gwenn) describes the threat that giant ants might present. Amazing when they're little, terrifying when they're the size of a car, Them! follows the efforts of Medford, along with a group of law enforcement agents, to stop them from spreading across the nation. But can they avoid their natural instinct and savagery in order to succeed?

First, it was nice to see Whitmore in something other than The Shawshank Redemption. Moreover, he probably had the best performance from the bunch delivering good dialogue and witty retorts. Arness played Graham a bit more straight, but their back-and-forth was effective. Gwenn and Joan Weldon were also pretty solid as the two scientists sent to assist law enforcement.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Boldly going.
Sisu
8/10.
This is what would happen if Rambo, Indiana Jones and Inglorious Basterds collided.
Great fun.

I forgot the opening line.

By https://www.eofilm.eu/pressmaterrals, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=70831235

EO - (2022)

"People who know donkeys report that they are smart, personable, and affectionate. They understand dozens of voice commands, come running when they are called, and are fiercely loyal to those they trust. As social animals, donkeys enjoy company and develop strong emotional bonds with other animals." Last year's EO and The Banshees of Inisherin really have me falling in love with donkeys, and in this Oscar-nominated Polish film we follow Eo along a winding road after being liberated by animal advocates from a circus - it's from the donkey's point of view, so this isn't a film big on spoken dialogue. Along the way he comes across humans who range from being intolerably cruel to quite kind - and all-up, it's another unbearably sad international nominee. I see it compared an awful lot to Robert Bresson's Au Hasard Balthazar - making that another film I want to catch up with, although I'm not sure if I can handle the emotional side of such a movie. Anyway - this was really good. It's the last of the '23 International Feature Academy Award noms for me - seen 'em all now. I still think The Quiet Girl was the best of them, but for the most part they were all really good.

8/10

By http://impawards.com/2000/under_suspicion.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16069409

Under Suspicion - (2000)

As if to prove that nothing is original these days, I learn that this one is based on French film Garde à vue, which is probably well worth seeing. It's mostly confined to a police station, where well-off attorney Henry Hearst (Gene Hackman) is being questioned by Victor Benezet (Morgan Freeman) and Detective Felix Owens (Thomas Jane) in relation to the rape and murder of two little girls. Hearst lies a lot, and keeps trying to cover his tracks - but his very young wife, Chantal (Monica Bellucci) has information that can sink him. This film looked a lot like a low budget affair, but it isn't - perhaps most of the money went to it's two stars. We spend most of the time in the police station, where Hearst is questioned - when his memories are replayed over and over again, each time changing according to how he's changing his story, we see the detectives themselves enter them. They're questioning him at the station, but we see them asking this and that inside Hearst's own memories. Not the first time I've seen that - but I still thought it was cool. Thanks to it's cast, this is watchable - I didn't think it'd be much at first, but I never lost interest.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

THEM!
(1954, Douglas)

That's how scientist Harold Medford (Edmund Gwenn) describes the threat that giant ants might present. Amazing when they're little, terrifying when they're the size of a car, Them! follows the efforts of Medford, along with a group of law enforcement agents, to stop them from spreading across the nation. But can they avoid their natural instinct and savagery in order to succeed?

First, it was nice to see Whitmore in something other than The Shawshank Redemption. Moreover, he probably had the best performance from the bunch delivering good dialogue and witty retorts. Arness played Graham a bit more straight, but their back-and-forth was effective. Gwenn and Joan Weldon were also pretty solid as the two scientists sent to assist law enforcement.

Grade:

That one's an old favorite I first saw on late night monster movie shows. It now occupies a place of honor on the big heap of DVDs in the basement.

Good luck with this one - Foe, just out.

I don't know that I want to describe this strange flick, but "Digital Spy" says - "Mescal plays Junior, who lives with his wife Henrietta (Ronan) in a near-future America. Here, a government program tests the viability of identical artificially-intelligent beings, replacing astronauts back down on Earth to live with their families."

There's a married couple, living in the middle of the grimmest nowhere I've seen all week (the Australian outback, subbing for a ruined part of the US), "in a world" where nothing is going well and the planet is running down. They have a farm where nothing grows, but somehow they manufacture chickens by the thousands. One of them is replaced by a replicant who is sent to some off-world colony for unclear reasons. Does it matter?

It's the Blade Runner quandary all over again, only Blade Runner was intelligible and made sense, unlike Foe. With only 3 named characters (and some goon-dressed, faceless minions) and the ecologically-blasted wasteland, it's cinematic minimalism at it's most maximal.

All things considered, I thought that, the off-world colony seemed like the better choice than waiting for the rest of the earth's environmental collapse to reach its grim end.

At least it was somewhat interesting in that sense that someone was trying real hard to break some sort of sci-fi mold. Unfortunately it really didn't work well.

3 out of 10 for me.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Judgment at Nuremberg 9.5/10 Some of the best acting i have seen,Maximilian Schell in particular was excellent

The Castle 7/10 A fun and enjoyable Australian movie with a young Eric Bana

The Gentlemen 7/10 Not as great as Guy Ritchies earlier work but still a fun movie

Phantom of the Paradise 8/10 An underrated and unique film with some great songs

Totally Killer 7.5/10 A time travelling slasher movie,whats not to love about that

the best movie ever

My favorite Woody Harrelson performance.
I've seen him in a lot of movies and on TV but never thought about what his best performance was. This would probably rank high on the list. The actors are fine in this movie, but their tasks and the plot devices and sometimes the dialogue doesn't sit well. Maybe I'm missing the point.

"Swallow" is a seriously unsettling film that left me with mixed feelings. The story follows a young woman who develops an obsession with swallowing dangerous objects. Haley Bennett delivers an incredible performance, capturing the character's internal struggles. The cinematography is impressive, adding to the film's overall discomfort. While it's a thought-provoking exploration of mental health, the movie's disturbing content may not be for everyone.

7/10

That one's an old favorite I first saw on late night monster movie shows. It now occupies a place of honor on the big heap of DVDs in the basement.
It's really good. I kept going back and forth between a 3.5 and a 4, but regardless of the rating, I recommend it to anyone that likes these "creature features". It's easily one of the best.

The Mystery of the 13th Guest - This old dark house mystery doesn't work on most every level. The premise and title might draw you in but you won't find anything close to what you might be looking for. To begin with, the actual "mystery of the 13th guest" is never addressed outside of a passing reference to an unoccupied chair at the beginning. Reclusive millionaire Mr. Morgan calls together all his living relatives to announce that they've been left out of his will with the exception of his eight year old granddaughter Marie. He tells her that in 13 years when she turns 21 she is to return to that exact place and open a letter that he has left entrusted to his attorney John Barksdale. Flash forward those 13 years and an adult Marie exits a cab and makes her way inside the now derelict mansion. For some unexplained reason the phone and electricity are working and the murder part of the mystery soon arrives. Additional victims start stacking up based on the seating arrangement of that first get together.

This was clearly a B picture with economy sets camouflaged by indistinct lighting and a cast that wasn't exactly A listers. The most bothersome and distracting element however was the ongoing and forced attempts at comedic relief. Maybe a laugh track was in order because chances are most viewers will sit there wondering what exactly the filmmakers were going for. The actress playing Marie (Helen Parrish) performs adequately but her leading man and ersatz love interest, private detective Johnny Smith (Dick Purcell), is a puzzling lump of a character. There's a contrived and contentious relationship between Smith and the lead detective in the case Police Lt. Burke (Tim Ryan) that is the source of most of the cringeworthy humor as the two men trade anemic insults. The rest of the nonexistent laughs are assigned to Burke's uninspired buffoon of an underling Speed Dugan (Frank Faylen). Never has so much time been devoted in an attempt to generate so few laughs. Long story short, maybe try the original 1932 version with Ginger Rogers. It might be just as bad but it's doubtful it could be much worse.

35/100

THEM!
(1954, Douglas)

Grade:

I really like this film. Well acted despite some of the dialogue, and superb special effects for its day. It might be the best '50s monster movie.