Singers who can act

Tools    

Takeshi Kaneshiro who is an asian actor (House of Flying Daggers, Red Cliff, Fallen Angels, Chungking Express, etc) is actually a Cantopop star.

I prefer him as an actor... just love him in "Red Cliff".
Oh yeah, I forgot about him. Jackie Cheung is another one.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Perhaps the most impressed I've ever been with a singer turned actor (and I probably wouldn't believe it had I not seen it with my own eyes) is actually Courtney Love.

In both The People vs Larry Flynt and Man on the Moon I thought she was excellent. So much so that I think it's a great shame she was never able to really follow those up and make a real movie career for herself

I'll echo JD's post regarding Courtney Love. She really was great in both of those films and should have gone on to do more.

My favourites are the usual stuff like David Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth,The Hunger and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, as well as Mick Jagger in Performance and Tony Richardson's Ned Kelly, and Debbie Harry in Videodrome.

I also think Björk was pretty good in Dancer in the Dark.

As for stuff not mentioned: I think legendary French singer Johnny Hallyday (below right) is great in L'homme Du Train

and Phil Collins did ok in Buster

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I'll echo JD's post regarding Courtney Love. She really was great in both of those films and should have gone on to do more.
Thanks UF. I think a large reason why she probably didn't do more is because of the many problems she has in her personal life in terms of addiction and mental health problems. Issues like that don't tend to make you the most reliable of hires. It might work for your image as a musician but it won't do a great deal for you as an actor. Even if a director desperately wanted her for a part I think they'd have a hell of a time convincing the studio to approve it. I imagine during her worst years it would also have cost a mint to have her insured, if an insurance company would even touch her

Just looking at her imdb page though and she does appear to be having a little bit of a renaissance. After 10 years of doing nothing in the last year she's had recurring roles in three TV shows: Sons of Anarchy, Empire and Revenge, and is currently filming her first movie since 2001.

My favourites are the usual stuff like David Bowie in The Man Who Fell to Earth,The Hunger and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, as well as Mick Jagger in Performance and Tony Richardson's Ned Kelly, and Debbie Harry in Videodrome.

I also think Björk was pretty good in Dancer in the Dark.

As for stuff not mentioned: I think legendary French singer Johnny Hallyday (below right) is great in L'homme Du Train

and Phil Collins did ok in Buster

Wasnt Debbie Harry in one of the Tales from the Crypt films???

Edit: googled it.. she was in "Tales from the Dark Side". .. the Hansel and Gretel story line...

Debbie Harry and Courtney Love too

Singers who can be good actors or actresses:

Frank Sinatra.
Dean Martin.
Sammy Davis Jr.
David Bowie.
Cher
Tina Turner.
Will Smith.
Grace Jones.
Paul Williams.
Meatloaf.
Ice Cube.
Michael Jackson. (He was good in The Wiz)
Mos Def.
Dwight Yokhaim.
Kris Kristopherson.
Justin Timberlake.
Jared Leto.
Jamie Foxx
Ice Cube has never really impressed me as an actor and Michael Jackson was TERRIBLE in The Wiz.

Oh yes Debbie was also in Tales from the Darkside the Movie as the witch.

Where Mark Wahlberg is concerned, I think the question is whether or not he can sing...I mean never heard anything but "Good Vibrations" and he was hardly singing.

David Bowie was kick ass in The Prestige

Timberlake isn't too bad when he gets the right material

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Singers who can be good actors or actresses:

Frank Sinatra.
Dean Martin.
Sammy Davis Jr.
David Bowie.
Cher
Tina Turner.
Will Smith.
Grace Jones.
Paul Williams.
Meatloaf.
Ice Cube.
Michael Jackson. (He was good in The Wiz)
Mos Def.
Dwight Yokhaim.
Kris Kristopherson.
Justin Timberlake.
Jared Leto.
Jamie Foxx
neiba
Fixed

Mel Tillis---The Villain, Smokey and the Bandit II, The Cannonball Run
Mel Tormé---The Naked Gun 2˝: The Smell of Fear, Night Court, Seinfeld
Steve Lawrence---The Blues Brothers, The Lonely Guy, Oceans Eleven

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Oh yes Debbie was also in Tales from the Darkside the Movie as the witch.
She was also in the original "Hairspray". That also featured Sonny Bono and Ric Ocasek in it.