Movie Tab II

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
8 1/2 (Fellini, 1963) - Watched it again. The opening scene is quite possibly the coolest opening scene ever... It's definitely one fo the coolest I have seen...

The Incredibles
(Bird, 2004) - Very fun, excellent animation...

Taps (1981) 3/5
The Pacifier (2005) 2 ˝/5

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Crash- Not quite sure what it was all about, was expecting something more like Amores Perros but it seems i was mistaken. Basically, I gathered everyone is a racist, which seems a little far fetched. It had a nice story arc, and some touching moments, but overall i thought there was too much to bond with or get any satisfaction from. 3/5

War of the Worlds- Taken me a long time to get round to seeing it, quite impressed despite huge gnawing plot holes. One of the better 'blockbusters' of the year, great effects. Wasn't to convinced by all the perfomances and would have liked a bit more closure on Cruise/Robbins section. Just a nice eye-candy film, really. 4/5

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Crash- Not quite sure what it was all about...Basically, I gathered everyone is a racist, which seems a little far fetched.
Far fetched? Wow. What neighborhood of Utopia do you live in? And how do they keep the darkies out?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

UK culture and racism is pretty different to America's, we have no gang-bangers and no ghettos. I really don't think racism is as big a deal here, at least in regards to "darkies", so watching this film, it was introducing me to a foregin culture. So forgive me for reaching an outsiders conclusion as to what the film presented i.e. everyone being racist.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
UK culture and racism is pretty different to America's, we have no gang-bangers and no ghettos. I really don't think racism is as big a deal here, at least in regards to "darkies", so watching this film, it was introducing me to a foregin culture. So forgive me for reaching an outsiders conclusion as to what the film presented i.e. everyone being racist.
What about the "pakis"?

Of course there got to be some kind of segregation in UK as well. I live in Sweden and there is "ghettos" here.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

It's not that far-fetched regardless of the continent. It never showed every single person's viewpoint on racism who lived in the greater Los Angeles area, it chose a selection of racist people and their victims. Grabbing a couple of handful of people out of a city of millions isn't that far fetched.

BTW: Go to the War of the Worlds thread and list those 'gnawing plot holes'. I'd like to know just what you're talking about.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

You ready? You look ready.
Les Triplettes de Belleville- Finally got to watch this and I have to say, Wow! Loved it. Watched it with my mom and she would randomly shout STUPID!!

Fight Club- Got my dad to watch it and he said it was one of the worse films he'd seen.

Unleashed- Was able to get my dad to watch this one and he said that my taste in movies had gone to the dogs. I just laughed.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by John McClane
Was able to get my dad to watch this one and he said that my taste in movies had gone to the dogs. I just laughed.
That's a good sign. My Da thinks of himself as a Western fan but rates Soldier Blue above The Searchers.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Midsommer Night's Dream --- love shakespeare and i really rather enjoyed this, Calista Flockhart did an ok job too and Helena. Dominic West was hot too as the lover Lysander. Beautiful sets and costumes, lovely to look at.

The Crying Game (1992, Neil Jordan)

4/5 (3.5/5 if I'm being critical)

Haven't watched this in a few years and Forest Whitaker still stands out like a sore thumb. Dodgy accent, sure, but he just doesn't carry himself (or resemble) a soldier. Pity, as this is one of Jordan's best films.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
The Crying Game (1992, Neil Jordan)

4/5 (3.5/5 if I'm being critical)

...Forest Whitaker still stands out like a sore thumb. Dodgy accent, sure, but he just doesn't carry himself (or resemble) a soldier.
Boy, I couldn't disagree more. I always thought Whitaker played the role perfectly. Soldiers aren't always tougher than nails professionals. Sometimes they're just regular joes with hearts that break and feel fear. How do you think he should have played it differently?

BTW: The Crying Game is one of my 100 favorite movies.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Boy, I couldn't disagree more. I always thought Whitaker played the role perfectly. Soldiers aren't always tougher than nails professionals. Sometimes they're just regular joes with hearts that break and feel fear. How do you think he should have played it differently?

BTW: The Crying Game is one of my 100 favorite movies.
I wasn't questioning his personality at all, more his deportmant. Jody was a complicated guy with a 'secret' indeed, but he ambled around like Private Pile after his 16th attempt at the climbing frame.

....and the accent does grate...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Watched City of Lost Children last night to the end, which was a bit of an endurance test. The world of this film is so fully created, down to the last detail in it's beautiful repulsiveness, but I just didn't relate to the characters. They didn't feel at all human, to me, despite the all-too-intense look we get at some of them.

I wasn't questioning his personality at all, more his deportmant. Jody was a complicated guy with a 'secret' indeed, but he ambled around like Private Pile after his 16th attempt at the climbing frame.

....and the accent does grate...
He ambled around? he knew he was gonna die, bro. I'd be ambling a little too. And what do you know about British accents?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Watched City of Lost Children last night to the end, which was a bit of an endurance test. The world of this film is so fully created, down to the last detail in it's beautiful repulsiveness, but I just didn't relate to the characters. They didn't feel at all human, to me, despite the all-too-intense look we get at some of them.
Aw, that's too bad. But at least you were still impressed with his vision.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I haven't seen this in ages, but I remember this kinda bothering me, as well. There wasn't the hint of physical discipline in him. I guess that could be pointed to as the reason he winds up in the predicament that he does, but it does seem he's a huge creampuff.