Is Leonardo DiCaprio the best actor in the world RIGHT NOW?

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't know if I have already posted in this thread before, but I am going to ahead and potentially reiterate my thoughts regarding Leonardo DiCaprio. The individuals that proclaim he hasn't put on an extraordinary performance before are living in a pit of lies or carry a mind-set that I can't comprehend. The reason that Leonardo "constantly" gets praise, is because he constantly puts on one great performance after the other. The Departed and Django Unchained are two of my personal favorites from him, but Inception is also quite definitely a feather in his cap.

I think it's certainly debatable whether or not Leonardo DiCaprio is the greatest, or even one of the greatest actors in the world, but I don't think anybody can deny his worth to cinema, and what he has done. You don't get one critically acclaimed movie after another for being a talentless hack.

The individuals that proclaim he hasn't put on an extraordinary performance before are living in a pit of lies or carry a mind-set that I can't comprehend.
that's nice to hear.
But I think that characters make actors,not their namie.I look at DDL and I think of Daniel Plainview,I look at Pacino and I see Tony Montana,not Al Pacino etc etc.
Now,I look at Dicaprio,I see Dicaprio.I look at Jack in Titanic,I see Dicaprio.Notice that I said Jack?Because I don't remeber his last name.I don't remeber his character's name in Blood Diamond,Inception and other I've mentioned before.And I think that a lot of people during a friendly chat says "I really liked Amsterdam in Gangs of New York.-who? - Dicaprio.-ooooh,now I remember." I know it may sound silly but it's true!
I can't really comment on Calvin Candie and Django Unchained because overall I don't think that highly of the film,therefore,none of the performances (including Waltz) looks as impressive as they do to most people.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
that's nice to hear.
But I think that characters make actors,not their namie.I look at DDL and I think of Daniel Plainview,I look at Pacino and I see Tony Montana,not Al Pacino etc etc.
Now,I look at Dicaprio,I see Dicaprio.I look at Jack in Titanic,I see Dicaprio.Notice that I said Jack?Because I don't remeber his last name.I don't remeber his character's name in Blood Diamond,Inception and other I've mentioned before.And I think that a lot of people during a friendly chat says "I really liked Amsterdam in Gangs of New York.-who? - Dicaprio.-ooooh,now I remember." I know it may sound silly but it's true!
I can't really comment on Calvin Candie and Django Unchained because overall I don't think that highly of the film,therefore,none of the performances (including Waltz) looks as impressive as they do to most people.
I don't think so, Tim. I couldn't tell you the name of a lot of great characters in a lot of great movies, that means absolutely nothing. This doesn't mean they didn't immerse themselves enough, but rather, it wasn't marketed or framed in such a way that the name was deemed necessary. There are some movies like Drive, where the name is ignored entirely, but it was still a great character. (Also, when I think Al Pacino, I too think Scarface, but I feel like more might think Godfather.)

Epic is a fad. Out of this world can be just being yourself.
Well Paul Newman, has passed; so I don't think he's relevant to the best actor in the world right now I think a lot of people don't give enough credit to Leo simply because of who he is if that makes sense. Beyond his status and looks lies a very talented creature. I wouldn't say he's the very best but definitely top 10. Just look at his diversity in his films. Most actors could not pull of those characters. I think his work speaks for him...

I'll be the devil's advocate here. Is Leonardo DC the greatest actor in the world? Of course not, but just who IS? I don't know the answer to that. When I look at movies, TV and live theater, I see a lot of excellent actors. In terms of being able to do their lines, use body language, convey emotion, even the people who star in SyFy movies with names like The Ant-Nado are good actors.

What separates Leonardo, or other currently hot actors from the people who flee weird tornados is usually the material, direction and production. A great director with a good production will get better results with the same actor than a SyFy director. DiCaprio is currently riding a wave, making money and getting good jobs. He's all over the media, who seem to promote the idea that it will be a great movie because he's in it. He has momentum, is bankable that that will get him into more A List movies, which creates the appearance that he must be a great actor, otherwise why would he be in all these high-budget movies? Circular logic at it's best. I would agree that he certainly is a good actor, but the greatest or even the greatest at this moment? I don't think so. I actually thought he was mid-range at best as J Edgar Hoover.

I don't think he is the best actor in the world, but he might be the biggest box office draw right now, which doesn't really have anything to do with his skill as an actor.

Well, I'm honestly not a fan of his at all. In fact I avoid most of the things he's in. I have ever since Titanic. So to say he's the best, I'd say is far from the truth. Something about him since growing pains has always annoyed the crap out of me.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Well, I'm honestly not a fan of his at all. In fact I avoid most of the things he's in. I have ever since Titanic. So to say he's the best, I'd say is far from the truth. Something about him since growing pains has always annoyed the crap out of me.
If you have ignored his work since Titantic, you are missing out on why so many people like him in the first place.

I felt the same way for a long while. Then I saw Blood Diamond then he earned my respect. Been a fan ever since.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
He has definitely been moving further and further up the charts, so I can't really disagree with anyone who would think so. Realistically a top 10 actor in terms of accomplishments right now.

What McConnaughay said.

If you've avoided his work for the last 16 years, then you really have no idea what he's capable of as an actor.

I join the no-sayers, but admit, that he has an amazing talent to pick movies.

I felt the same way for a long while. Then I saw Blood Diamond then he earned my respect. Been a fan ever since.
That said, I saw inception and I honestly think it would have been better without him. His acting in that was in my opinion, no better than titanic, which to me means Ellen Page is level's above him.

I liked his performance in Inception. I also very much enjoyed him in Blood Diamond, The Departed, Catch Me If You Can, Revolutionary Road, The Aviator, Shutter Island, The Wolf of Wall Street and probably some others I'm not thinking of at the moment. The only post-Titanic movies he's done that I haven't enjoyed were Gangs of New York and J. Edgar, but neither was because of his performance.

I thought J Edgar was pretty good personally. But Not as good as some of his other movies.
The movie itself wasn't bad, but I was really bothered by the awful make up job they did trying to age him and other characters. It really took me out of the movie.

I have not actually seen Inception yet so I cannot comment there.
Blasphemy!
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood