Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
But if you don't vote for what you love, something gets votes that shouldn't. Then the final countdown is not true.
Never really has been to be honest. I usually don't vote this way for the record but there are a ton of people who do.

Never really has been to be honest. I usually don't vote this way for the record but there are a ton of people who do.
I know we do see it a lot. Personally I don't get it.

But if you don't vote for what you love, something gets votes that shouldn't. Then the final countdown is not true.
Also you don’t actually know what other people are going to vote for, so your assumption that a personal favorite won’t make it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you leave it off your ballot because it’s possible that your vote would’ve nudged it onto the countdown.

Real Steel

The father is presented as horrible, and the whole film is generic, corny, and predictable. It was ok though because I looked at it from the standpoint of it being a kid's movie, which I do think it is. Viewing it that way I was able to enjoy it all the way through. The highlights for me were all of the fight scenes. They were fun and I thought they were done well. As a longtime sports fan I always like a good underdog story almost to the point of no matter what. It's not a movie to be taken seriously.

To my great shock, my library does not have Real Steel and I'll have to order it from another branch. I'll try to get to it, but probably won't get to watch it before the deadline in this thread. Sorry!

Also you don’t actually know what other people are going to vote for, so your assumption that a personal favorite won’t make it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you leave it off your ballot because it’s possible that your vote would’ve nudged it onto the countdown.
This. I had a few films on the last countdown that I figure would get zero votes, but other people voted for them too! And a few personal favorites that I thought would languish in the bottom 20 or so made it to the top half or higher.

The idea of submitting a ballot that's been designed to get the most movies on the list and not actually that person's favorite movies is so off-putting. It's like if someone asked you what your favorite song was and instead of answering honestly you just said a song you like pretty well that you thought a lot of people would recognize. Like, why?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Real Steal (2011)

It started out a little off for me and I didn't like the bull fighting the robot scene. I couldn't watch some of that and yeah I know the bull was mostly CG when it was being hit by the robot. But then the movie hooked me and I found Hugh Jackman's character to be colorfully interesting. I liked how he was basically a good guy but sorta a dumbass in his decisions. Then when the kid came into the mix I thought it might be a case of too-cuteness but I liked the kid as he was a smartass and angry at the start of their relationship and that felt believable. I dug the bot fighting, that was pretty cool I must say and who doesn't love a underdog winning. Real Steal is like Karate Kid with heavy machinery...I liked it and had a good time watching it on Halloween eve.

I didn't like the bull fighting scene either, but the rest of the movie is so good that it makes up for it.

Thanks for watching it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm getting a headache even thinking about my list I want to submit. Mainly because I'm not sure what has a chance and what doesn't and don't really want to waste votes on things that won't make it this time.

Your list should be based on the movies that you love, not based on the movies that you think other people love.

That's exactly what I'm doing this time. I don't want to waste a vote on a movie only I love...and I don't want to waste a vote on a movie everyone loves that doesn't need my help. I want to get some of my favorites in the countdown, though I don't think most of them will make it unless everyone becomes big fans of Will Ferrell and Jack Black real soon!

Then don't bother wasting your votes on movies like Parasite, Fury Road, La La Land, Moonlight, Tree Of Life, Shape Of Water, The Master, Call Me By Your Name, Wolf Of Wall Street, and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, because they're predicted to be in the top ten, so they don't need your help.

From the Preliminary Thread:

I will be surprised if Parasite and Fury Road aren’t 1 and 1A. Here’s my guess for the rest of the top ten in no particular order: LA La Land, Moonlight, Tree Of Life, Shape Of Water, The Master, Call Me By Your Name, Wolf Of Wall Street, and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

And if everyone votes the same way you do, we might get a top ten that's a complete surprise.

My list is always my favorite movies, regardless of whether or not they might make the countdown. (Which is probably why I rarely have more than 1 or 2 movies on my list that make the top ten of any countdown.)

Real Steel

The father is presented as horrible, and the whole film is generic, corny, and predictable. It was ok though because I looked at it from the standpoint of it being a kid's movie, which I do think it is. Viewing it that way I was able to enjoy it all the way through. The highlights for me were all of the fight scenes. They were fun and I thought they were done well. As a longtime sports fan I always like a good underdog story almost to the point of no matter what. It's not a movie to be taken seriously.

I don't think of Real Steel as a "kid's movie", but even at my age, I'm still a kid at heart, so I love it.

I rarely like the fight scenes in movies, but I loved the final fight scene in this movie.

Thanks for watching it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Your list should be based on the movies that you love, not based on the movies that you think other people love.
Then don't bother wasting your votes on movies like Parasite, Fury Road, La La Land, Moonlight, Tree Of Life, Shape Of Water, The Master, Call Me By Your Name, Wolf Of Wall Street, and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, because they're predicted to be in the top ten, so they don't need your help.

From the Preliminary Thread:

And if everyone votes the same way you do, we might get a top ten that's a complete surprise.
My list is always my favorite movies, regardless of whether or not they might make the countdown. (Which is probably why I rarely have more than 1 or 2 movies on my list that make the top ten of any countdown.)
Of course I never vote for a film that I don't love, that would be silly and I certainly don't vote for movies because other people love them unless I love them too...But I have a huge list of at least 50 or more films that I'd like to have on my ballot, so I have to find ways to weed them out until I hit 25...I think we all have that problem. So we have to find ways to decide between movie A and movie B and movie C and so on. How does one decide? I can't personally say I love movie B more than movie C, I don't relate to movies that way and nothing in my decision making process is binary it's all shades of gray. So I'm looking for other criteria to help me decide which films get cut. Example, I ask myself: am I voting for what I only enjoy and if so that might mean giving up a ballot spot to a fun but not great movie. Or should I vote for what I think is a great film regardless if I personally love it or not (as long as I didn't dislike it)? Or is it more important to get recognition for films that I think are worthy and need the recognition because without my help they might not make the ballot?

So let's say I love a film because it's a fun watch for me, but I know it's not really all that great of a movie (say like Real Steal, it was fun but I know it's just a popcorn Hollywood film), then my preference is not to include it on my ballot as I rather give that honor to a movie that is more than just a fun 'comfort' movie but is also amazing in it's construction and dynamics.

Real miserable day here weather-wise so I rewatched Real Steel this morning, the robot-on-robot fights are certainly fun and make it a worthwhile watch but I feel just the same about the pat Spielbergian type of tale as I did on my initial watch - simply not really my cup of treacle.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think it's getting a little misconstrued this whole voting process thing. I'd say it's such a tight race from 1-50 on my ballot (well, more say 15-50) that I feel disappointed if I waste a vote on something not making it to see something in that 26-50 range miss out literally because I didn't give it anything. So definitely the process will be thought out in detail to try to avoid things like this from happening if I feel it's possible.