The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
CUPHEAD! OMGOSH!!!!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A system of cells interlinked
Another fun session of BG3 tonight. I am off to bed, and so is my cleric...

Another fun session of BG3 tonight. I am off to bed, and so is my cleric...

I started this last week, put over a dozen hours in. Little tough at first, takes some time to adjust to the game type, it's very unusual to have this kind of blend of real-time and turn-based, and more than once I've realized my (reasonable, I think) assumptions about how to play, based on so many other vaguely similar games, have led me astray or caused me to overlook something.

Just really exceptionally well made, though. That much is pretty much immediately evident.

I started this last week, put over a dozen hours in. Little tough at first, takes some time to adjust to the game type, it's very unusual to have this kind of blend of real-time and turn-based, and more than once I've realized my (reasonable, I think) assumptions about how to play, based on so many other vaguely similar games, have led me astray or caused me to overlook something.

Just really exceptionally well made, though. That much is pretty much immediately evident.
One thing I tend to forget, is that you can activate turn-based mode anytime you want, as opposed to getting used to just having the game change over to it once a battle starts. Keep that in mind!

Also: Don't try to find/see/do everything on your campaign, as it is impossible to do so. I made the decision to just let things happen as they may, and that it was just how my story was unfolding. A couple of time, they guy I am playing with would say "Oh shit, let's do that over," but I would push back, saying "Nope, this is how this character's story is unfolding. I can try to get a different result with another character sometime."

That said, be careful, as in my single player game, this strategy has led to me losing not one, but two main characters, forever!

Anyway, glad you are enjoying it!

Good advice, I'll try very hard to just roll with the, uh, rolls. Very hard for me to do! I've kind of told myself I'm going to indulge my perfectionism for a little bit longer, just until I feel moderately comfortable with the game, and from that point on whatever happens, happens. We'll see if I can follow through.

Good advice, I'll try very hard to just roll with the, uh, rolls. Very hard for me to do! I've kind of told myself I'm going to indulge my perfectionism for a little bit longer, just until I feel moderately comfortable with the game, and from that point on whatever happens, happens. We'll see if I can follow through.
What type of character are you playing?

Just a Wizard, I think. I'm pretty sure I'm not utilizing my character all that well, but it's getting there. There's so many abilities and options so I think I need to slow down and evaluate them all more.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I constantly have to stop my impulse of restarting from a last saved point when something I perceive as negative happens. For example, I picked up an NPC companion (not a primary NPC character, mind you) and got him killed within 5 minutes of starting his quest line. He's dead. Gone. Forever. I will never experience or gain insight from that particular character's arc, which seemed to be pretty cool at first glance! I was tempted to reload, but was convinced otherwise as this game will be full of paths that I can never fully realize in a single playthrough. OOooooooooh that's hard to accept, but is what it seems to be.

In all of my confusion and frustrations shared in this thread on the game, I did start a second run and I've noticed that this time around things are making so much more sense to me as I'm not trying to learn as much at once while other player friends are pushing faster than I can process. Too, I tried another class which is more aligned with my play style, I think. Whatever the reason, I am enjoying it considerably more now.

I hope you continue with it.

Just a Wizard, I think. I'm pretty sure I'm not utilizing my character all that well, but it's getting there. There's so many abilities and options so I think I need to slow down and evaluate them all more.
There are a ton of ways to approach any situation, even when thinking of just what your main character can do, and spellcasters have many different styles and approaches just within their class. Considering this and adding in all the dialogue options, one really starts to get an idea of how much flexibility and choice you really have...

With you playing a wizard, I am guessing your party currently consists of Shadowheart, Laezel and....hmmmm Astarion, maybe?

I constantly have to stop my impulse of restarting from a last saved point when something I perceive as negative happens. For example, I picked up an NPC companion (not a primary NPC character, mind you) and got him killed within 5 minutes of starting his quest line. He's dead. Gone. Forever. I will never experience or gain insight from that particular character's arc, which seemed to be pretty cool at first glance! I was tempted to reload, but was convinced otherwise as this game will be full of paths that I can never fully realize in a single playthrough. OOooooooooh that's hard to accept, but is what it seems to be.
Yeah, I have to accept that the game is built around failure, which most games aren't. I still haven't been able to avoid what you're describing, which I justify myself as not wanting to screw things up just because I'm unfamiliar with how to play properly, but I'm quickly reaching the point where I'll have to jettison that and just live with whatever.

It definitely seems like a good candidate for a replay, which is pretty rare for me these days.

There are a ton of ways to approach any situation, even when thinking of just what your main character can do, and spellcasters have many different styles and approaches just within their class. Considering this and adding in all the dialogue options, one really starts to get an idea of how much flexibility and choice you really have...

With you playing a wizard, I am guessing your party currently consists of Shadowheart, Laezel and....hmmmm Astarion, maybe?
Close, Wyll instead of Astarion. I have one or two others in camp but I haven't brought them out yet. Have not yet met Astarion, either I've missed him or I'm not far enough yet.

Close, Wyll instead of Astarion. I have one or two others in camp but I haven't brought them out yet. Have not yet met Astarion, either I've missed him or I'm not far enough yet.
Highlighted!

I mean, I'm not super far into the story, so maybe not? But also maybe. I did some things that seemed a little like "side quests" but I didn't do EVERYTHING they threw at me before, eh, moving on...

WARNING: spoilers below
...I'm in the Underdark

I mean, I'm not super far into the story, so maybe not? But also maybe. I did some things that seemed a little like "side quests" but I didn't do EVERYTHING they threw at me before, eh, moving on...

WARNING: spoilers below
...I'm in the Underdark
WARNING: "BG3" spoilers below
Astarion is the first or second person you meet after you and Shadowheart crash on the beach after the prologue, depending on which way you go from the crash site. I ran into him just after the crash, as I scouted around in each direction a bit before heading toward the Grove. I won't spoil exactly where he is but he is right in the general vicinity of the crash.

Oh, funny. Well, I guess I'm already rollin' with it inadvertently, so that's nice.
Been meaning to mention...

Make sure you are talking to animals! Keep a decent supply of potions of animal speaking on you, or get an ability that dies it etc. Lots of fun to be had in this regard.