Computer Repair n Tips

Tools    

I've had a problem with Safari crashing everytime I load up anything on youtube.

Thanks for input: could you go here http://www.darkhorizons.com/
and play any trailer and let me know if it crashes as well.

(btw I am doing some research and I have seen a pattern among ALL browsers - it tends to occur when watchign video or downloading.)

Thanks once again.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Thanks for input: could you go here http://www.darkhorizons.com/
and play any trailer and let me know if it crashes as well.

(btw I am doing some research and I have seen a pattern among ALL browsers - it tends to occur when watchign video or downloading.)

Thanks once again.
Just watched a few videos from that website and did not have any problems.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Nothing here - Firefox 5.01.

Is your codec pack up to date, 7th?

Now that I think of it, you mention downloading. I've found recently that Firefox seems to freeze and hang for a few seconds when something I'm downloading finishes. IE9 or Opera didn't.

Nothing here - Firefox 5.01.

Is your codec pack up to date, 7th?

Now that I think of it, you mention downloading. I've found recently that Firefox seems to freeze and hang for a few seconds when something I'm downloading finishes. IE9 or Opera didn't.
I am not having trouble myself actually - well not much. This is for some research I am doing . Many of my customer's browsers are crashing recently and it is spilling over into some of the warranty work I have done for Dell. Codecs could be an issue with video I imagine, but usually it is embedded video that causes the ssue. Anyway thanks for input .

The People's Republic of Clogher
I can remember having a problem with COM Surrogate crashing the entire Windows Explorer a few months ago and traced the problem to my codec pack (usually K-Lite's) - COM Surrogate couldn't handle avi thumbnail creation or something.

Maybe some of the video codecs people (site owners) use have had an update?

Just thinking out loud.

Anyone had this one?

Here's what happens, almost every time I begin to type something I hit the 'Shift' key OK? So almost every time I do that whatever the last thing I copied is automatically pasted into the box I'm typing in. It doesn't matter if I'm online or working on my desktop in a simple word program. Anyone know how I can turn this off? It is literally driving me nuts! I have been searching for days for a way to deal with this and I am stumped, it might help if I actually knew what was causing it but I don't.

The Adventure Starts Here!
PW, have you tried a different keyboard? I'm wondering if it's an electrical issue with the keys/keyboard itself. If not, could it be that you accidentally instituted a macro of some sort?

Is this in every single program -- forums, Facebook, Word, etc.? Global?

Anyone had this one?

Here's what happens, almost every time I begin to type something I hit the 'Shift' key OK? So almost every time I do that whatever the last thing I copied is automatically pasted into the box I'm typing in. It doesn't matter if I'm online or working on my desktop in a simple word program. Anyone know how I can turn this off? It is literally driving me nuts! I have been searching for days for a way to deal with this and I am stumped, it might help if I actually knew what was causing it but I don't.

Another thing yopu can try is your "On screen keyboard" usually it is under accessories in all programs. Try clicking shift there - if it still does it then it is not your keyboard. You may also try tapping your shift key 5 times in case it has something to do with sticky keys. Good luck - keep us updated I am curious on what it is causing that. It definitely could be a bad keyboard as Aus' said.

Sticky keys! That was the term I couldn't think of. I used to like the sound of a certain keyboard and I'd stupidly tap the shift key a bunch of times really fast just to hear it click ... and that sticky keys window would come up. DUH. I never learned -- happened all the time.

Haha. "Liked the sound of a keyboard"? Your weird
I know, I know. I'm such a geeky nerd, but I remember the days of clacky IBM keyboards, so when I find one that has a great tactile feel and/or sound to it, and if I'm sitting at the computer thinking and daydreaming, I'll end up tippy-tapping the keys ... and bingo! Sticky keys! Argh.

Oh, I have a bunch of those old IBM keyboards in storage. The "PS1" and the serial ones. I remember keeping my wife up late at night clacking away on those things.

(sigh) A thing of beauty. Heck, I'd even love to have the keyboard to my old Tandy 2000 back, except that it wasn't QUITE IBM-compatible and therefore wouldn't work with anything I have now anyway. LOL

As a touch typist, I personally am not thrilled with tablets enough to spend the big bucks just yet. Onscreen keyboards are a b*tch to type on very fast, and once you start pairing it with an actual keyboard, you might as well have a netbook (which I do and which I'm using right now) and have full programs and a hard drive and all that.

When I think of my iPod touch with a gargantuan screen, I see the fun-factor but not so much the productivity factor in my own case. Not for the prices they want for these things.

Once they drop in price a little more, I'll be interested... and once the paired keyboards are worth toting around and don't suck the batteries too much. Right now, my netbook with 92% size keyboard and nearly 8 hours of battery life, even on WiFi, is fine for me and my needs, and it fits in my purse without scratching its screen because it folds shut.

My two cents.

I do have an extra keyboard and I'll give that a go. I'm pretty certain its not sticky keys because I've found that in the menu and have it completely disabled.

It doesn't appear that I have an onscreen keyboard on this machine. Weird. At least its not in the acc menu. The calculator and everything else is there. Oh, well.