Popularity Meter • Do You Know Them?

Tools    

Revealing G3, part I
(index of popularity: arithmetic average 1-10)

Jackie Kennedy Onassis become the first personality identified by everybody, so her index is 10.0/10:

26. Jackie Kennedy Onassis (1929 – 1994) [10.0] - American socialite, first lady of the US 1961-63.

a step behind her is:

25. Gwen Stefani (b. 1969) [9.0] - American pop star

next, also well identified are:

21. Liv Tyler (b. 1977) [8.0] - American actress
22. Ronnie Wood (b. 1947) [8.0] - British rock musician, one of the Rolling Stones and former Faces.
24. Mark Twain (1835 – 1910) [8.0] - American classic writer, humorist and publisher.

to be continued.
I got all of these right, though I initially guessed wrong on Mark Twain and then immediately realized my mistake.

Revealing G3, part II

Half of the participants managed to identify Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber:

27. Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber (b. 1948) [5.0] - British composer

next in the line is:

23. Wes Anderson (b. 1969) [4.0] - American filmmaker

followed by A very sharp dressed man.

30. Isabelle Adjani (b. 1955) [3.30] - French actress

only one user managed to identify: Doh! I knew she was a French Actress does that count?

28. Lindsey Vonn (b. 1984) [2.0] - American alpine ski racer, four times World Cup year champion.
29. Garth Brooks (b. 1962) [2.0] - American country singer
---

This group surprises with the low knowledge about Garth Brooks. The whole world thinks that he is part of every American family...

North America is a big diverse place. You probably have a lot of old rock and roll heads in this comment section.

I'm surprised more people didn't identify Wes Anderson.
I've seen a lot of his movies, but had no idea what he looked like until now. I could probably count on one hand the number of directors who I would recognize even if I know their names and have seen their movies.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Revealing G4, part I

Andy Warhol is the second personality identified by everybody, so his index is 10.0/10 too:

32. Andy Warhol (1928 – 1987) [10.0] - American visual artist, leading figure in the pop art movement.

a step behind him, also well identified are:

33. Catherine, Princess of Wales (b. 1982) [8.90] - Member of the British royal family.
35. Diane Keaton (b. 1946) [8.90] - American actress

next in line is:

36. Peyton Manning (b. 1976) [6.11] - a NFL legend

to be continued

Revealing G4, part I

Andy Warhol is the second personality identified by everybody, so his index is 10.0/10 too:

32. Andy Warhol (1928 – 1987) [10.0] - American visual artist, leading figure in the pop art movement.

a step behind him, also well identified are:

33. Catherine, Princess of Wales (b. 1982) [8.90] - Member of the British royal family.
35. Diane Keaton (b. 1946) [8.90] - American actress

next in line is:

36. Peyton Manning (b. 1976) [6.11] - a NFL legend

to be continued
I got all of these right, though it took me awhile to figure out Catherine. Manning I must have recognized from endorsements because I don't care about football.

Revealing G4, part II

continuing with:

31. Paulette Goddard (1910 – 1990) [5.70] - American actress and socialite
37. Roman Polanski (b. 1933) [5.70] - French/Polish film director

39. Robbie Williams (b. 1974) [4.44] - British pop star

next in line is:

38. Romy Schneider (1938 – 1982) [3.67] - German-French actress

34. Eddie Vedder (b. 1964) [3.33] - American rock star

and the only personality so far, no one could identify:

40. Ruud Gullit (b. 1962) - Dutch footballer, legend of the National Team as well as FC Milan.
---

Here, Eddie Vedder can be added to the surprises. Pearl Jam been huge act in the world wide culture of the last decades.

Eddie Vedder is who I met in person.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well that's made me feel ridiculously old
I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I'll be 43 this year. My mom was born in 1955 so I don't think she is in their usual demographic of fans.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I'll be 43 this year. My mom was born in 1955 so I don't think she is in their usual demographic of fans.
According to this info, you are definitely in their demographic of fans.

Revealing G5, part I

In this group, we got another very popular personality within MoFo:

44. Debbie Harry (b. 1945) [9.44] - American singer, lead vocalist of the band Blondie.

far behind her is:

46. Hugh Hefner (1926 – 2017) [6.67] - American magazine publisher, founder of Playboy.

next in the line are:

42. Elisabeth Shue (b. 1963) [5.56] - American actress
43. Alain Delon (b. 1935) [5.56] - French film legend
45. Lenny Kravitz (b. 1964) [5.56] - American rock star
50. Karl Lagerfeld (1933 – 2019) [5.56] - German fashion designer, creative director of Chanel.

to be continued

I got Debbie Harry and Lenny Kravitz right. I don't know if I've ever seen a photo of Hugh Hefner that young before. I've mostly seen him from The Girls Next Door. I've seen a few of Alain Delon's films, but apparently not enough to recognize him. I couldn't name anything Elizabeth Shue has done and I don't care about fashion at all, so there was no way I was going to get Lagerfeld or any other designer.

Revealing G5, part II

continuing with:

47. Louis B. Mayer (1884 – 1957) [4.44] - American film producer, co-founder of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

and three great personalities, alas not well identified by MoFos:

41. Sergio Leone (1929 – 1989) [2.22] - an Italian filmmaker legend.
48. David Coverdale (b. 1951) [2.22] - British hard rock legend, front man of Deep Purple and Whitesnake, founder of the later.
49. Chris Evert Lloyd (b. 1954) [2.22] - American tennis legend, winner of 18 Grand Slam titles!!!
-----

To sum up the G5, that was kind of a shock: four users in a film site couldn't identify Alain Delon and only one got Sergio Leone... Wow!!!
The low knowledge about Chris Evert also surprises. I think, only Marilyn Monroe and Madonna can beat her as the most famous US women world-wide all time (yes, currently another tennis legend Serena Williams can join this group too).

Thanks to everybody who took part in this.
What do you think about the same, this time about "The most famous spots of the world"?

Arrrggghh! Elisabeth Shue! I knew she looked like someone I'd seen when they were younger. As a Karate Kid fan, I should have gotten that one.

I'd have gotten Serena Williams if she was pictured, but as far as all these blonde-haired, white, female tennis players? They all look alike to me.

Just like with Wes Anderson, I'm familiar with the work of both Mayer and Leone, but had no idea what they looked like. David Coverdale looked like he was some sort of rocker, but I couldn't figure out what band(s). I think I only know one song from Deep Purple ("Smoke On the Water") and one from Whitesnake ("Is This Love") anyway. I care even less about tennis than I do most other sports so no way was I gonna recognize Lloyd. I don't think I've even heard the name before.

The low knowledge about Chris Evert also surprises. I think, only Marilyn Monroe and Madonna can beat her as the most famous US women world-wide all time (yes, currently another tennis legend Serena Williams can join this group too).
No. Other than doing commentary for tennis broadcasts, Chris Evert hasn't been in the public eye much since she retired. When she retired her rivalry with Martina Navratilova was part of what made her famous in pop culture beyond her sport, but once they both faded, if you didn't live through that era I wouldn't say Chris Evert is a name or face that is really out there a lot. Now Billie Jean King never won as many championships as Evert, Navratilova, Stefi Graff, or the Williams sisters, but she has not only been a tireless ambassador for the sport but for womens sports in general, and she is an icon who is still worthy of movies about her being made and to be played by Emma Stone. Plus, Billie Jean has a trademark look with her glasses and short haircut, making her recognizable. There will not be a Chris Evert Lloyd movie ever.

The only two I did not recognize out of fifty were the Formula One driver and the soccer player. But as I watch neither sport, I am not surprised their faces were unknown to me. Hell, their names are unknown to me.

Again, I know I am good at this sort of thing, but I am shocked at some of the faces that went mostly unrecognized.

My best friend lives in L.A, and works in the industry as a story board artist. He has long said he would love to hire me as his assistant. Not to assist in his drawing but to bring me along to meetings and parties so that I could identify who the famous people in the room are. I'd be behind him discreetly whispering, "That's Vincent D'Onofrio, best known for Full Metal Jacket, Men in Black, and "Law & Order: Criminal Intent". You last saw him as Kingpin on "Daredevil". Your favorite of his is The Cell, which was directed by Tarsem Singh, who also made The Fall...."