The New Design Thread

Tools    

That's interesting, too--and it might be easier to program. I assume it would be just as good to have a button to report the user, instead of the posts, too? Though in that case I'd probably have to just have it contact the mods and not do anything automatically, because otherwise it's a little open to abuse, even of the pranking variety.
Perhaps, if possible, something along the lines of when you report a member that has under a certain amount of posts (say 100) you get a message saying would you like to report the single post or the user? That way it rules out a lot of misuse/pranking as nobody would really do that to new members.

I think a Report User Button might get abused...

At least with the Spam Button, the post disappears from the forum. But it's certainly be quicker for MoFos to clean up the forum by having a Spam Button next to each of their posts on their profile page rather than having to follow them around.

Just an idea really. I know I'd certainly use it if it was implemented.

Lots of good options. Let me make a few dents in the rest of the to-do list and come back to this and see if I can find the best work-to-effectiveness solution. Probably Report User without automation (or some caveats based on post count/tenure) or another button on post search results. Or both! Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quick, badly made, Photoshop of my idea... this is my own list of posts from my own profile.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Report Button.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	13242  

Yup, that's pretty much what I had in mind. Though I'd probably just put an actual link/button there and not make you go through a menu, and have it process without reloading the page so you can reel a bunch off in a row. If I go that route I'll definitely build it with the idea that people will want to do a bunch in quick succession.

I dislike the new format. I would really like an accessible search function. I would be nice to be able to do title searches.

I dislike the new format. I would really like an accessible search function. I would be nice to be able to do title searches.
You can? Magnifying glass in top left.

Also, on the old design was their a 'quick edit' option for posts?

Yeah, what Daniel said. The search is as accessible as it can be: it's in the header of every single page on the site. And it does title searches by default, too.

Also, on the old design was their a 'quick edit' option for posts?
Indeed there was; it stopped working, and I decided it could go down the to-do list a little since you can still edit and all. I'll definitely be taking another look at it. Probably just some small oversight early in the process.

I kind of prefer a lighter background... but this is a pretty swanky joint.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I guess it may just seem very dark because there's a lot more space between letting the background show, though. No biggy.

I'm a bit disappointed by the active users box. I liked the old position better and I can't see where users are currently reading by hovering the cursor... maybe it's just not working for me.

In general, I like the look. Classy. Oscar-ey.

I especially like the rep dings.

I'm a bit disappointed by the active users box. I liked the old position better and I can't see where users are currently reading by hovering the cursor... maybe it's just not working for me.
That's been mentioned a couple of times--the activity thing is definitely coming back, just have to figure out if I'm going to take another pass at integrating it with the new tooltip script or using a second one.

I might move it down below again, too. I'm just so-so on the home page as-is.

I especially like the rep dings.
You mean the thumb icon, or the red banners?

Speaking of rep, any plans on putting back into our post profiles or full profiles the amount users have?
No immediate plans. The old system seems like it was of pretty marginal use: people hung around for awhile, inevitably got the green bar, and then that was it.

That said, I know people do like seeing that kind of progress, and I do like the idea of having formal recognition of various milestones. But I'm thinking it can be a lot more fun and inventive than the old way. I've got a few ideas.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
No immediate plans. The old system seems like it was of pretty marginal use: people hung around for awhile, inevitably got the green bar, and then that was it.

That said, I know people do like seeing that kind of progress, and I do like the idea of having formal recognition of various milestones. But I'm thinking it can be a lot more fun and inventive than the old way. I've got a few ideas.
I wouldn't mind seeing this come back in some form. I always hovered over people's green bars to see their rep count.

Could be interesting to see more milestones for certain rep maybe? You know, just trying to pile on more work for you....

Suspect's Reviews

The one minor issue I have, thus far, is that you can no longer read through the thread you are responding to for reference after you start your "advanced" post. I don't know how many of you used this feature on the old site, but I rather relied on it.
Yes, I liked that too. You could look back while also checking whether to see if somebody made a new post.
I mentioned that to Yoda too and was interested in seeing who else used it, glad to see I was not the only one who thought it was useful
You got it. You'll find it back in its old spot.

Again, I want to add more, but have no multi-quote.
Yeah, we really need that multi-quote function back.
Alrighty: Multi-Quote should be available again now, too. You'll find the link under More Options; the link will be yellow on selected posts and the normal light gray otherwise.

This one took a fair amount of doing, and ended up with a rather roundabout solution. I think it should work perfectly fine, but let me know if you guys run into any problems with it