SciFi/Horror Hall Of Fame (actual)

Tools    

Slob, which do you like better directors cut or original for Alien (1979)?
I prefer the original cut. The added scenes remove some of the mystery, especially the scene with Dallas in the alien nest.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Alien was one of the first R rated films I remember seeing. Loved it then, love it now. Will probably watch a bluray copy soon.

Suspect's Reviews

Alien

It had been so long since I last saw this that I have no idea when it was. I did watch it several times in my teens, so I remembered it fairly well. I can remember when it first came out when I was 8 years old, and all the hoopla surrounding it. It was only one of two movies, with the other being Dawn of the Dead, that my parents made me wait to watch. I was so jealous that my older brother got to see it right away. Finally in the early 80's, while I was staying at a friend's house for the weekend, we managed to get a copy at the library. We watched it over and over again.

As I've said in the past, there are not a lot of movies I love that aren't set on modern earth. This movie and it's first sequel, and the original Star Wars trilogy are the most notable exceptions. Beyond that, it's slim pickings for me.

The first thing I noticed when watching this last night was how well it has aged. It sure didn't look like a 36 year old movie to me. The small cast of seven is terrific. It's got a nice group of actors and they all do a terrific job. Beyond that, it's just so well done in all aspects. It's also got perhaps the all time greatest tagline. If I'm going to nitpick, I think the musical score could've been more effective at times, and to me the last few minutes could be a tad better. As far as the franchise as a whole, I prefer Aliens over this, but that's one of my big favorites. I did not like part 3 when I saw it at the movies, and I have not seen part 4. It was awesome to see this again after so many years. It's a movie that deserves it's praise.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Nice write up, Cricket. I'm glad you liked it!

I have heard you say before that you don't usually care for movies that aren't set on modern Earth. Can I ask why you feel that way? I'm just curious as I'm the opposite of that. My least favorite films are set in modern day America.

I have heard you say before that you don't usually care for movies that aren't set on modern Earth. Can I ask why you feel that way? I'm just curious as I'm the opposite of that. My least favorite films are set in modern day America.
I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a realism issue. For instance I like Superhero movies, but the ones I don't like as much are Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor, which are mostly set on another planet. I like Sci-Fi on earth, but not in space. I really don't know.

OK, thanks

For me I guess I like escapism in movies, so that's why I like period pieces, old films made in the 30s-60s, westerns and sci fi. It's interesting how we all have some similarities in film preferences and differences too. But it's all good!

Long live the new flesh!
That's my next movie to watch. I decided to watch these in chronological order:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1978)
Alien (1979)
Videodrome (1983)
The Fly (1986)
The Hidden (1987)
Event Horizon (1997)
Cube (1997)
28 Days Later (2002)
The Host (2006)
Sunshine (2007)
Pandorum (2009)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Fly

I liked the story, but I wasn't so keen on the grosser aspects of the film. Perhaps I can't penetrate beyond society's sick gray fear of the flesh

The Hidden

I first saw this at the movies when I was 16, and then again several times since. It will never be as awesome as it was back then, as now the cheesy 80's style is noticeable, but there's not many movies that top it for pure fun. There's never a dull moment and the cast does a good job. Watch out for Danny Trejo in a quick appearance at the end as a prisoner. There's a lot of violence but it never gets nasty. Widely known as a cult classic and an underrated movie, but I think most people have seen it at this point. I love it!

+

Not me...Oh, is that a Ferrari they toasted, ouch!
I have to second Cricket on that - The Hidden is a great film. And I do think it's underrated as a lot of people, including some hard core Science Fiction fans, have never heard of it.
Haven't seen it in a long time, but viewed it more than a couple times years ago.
I don't recall that it relies heavily on special effects - I believe they're pretty minimal. Yet it's a solid Sci-Fi thriller that takes hold and doesn't let go.

Sunshine

The only thing I knew of this before was that it's on the Millennium list. I usually like Guap's live action favorites, so I had a good feeling going in. For me, it was too much Sci-Fi and no horror. I usually have a very hard time with Sci-Fi unless there is horror or a lot of action. Fortunately, there was plenty of tension and I really liked the story. The cast did a fine job and it's well made. It's a good movie, and I liked it, but it's not the kind of movie I usually would love.

Videodrome

Crazy stuff! This has got to be one of the weirdest sci fi films I've seen. Nothing is weirder than the combination of these two:

James Woods & Deborah Harry. They just extrude sleezy-creepy. Throw into that mix, the strangest of the strange, David Cronenberg and you get bizarre spelled with a capital SM. Not my kind of film by a mile...but I bet the dearly departed MovieGal would have loved this one.

I bet Cricket will love this too.

Hum, let's see Totoro is set in 1950's Japan, as are Ikiru and Tokyo Story. Mononoke is set in 15th century Japan. PMMM is set in a kind-of near future Japan. Spirited Away is set in contemporary Japan but 90% of it is in a fantasy land.

2001 is set in the early 21st century from a 1960's sci fi fanboy perspective. Gunbuster is set in the early 21st century from a 1980's mecha fanboy perspective. Stalker is set in Russia in the 1980's I think but has a really weird atmosphere. Nausicaa is set in a post-apocalyptic Earth over a 1,000 years from now.

Finished it. Sent in my list. Overall I would say this is the most consistently enjoyable set of movies for a HoF that I have watched: Sci fi horror is incredibly entertaining so it's hard for me to not enjoy it.