Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Let Him Go - I don't know if there's such a thing as Western Gothic but if there is this is surely a prime example of it. This is set in 1960's era Montana and stars Kevin Costner and Diane Lane as George and Margaret Blackledge. When the movie opens the couple has just lost their son in a riding accident and he's left a wife and young son. Their former daughter-in-law remarries local man Donnie Weboy who turns out to be an abusive stepfather to their grandson Jimmy. After they disappear in the middle of the night Margaret finds out they've gone to North Dakota to live with Donnie's family. She decides to follow them there and try to somehow get custody of her grandson which of course forces George to go along. The family turns out to be a creepy and aggressive bunch. Jeffrey Donovan plays Uncle Bill Weboy and British actress Lesley Manville is the matriarch Blanche Weboy. They live out on an isolated ranch and the first meeting with George and Margaret is steeped in implied violence.
WARNING: spoilers below
Anyone watching will be able to see that it won't end well for certain characters but the natural progression towards eventual bloodshed will still catch the viewer off guard.

I wish I could say that these were towering performances from Costner and Lane but since it's basically Lane's movie Costner isn't given much to do but play the part of sacrificial lamb. And I also wish I could say that Lane's Margaret is a sympathetic character but she isn't. I think part of that is that it's an underwritten role. She is the way she is and triggers events that eventually lead to the death of her husband and five others because ... why exactly? I know that she wants her grandson back but there's just not enough of a solid foundation provided to excuse her actions. And it doesn't help that her line readings and her affectations seem to belong in an entirely different movie. Maybe if they had provided some backstory it would have explained the character's glib delivery and clueless nature. Or maybe I completely missed the boat on this.

I enjoyed this film, rated it slightly higher than you did. Have never enjoyed Diane Lane onscreen as much as I did here.

YOU SHOULD HAVE LEFT
(2020, Koepp)
A film with the word "Left" in its title
-- recommended by VHUS_Podcast --

"People have always stayed in that house. Some don't leave. The right ones usually find the place. Or perhaps it's the other way around. The place finds them."

You Should Have Left follows Theo Conroy (Kevin Bacon), a retired banker that decides to take a break in a secluded rent-a-house in Wales. In for the ride are Theo's young wife, Susanna (Amanda Seyfried) and young daughter, Ella (Avery Essex). But as is expected, shortly after arriving, weird occurrences start happening around the house, lights turning on and off, shadows in the corners, doors in places where they shouldn't be.

As the film progresses, Theo finds himself more tormented by these incidents, while his relationship with Susanna starts to crumble because of the insecurity and paranoia, as well as the weight of past secrets. Despite what might seem like a tired premise, the setup is intriguing and there are some solid scares and eerie moments. Unfortunately, as is usual with this kind of films, it kinda crumbles as it falls victim to tropes and cliches while also trying to explain too much.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Lash of the Penitentes (1936) also known as The Penitentes Murder Case. I bought this on blu ray today. It only has 41 total votes on imdb. It's a strange film, mixing documentary type footage with a murder mystery in a low budget exploitation format. The film is flawed and could have benefited from better directing and writing. There are some cool moments and interesting elements here. Not a great film, but I kind of liked it, in its own odd way. My rating is a
. Anyone else here seen it?

Boldly going.
7.5/10.
I loved the atmosphere of it and the cinematography. Not sure I fully understood it. The movie reminded me a bit of Beowulf (2007), but with even more symbolism and mystery.

Lash of the Penitentes (1936) also known as The Penitentes Murder Case. I bought this on blu ray today. It only has 41 total votes on imdb. It's a strange film, mixing documentary type footage with a murder mystery in a low budget exploitation format. The film is flawed and could have benefited from better directing and writing. There are some cool moments and interesting elements here. Not a great film, but I kind of liked it, in its own odd way. My rating is a
. Anyone else here seen it?
I've not heard of that but just checked out the trailer and it looks like a hell of a thing.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/1998/dark_city_ver1.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26455017

Dark City - (1998) - Rewatch

First time I've seen this since I saw it at the cinema late last century. I remember really liking it, and the film being pretty well received. Takes place in a world created by the minds of alien beings - experimenting with us to see how we tick. Underneath all of that is a typical noir plot involving murders and memory. Loved seeing the underseen Richard O'Brien, but the film's lead, Rufus Sewell, is a little underwhelming. The only thing I'd seen Jennifer Connolly in to that stage was Labyrinth I think. Nice blending of genres.

6/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.impawards.com/1994/quiz_s...show_ver1.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3270379

Quiz Show - (1994) - Rewatch

Always loved this movie. Seeing Ralph Fiennes' real-life character Charles Van Doren's fall from grace always got to me. Nearly another Best Director Oscar for Robert Redford, and I'd rate this film as better than Ordinary People. John Turturro is a blast as Herb Stempel - is he redeemed by film's end? I mean, he takes pity on Van Doren, despite pushing his way into the Congressional Hearing hoping to see him fall. Considering the state of television (especially after the arrival of 'reality' TV) today, this film still has a lot to say.

7/10

King Kong (2005)

8.5/10

Recently picked up the 4K. Wife hadn't seen it and I hadn't seen it since it came out in 05. Holds up well. Especially well when put next to the steaming pile that was Kong: Skull Island. **** I'd rather watch 98 Godzilla on repeat for a week straight than attempt to sit through that again.

Victim of The Night
King Kong (2005)

8.5/10

Recently picked up the 4K. Wife hadn't seen it and I hadn't seen it since it came out in 05. Holds up well. Especially well when put next to the steaming pile that was Kong: Skull Island. **** I'd rather watch 98 Godzilla on repeat for a week straight than attempt to sit through that again.
That movie did suck but can any movie suck that much?

By http://www.impawards.com/1998/dark_city_ver1.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=26455017

Dark City - (1998) - Rewatch

First time I've seen this since I saw it at the cinema late last century. I remember really liking it, and the film being pretty well received. Takes place in a world created by the minds of alien beings - experimenting with us to see how we tick. Underneath all of that is a typical noir plot involving murders and memory. Loved seeing the underseen Richard O'Brien, but the film's lead, Rufus Sewell, is a little underwhelming. The only thing I'd seen Jennifer Connolly in to that stage was Labyrinth I think. Nice blending of genres.

6/10
I really, really like Dark City. There's a great commentary by Roger Ebert on the DVD I own, and that is also a delight. To me, this is one of the best integrations of sci-fi and noir.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Metropolitan - 7/10
Finally saw a good movie. This had a good feel, and I respect any guy who directs and writes their movie. And it's a newer movie, so if I liked it, chances are you will too. But now that I think about it, those threads John Connor started (yearly favorite movies of 1990, etc), I noticed no one listed the movies I liked, so I guess my tastes are a bit unorthodox.

I thought the lead actor, Edward Clements was good and likable, so I wanted to see if there were any available movies with him in it, but after playing a crew member in a movie the year after, he never did another movie again.

Hot take:

Dark City > The Matrix
I agree. Saw both back in the day and have been saying it since.

Hot take:

Dark City > The Matrix
I also prefer Dark City.

But I also feel as though, despite some really obvious similarities, one of them is a sci-fi/action/thriller and the other is a sci-fi/thriller/mystery.

I think that, in their own ways, they are different films with different aims, and I think that each succeeds at its own goals. (I just happen to find the goals and execution of Dark City more than those of The Matrix).

I enjoyed this film, rated it slightly higher than you did. Have never enjoyed Diane Lane onscreen as much as I did here.
There were quite a few reviews that mentioned Costner and Lane's performances so you're not alone. Like I said, I may have missed the boat.

Hot take:

Dark City > The Matrix

Yeah I would agree with this. The noir look, tone, and mystery all put it just ahead of The Matrix for me. I've also watched it many many more times. Both solid 8.5's from me though.

How about:

World on a Wire vs Dark City vs The Matrix?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

English Without Tears AKA Her Man Gilbey (Harold French, 1944)
6/10
Sin (Don Tjernagel, 2021)
5/10
Just My Luck (John Paddy Carstairs, 1957)
5.5/10
The Suicide Squad (James Gunn, 2021)
6.5/10

Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) shows off her moves.
The Naughty Ones (Vojislav 'Kokan' Rakonjac, 1967)
6-/10
Aftermath (Peter Winther, 2021)
5/10
The Swarm (Just Philippot, 2020)
5.5/10
Val (Leo Scott & Ting Poo, 2021)
- 7/10

Unable to talk properly due to throat cancer, Val Kilmer reminisces about his life and career.
Scheme Birds (Ellinor Hallin & Ellen Fiske, 2019)
5.5/10
The Legion of Missing Men (Hamilton MacFadden, 1937)
5/10
Found. (David Alford, 2020)
+ 6/10
Style Wars (Tony Silver, 1983)
6.5/10

Presentation of NYC's feelings pro and con about the current rise of graffiti and hip hop.
Meander (Mathieu Turi, 2020)
6/10
The Vampire Happening (Freddie Francis, 1971)
5/10
The Club (Pablo Larraín, 2015)
6/10
Vivo (Kirk DeMicco & Brandon Jeffords, 2021)
- 6.5/10

Cuban kinkajou Vivo (Lin-Manuel Miranda) comes to Miami to make several people's dreams come true.
Just Before Dawn (Jeff Lieberman, 1981)
5/10
Stray (Elizabeth Lo, 2020)
6.5/10
One and the Same (Felipe Cisneros, 2021)
+ 5/10
Woodstock 99: Peace Love and Rage (Garret Price, 2021)
+ 6.5/10

Doc that paints Woodstock 99 as an apocalyptic end of an era.