The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I liked Restrepo, the building of that was so great that i feel bad. I love the big indestructible barrier and the rest of that .

Restrepo = the first guy that lost his life

IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON was on my list. Somewhere.

Funny. That Edgar Mitchell astronaut, who walked on the moon, just died.

Funny. That Edgar Mitchell astronaut, who walked on the moon, just died.
That's hilarious.

You had it at #11.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Finally another one of mine! Restrepo was my number 4. Very moving doc about the lives of soldiers. I never got to deploy to the sandbox (one of my great regrets). This is just a peek in the hell our brave men and women face when in a combat zone.

Restrepo finally another doc that was on my list. I love that doc, totally powerfully and not easy to watch, but a very important film. That should have been #1 or at least in the top 10.

Edgar Mitchell would say this is not a coincidence. There are no accidents. We are all connected.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't vote for either, but In the Shadow of the Moon has some great imagery and the words of the astronauts describing the indescribable. What I wrote about Restrepo here a few years ago -
Restrepo (Tim Hetherington & Sebastian Junger, 2010)
+

This documentary about the war in Afghanistan begins as one of the most-harrowing-and-intense flicks I've seen in years. American soldiers are in the Korengal Valley and they basically cannot cough or raise their head without being shot at by the enemy. Yet, these are supposedly our most-strategic soldiers in Afghanistan trying to fight the war on terror. These opening scenes in the film make Vietnam look like a summer vacation picnic compared to Afghanistan. Many of the soldiers shown are obviously teenagers and that's another parallel with Vietnam even though we no longer have a draft, but it just seems like some of this country's young men are expected to sacrifice themselves for causes. In this case, I'm not really sure what the cause is, and I also am not sure if anyone in the governmentt can answer that question either. Perhaps now that Bin Laden is gone, we don't have to worry about THIS specific ordeal, but based on reality, I'd say that's not really true.

The film is called Restrepo because one of the platoon's most-beloved members was "Doc Restrepo" who was killed early on and the rest of the men try to honor him by fortifying their outpost and naming it after him. We come to learn quite a bit about these men, but as it goes along, the tension also tends to dwindle. It's always a good film and worth following but even when they talk about a later operation which scared the hell out of everyone, it doesn't quite have the impact as the opening scenes. Even so, I recommend this film, which Fiscal chose for me. I'll probably rewatch it before I send it back and update any comments if appropriate.
I've seen 52/52.

Restrepo finally another doc that was on my list. I love that doc, totally powerfully and not easy to watch, but a very important film. That should have been #1 or at least in the top 10.
Was Restrepo your #1 then?

I've seen Restrepo. It's OK, but it is only what it is. I've seen a number of documentaries like that about British and American soldiers in Afghanistan/Iraq.

I doubt it'll be a surprise to anyone who's taken a look at my 100, but In The Shadow Of The Moon was my #1 choice. I think it's awesome in the truest sense of the word. The images alone can bring tears to my eyes as can the overwhelming sense and realisation of what's being achieved and the power and energy necessary for it to be done. The close up of the rocket at and during the first few seconds of lift-off are beyond any meaningful description I could give them.

The first Alex Gibney and of course i had it, was my #4. My favourite film from last year and one of my favourites of the decade. So glad it made it and top 50 somehow, i wasn't sure because it is so new didn't think enough would have seen it.

For some reason i thought The Last Waltz was ineligible, would have made my top 10 maybe even 5. Best concert doc i have seen easily.

Seen - 23/54
My list - 5/25

04.Going Clear
12.The Fog of War
13.Spellbound
17.My Best Fiend
20.Titicut Follies

I had Going Clear on my list. And from earlier Pumping Iron. There's a lot of these documentaries I haven't seen, and I suspect a few might have made my list.

My List:

5. For All Mankind (#66)
7. Pumping Iron (#53)
13. Dark Days (#79)
15. The Times of Harvey Milk (#85)
20. Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief (#48)
21. Kooyansqatsi (#77)
25. Jupiter’s Wife (1 pointer)