Did Anyone See BRAVO'S 100 Funniest Movies? Is Anyone Pi**ed Off?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I did! But only when a piece of it was cut into Killing Zoe...

Originally Posted by The Roadrunner
Comedy is somthing that changes over time. That is why those older movies you mention were neglected. The humor in those films was funny in the time period in which it was released. However the type of comedy in those old movies have been reproduced and reused unto the point to where its gone stale, and "yesterdays news" and its just quite simply no longer funny. Just like those old movies like 1922's Nosferatu. It was a great movie but to view it today it sucks. Because the things it has in it that were new ideals at the time, now just seem cheap, cheasy, and cliche'. "What a beautiful neck she has" I mean come on. Some of those things in that movie have been so played out like crosses and holy water that the vampire movies of today make their vampires immune to those "Old wives tales". However at the time, such things were not such widespread. Also, you cant really do a "Funniest movies of all time." You'd have to break it down into smaller catagorys, such as "Funniest adult humor movies of all time", "Funnniest quirky humor movies of all time" to truley please the broader spectrum. That being said, why the hell didnt "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", and "Kingpin" make the list? Dumb and Dumber...I dont think i've ever laughed so hard at anything as I did in the scene where the toilet dont flush. You could just imagine the embarassment. And Monty Python and the Holy Grail definatly belongs on there. The bridge troll part still causes me to spew soda.
Oh man, sorry. But I really feel the need to rip this one up. Great comedies deal with timeless themes, a movie like Kind Hearts and Coronets stars the archetypal likeable sociopath. A relentless social climber with a murderous streak and the wit and candor to win the audience over. Mix that in with a cast of eccentrics, the age old theme of class and the talents of Alec Guinness and you have a movie that can make even non-buffs cripple themselves with laughter even four decades later. Do you believe that "Dumb and Dumber" or "Meet the Fockers" will be able to do that in 2040? Slapstick and Gross-out comedy has been done a thousand times before and will be done a thousand times more, any movie that relies so heavily on either won't survive in your memory for long.

As to your "yesterday's news" point. There are things that are inimitable, once in a long time all the parts will create something much greater than the whole. A movie may try and capture the essence of Dr. Strangelove or Nosferatu, but it will be a pale imitation. Nosferatu is much more than the dialogue or the acting or the sets, it's the birth of a genre. Not to mention that the first use of something isn't considered a cliche. Just imagine the impact it must've had to have fallen into such common use. How many other movies have made homage to Ms. Doubtfire or Kevin Smith's latest ego-epic?

OK, Premiere Magazine has done their own "The 50 Greatest Comedies" list. They don't fall into the trap of ranking them, they list them chronologically. Their list actually considers the "of all time" criteria...

Safety Last (1923)
The Gold Rush (1925)
The General (1927)
Duck Soup (1933)
It Happened One Night (1934)
A Night at the Opera (1935)
My Man Godfrey (1936)
The Awful Truth (1937)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
His Girl Friday (1940)
A Chump at Oxford (1940)
The Bank Dick (1940)
To Be or Not To Be (1942)
Road to Morocco (1942)
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944)
The Ladykillers (1955)
Big Deal on Madonna Street (1958)
Some Like it Hot (1959)
The Apartment (1960)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
A Shot in the Dark (1964)
The Producers (1968)
M*A*S*H (1970)
Sleeper (1973)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
The Sunshine Boys (1975)
Annie Hall (1977)
National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)
Heaven Can Wait (1978)
The In-Laws (1979)
The Jerk (1979)
Airplane! (1980)
Caddyshack (1980)
Private Benjamin (1980)
My Favorite Year (1982)
Trading Places (1983)
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
Groundhog Day (1993)
Austin Powers: INternational Man of Mystery (1997)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
There's Something About Mary (1998)
Rushmore (1998)
Best in Show (2000)
Zoolander (2001)
Wedding Crashers (2005)
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

You can still argue over this one or that one and a few that are missing, but on balance it is lightyears ahead of the ridiculous Bravo list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

..... there's so many that I haven't seen..... *jumps into imaginary volcano*