Did Anyone See BRAVO'S 100 Funniest Movies? Is Anyone Pi**ed Off?

Tools    

I just got through watching Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies and I must say I am quite frustrated with some of the rankings. First of all, the biggest travesty in my eyes...Shrek ranks six above Blazing Saddles?! How can that be? Not to mention Meet the Fockers at 25 while films like Annie Hall take a back seat. Plus there were so many films that were negated:

Shaun of the Dead
Super Troopers
Billy Madison
Bad Santa
Beavis and Butthead do America
Back to the Future
Friday
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Mallrats
...more Jim Carrey films!!!

I could go on for days. What happened here? Does anyone else think there were some injustices on that list?

100. Anchorman
99. The Birdcage
98. School of Rock
97. Happy Gilmore
96. Four Weddings and a Funeral
95. Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
94. Waiting for Guffman
93. The Aristocrats
92. Father of the Bride
91. Revenge of the Nerds
90. Clueless
89. Slapshot
88. Team America: World Police
87. The Kentucky Fried Movie
86. Zoolander
85. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
84. Silver Streak
83. Sister Act
82. Tootsie
81. Half Baked
80. Lost in America
79. Three Amigos
78. Bananas
77. Flirting With Disaster
76. Ghostbusters
75. Dumb and Dumber
74. Trading Places
73. City Slickers
72. Moonstruck
71. Roxanne
70. Nutty Professor
69. The Blues Brothers
68. Broadcast News
67. Kingpin
66. Dazed and Confused
65. Office Space
64. This is Spinal Tap
63. Manhattan
62. The Pink Panther
61. Election (or, as the announcer pronounces it: “Ah-lection”)
60. When Harry Met Sally…
59. Police Academy Series
58. Private Benjamin
57. Swingers
56. Young Frankenstein
55. Bull Durham
54. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
53. Dr. Strangelove
52. Meet the Parents
51. National Lampoon's Vacation
50. The Princess Bride
49. American Pie
48. American Graffiti
47. 9 to 5
46. The Incredibles
45. Raising Arizona
44. Sixteen Candles
43. What About Bob?
42. Harold and Maude
41. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
40. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
39. Mrs. Doubtfire
38. Best in Show
37. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
36. Good Morning, Vietnam
35. Beetlejuice
34. Rushmore
33. Clerks
32. Groundhog Day
31. The Big Lebowski
30. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
29. Legally Blond
28. Annie Hall
27. A Fish Called Wanda
26. Wayne’s World
25. Meet the Fockers
24. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
23. Big
22. Beverly Hills Cop
21. Shampoo
20. The Jerk
19. Wedding Crashers
18. Stripes
17. M*A*S*H
16. Old School
15. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
14. Napoleon Dynamite
13. Naked Gun (series)
12. The Producers
11. Pee Wee’s Big Adventure
10. Arthur
9. Blazing Saddles
8. The Wedding Singer
7. Ace Ventura, Pet Detective
6. Airplane
5. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
4. There’s Something About Mary
3. Shrek
2. Caddyshack
1. Animal House

what a god awful list...I could list 100 reasons why this is HORRIBLE list

Horrorphiliac

Yes, I sat through most of it, and no I wasn't shocked to see sooooooo much crap from the past fifteen years on there. I don't know why they didn't just call it "Funniest Movies of the Past Thirty-Five Years" instead of "Ever", as that's where the overwhelming bulk of their picks came from. I was glad they at least gave mention to a few like Strangelove, Lost in America, Harold & Maude and Young Frankenstein, but that they all finished below Mrs. Doubtfire, Legally Blonde, The Wedding Singer and Meet the Fockers tells you how ludicrous an exercise it was.

Eh, it's just a stupid list for morons, ignore it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

So many good movies, so little time.
How about leaving out Some Like it Hot which was #1 at AFI.

AFI 100 Laughs

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by Captain Driftwood
I could go on for days. What happened here? Does anyone else think there were some injustices on that list?
But I do appreciate the humor in your thinking the list sucks because they didn't leave room for true classics like Billy Madison and Super Troopers because they went with garbage like Happy Gilmore and Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle instead (huh?). Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Arsenic & Old Lace, To Be or Not to Be, Singin' in the Rain, the works of Preston Sturges, Billy Wilder, The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, The Ealing Studios...I mean they're all "OK", I guess, but they've got nothing on Sister Act, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. And they've certainly got nothing on Mallrats and The Cable Guy. Not in an "all-time" sense, fo' sho'.

Since the administrators here seem to have some trouble with honest humor, I'll just point out that Bravo's selections have to be understood in the context of their target audience, which is young, stupid and, ah, heterosexually challenged.

Originally Posted by Purandara88
Since the administrators here seem to have some trouble with honest humor, I'll just point out that Bravo's selections have to be understood in the context of their target audience, which is young, stupid and, ah, heterosexually challenged.
Hurling around vulgarities (some of them borderline homophobic and all of them juvenile) is not "humor." Whether you realize it or not, my deleting your post is saving you from a fair amount of ridicule from the rest of the community, not to mention what would surely be hoards of negative post ratings.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Here are some things I don't agree with.

100. Anchorman
99. The Birdcage
98. School of Rock
97. Happy Gilmore
96. Four Weddings and a Funeral
95. Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
94. Waiting for Guffman
93. The Aristocrats
92. Father of the Bride
91. Revenge of the Nerds
90. Clueless
89. Slapshot
88. Team America: World Police
87. The Kentucky Fried Movie
86. Zoolander
85. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
84. Silver Streak
83. Sister Act
82. Tootsie
81. Half Baked
80. Lost in America
79. Three Amigos
78. Bananas
77. Flirting With Disaster
76. Ghostbusters
75. Dumb and Dumber
74. Trading Places
73. City Slickers
72. Moonstruck
71. Roxanne
70. Nutty Professor
69. The Blues Brothers
68. Broadcast News
67. Kingpin
66. Dazed and Confused
65. Office Space
64. This is Spinal Tap
63. Manhattan
62. The Pink Panther
61. Election (or, as the announcer pronounces it: “Ah-lection”)
60. When Harry Met Sally…
59. Police Academy Series
58. Private Benjamin
57. Swingers
56. Young Frankenstein
55. Bull Durham
54. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
53. Dr. Strangelove
52. Meet the Parents
51. National Lampoon's Vacation
50. The Princess Bride
49. American Pie
48. American Graffiti
47. 9 to 5
46. The Incredibles
45. Raising Arizona
44. Sixteen Candles
43. What About Bob?
42. Harold and Maude
41. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
40. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
39. Mrs. Doubtfire
38. Best in Show
37. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
36. Good Morning, Vietnam
35. Beetlejuice
34. Rushmore
33. Clerks
32. Groundhog Day
31. The Big Lebowski
30. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
29. Legally Blond
28. Annie Hall
27. A Fish Called Wanda
26. Wayne’s World
25. Meet the Fockers
24. Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
23. Big
22. Beverly Hills Cop
21. Shampoo
20. The Jerk
19. Wedding Crashers
18. Stripes
17. M*A*S*H
16. Old School
15. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
14. Napoleon Dynamite
13. Naked Gun (series)
12. The Producers
11. Pee Wee’s Big Adventure
10. Arthur
9. Blazing Saddles
8. The Wedding Singer
7. Ace Ventura, Pet Detective
6. Airplane
5. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
4. There’s Something About Mary
3. Shrek
2. Caddyshack
1. Animal House

Suspect's Reviews

Homophobia? I have no fear of homosexuals, I just find them to be, as a group, insipid weaklings with an exaggerated sense of their own cultural consciousness.

Bravo exists primarily to serve the 18-35 male homosexual demographic, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that their "Top 100 Comedies" is littered with mediocrities that are included for, pro-gay themes, "be yourself" themes that resonate in the gay community or for satirizing traditional ideals of masculinity.

Homophobia? I have no fear of homosexuals, I just find them to be, as a group, insipid weaklings with an exaggerated sense of their own cultural consciousness.
Okay, I'll substitute "homophobia" for "thinly veiled bigotry," which, for better or worse, is what the word has come to mean through common usage, anyway.

Bravo exists primarily to serve the 18-35 male homosexual demographic, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that their "Top 100 Comedies" is littered with mediocrities that are included for, pro-gay themes, "be yourself" themes that resonate in the gay community or for satirizing traditional ideals of masculinity.
And this makes your comments less childish and offensive...how? You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I'm defending this list. I'm not; it's terrible. Just not as terrible as your response, which reeked of high-school level toilet humor.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Okay, I'll substitute "homophobia" for "thinly veiled bigotry," which, for better or worse, is what the word has come to mean through common usage, anyway.
If "bigotry" these days means calling a spade a spade, then I'll gladly embrace the title and wear it with pride.

And this makes your comments less childish and offensive...how? You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I'm defending this list. I'm not; it's terrible. Just not as terrible as your response, which reeked of high-school level toilet humor.
Not aimed at you pal (which is why it was seperated from the comment dealing with the issues you raised in the first place).

If "bigotry" these days means calling a spade a spade, then I'll gladly embrace the title and wear it with pride.
Yes, most bigots do. Almost none of them think they're bigots. They always have some convoluted rationalization.

The thing is, there are plenty of ways to express your disapproval of this list without discussing homosexuality at all. Indeed, it's kind of a stretch. Moreover, you can discuss homosexuality in this context without hurling around immature obscenities and anti-homosexual stereotypes. You went out of your way in both instances to do so. That's not indicative of someone who's simply airing an unbiased (but incidentally controversial) opinion.

Not aimed at you pal (which is why it was seperated from the comment dealing with the issues you raised in the first place).
Not sure who it was aimed at, then, because you were still talking about homosexuality (and so far, no one else is). The fact that you broke your post up into two seperate paragraphs doesn't really imply otherwise.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing

Once again, you know nothing of the subject on which you have launched silly posts. There isn't a homo alive who'd claim to think Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is in the LEAST bit funny, or embrace a list that doesn't include The Birdcage as outstanding comedy. "99" my left one.

It isn't possible to honestly discuss any list that Bravo conjures without first dealing with the elephant in the room (which is that Bravo exists to serve a demographic that is largely young, male, and gay, and their lists are naturally going to reflect that demographic bias). If Free Republic, The National Review or the Fox News Channel had released a similarly drivellous list, and everyone was carefully avoiding discussing the obvious ideological axes any of those organizations have to grind, I'd have interjected something similarly "vulgar" to move the discussion into terrain that at least touches on reality.

Or, to put it another way, I've made a thread that was headed for "OMG! A TV station put out a stupid list!" territory and turned it into something at least vaguely interesting to some people.

There isn't a homo alive who'd claim to think Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is in the LEAST bit funny, or embrace a list that doesn't include The Birdcage as outstanding comedy. "99" my left one.
The thinking with the inclusion Ace Ventura is clearly ideological: not only does it satirize "masculinity" as traditionally constructed, it adopts the "be true to yourself" motif that is at the heart of gay cultural self-consciousness.

I suspect that the thinking behind the relatively poor showing by The Birdcage went something like this:

"Better not rank that one too high, if we do, everyone will know it's just because we're the gay channel."

If i were to compose a list- and maybe i will someday- im sure it would be pretty evenly spaced over the years. It seems to me the majority of cinephiles out there either focus on the last 25 or so years, or the entire period before that (1895-1975ish). My list, on the other hand, would have Chaplin's City Lights (1939?) in the top five with a 'recent' Bill Murray picture like Ghostbusters or Stripes, leaving room for absolutley pointless humor like Mallrats and more poignant satires or parodies like Blazing Saddles or, my personal favorite comedy, Space Balls. I think its kind of sad when people limit themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I love the works of Chaplin, The Marx Brothers, and other great comedic actors of the hayday of comedy. And there work should have certainly been recognized. I was in a hurry this morning when I posted this thread and recent films simply come to mind quicker. I should have thought it through more. I don't want anyone to think I am trying to pi** on the classics. I am open to any and all films of yesteryear and today. If I ever limited myself, I would be missing out on so much and would lose all the great experience of being a movie buff. As an aspiring screenwriter/director, I look to great films both past and present in planning my creative future. I just wanted to clear all that up in case anyone thought I was an idiot.

Originally Posted by Captain Driftwood
I just wanted to clear all that up in case anyone thought I was an idiot.
Sometimes, you're marked for life, and there simply isnt a whole heck of a lot you can do about it.

P.S.- Laurel and Hardy flicks are another example of laugh-a-minute comedy that i simply adore. Not narrative giants, by any means, but then again, neither are 75% of the movies on Bravo's list.

Originally Posted by Zeiken
Sometimes, you're marked for life, and there simply isnt a whole heck of a lot you can do about it.

P.S.- Laurel and Hardy flicks are another example of laugh-a-minute comedy that i simply adore. Not narrative giants, by any means, but then again, neither are 75% of the movies on Bravo's list.
So I am still getting used to the way things work around here, are you kidding, or do you really think I am a moron, cause that would be kind of harsh.