Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Possessed (1947)

A very enjoyable, if uneven, example of 1940s noir and psychological drama. Much of the dreamy quality of the film is enhanced by the black and white shading, the settings, and Franz Waxman’s evocative score.

Joan Crawford stars in the complex role of a woman obsessed with a lover (Van Heflin) who is indifferent, and grows to resent her clinging. At the film’s opening we are presented with Crawford wandering downtown Los Angeles in a semi-catatonic state, who ends up in a psychiatric emergency hospital where she gradually relates how she deteriorated into her mental condition.

Raymond Massey plays her wealthy domestic employer whose wife commits suicide, and his daughter (Geraldine Brooks) falls for the same caddish man who has jilted Crawford. Massey and Crawford are brought together, and steadfastly face the future after a particularly serious event by Crawford.

The direction by Curtis Bernhardt and the screenplay itself are a little mixed, and some of the plot and emotional transitions might have been better handled. Still, this is a fascinating watch, and a prime example of Crawford’s breadth as an actress.

Doc’s rating: 6/10

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

^ Wow, didn't know Ride the Lightning was so old. XD

All cliches and no fun makes the viewer a dull boy

Atrocity!
This film is pure garbage from start to finish!

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Replace (Norbert Keil, 2019)

A young woman (Rebecca Forsythe) discovers she's afflicted with a rare skin condition that causes her to age rapidly. Despite getting help from local dermatologist Dr. Crober (Barbara Crampton), she discovers that the only way she can stay beautiful is by killing young women and grafting their skin onto hers, which regenerates the cells. Yes, it is very disturbing at times but visually striking with a bit of a twist in the third act.

Marianne & Leonard: Words Of Love (Nick Broomfield, 2019)

Ok when on point but wanders off a little too much into being just a doc about the man himself

It was in the DVD I watched. I did a double-take when I heard it.
Right . I haven't seen it on UK television for years so I don't know how they're presenting it now – certainly it should never be changed as it reveals the peculiarities of the era. One example I remember is "[n-word] brown" being used to describe the colour of an item of clothing.

Replace (Norbert Keil, 2019)

A young woman (Rebecca Forsythe) discovers she's afflicted with a rare skin condition that causes her to age rapidly. Despite getting help from local dermatologist Dr. Crober (Barbara Crampton), she discovers that the only way she can stay beautiful is by killing young women and grafting their skin onto hers, which regenerates the cells. Yes, it is very disturbing at times but visually striking with a bit of a twist in the third act.
This sounds very interesting.

⬆️ It actually does. (Gruesome though.) Will see if Netflix has it.

Huge Bob Dylan fan. Half of this movie/documentary was good (all the scenes with Dylan). Half was bad (Allen Ginsberg (ugh) & loads of other filler.) Scariest thing was seeing Dylan drive the tour bus.

The trick is not minding
3 movies this past weekend.
Cross creek 2 stars
The Other Side of Sunday 2 stars
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 3 1/2
Great performances from Liz Taylor (my god she is beautiful), Newman and Burl Ives. I understand they toned it down considerably from the play version, but it still holds up quite well.

A Page of Madness (1926)

+

I think this was my first silent Asian film and just being transported into that world was a nice change of pace. I had to pause it for a minute to read up because I wasn't sure what was going on. It's kind of creepy and psychedelic and the score with the version I watched was excellent. I'm not in love with the movie overall but it was a very good viewing experience.

LATE NIGHT
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Semper Fi (Henry-Alex Rubin, 2019)

I was losing hope in both Jai Courtney and Nat Wolff but this film has brought redemption for both actors. Courtney plays a Marine who is also a by the book police officer who contends with his moral compass when his younger half-brother, played by Wolff, is imprisoned for the accidental death of his friend in a bar fight and on top of that, while imprisoned, he faces abuse from the guards on a daily basis. There is a great subplot involving Finn Wittrock's struggle with both his battle wounds and his relationship with an ex-girlfriend. The writers (Rubin and Sean Mullin) did their research and brings a sense of authenticity to the film.