Television Tab

Tools    

I'd say the jury is still out HK - but it looks more interesting than B & S, for certain.

Is that because you don't like B&S? Personally, I really like B&S. It's like a C21st Thirtysomething, which is all good for me. The new season begand over here about a month or so ago. So-so atm, but now the French bloke seems to have gone, it might pick up a bit.

Corner Gas

Season 6 : Episode 98 - 'Shirt Disturber' - Brent and Hank are on the outs after a trip to see their favourite comic book writer goes awry. Lacey's generous donations to the thrift store make the perfect gifts for Karen to celebrate her recent promotion. Oscar and Emma's new home alarm system causes more emergencies than Davis bargained for.

Season 6 : Episode 101 - 'TV Free Dog River' - Emma keeps a watchful eye on the citizens of Dog River to ensure the town reigns supreme over Wullerton in "Turn Off Your TV Week". Lacey and Oscar find a profitable way to break the rules and Karen and Davis hit the radio airwaves to help everyone cope. Brent finds a creative way to get through a week of no TV with the help of Hank and Wanda.

Series Finale : 'You've Been Great, Goodnight' - Brent's mysterious disappearances every Wednesday night have the whole town talking. When it is discovered he has been pursuing a lifelong dream that threatens to take him out of Dog River, everyone is forced to cope with the news.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I picked up the original Edge of Darkness on DVD the other day and am half way through it.

In its own grim, 80s, Cold War paranoia way, the thing is still magnificent. A landmark TV series and one that has aged a lot better than my other favourite TV drama from my teenage years, Bleasdale's GBH.

Even as a 6 part thriller it's tight as a drum.

So, we just finished up season 1 of The Wire last week and are now on to season2. Not bad. About what I would expect from an HBO production. Great story. Great characters.

I can't say it enough to those of you over in the UK who haven't seen The Shield yet. You must if you're a fan of this show. I won't say which I like better at this point because I still have 3 and a half seasons to go here but so far so good.

I can't seem to stop watching Midsomer Murders it's this great english tv series that takes place in the english country side it's a bunch of connect villages and towns and the murders that take place in and around them and the a police detective that's brought into solve them named Tom Barnaby. An extremely well crafted series with a great touch for macabre sensiblities, dry wit and charming humour.

The two previous posts reminded me of that excellent recent internet hoax, the full story of which is here.

"The Mayor of Baltimore, Sheila Dixon, supposedly went online to announce that The Wire was about as accurate a portrayal of life in her city as the long-running ITV drama Midsomer Murders is of life in the Home Counties.

It now turns out that the statement came not from Mayor Dixon at all - but from Labour activist and blogger Alex Hilton, masquerading as the mayor having set up a Twitter account in the name 'Baltimore Mayor' and released a viral advert on YouTube supposedly from Baltimore's tourist board."

Incidentally, I have the dubious honour of having been stared at by John Nettles in much the same way as he's doing in the previous post's first picture.

I fell asleep once at the RSC during Nettle's performance in Much Ado About Nothing and awoke to the revered ex-Bergerac thesp having fixed me with a withering, steely glare.

I blame the drink...

great article thanks for the read my favourite of part was

"It told viewers that in 64 episodes of The Wire there had been 82 murders while in the same number of episodes of Midsomer Murders there had been 181 murders, nine suicides and 14 accidental deaths. The clip finished with the slogan: "Baltimore - MUCH safer than Midsomer."

that cracked me up.

The story made the national news over here, but sadly as a hoax and not 'the mayor of Baltimore said today...'.

I like Midsomer Murders too - It's perfect undemanding entertainment which doesn't take itself seriously, unlike the previous ITV primetime detective drama series, A Touch of Frost. It's no Inspector Morse (which, again, was a bit po-faced but wonderfully written and directed) but very few British shows are.

Nettles is great too - he's got just the right amount of pomposity and little ironic glances.

So, we just finished up season 1 of The Wire last week and are now on to season2. Not bad. About what I would expect from an HBO production. Great story. Great characters.

I can't say it enough to those of you over in the UK who haven't seen The Shield yet. You must if you're a fan of this show. I won't say which I like better at this point because I still have 3 and a half seasons to go here but so far so good.
The Wire's great. Season 4 is my favourite. I've been recommended The Shield by a friend too. Must check it out. Sopranos remains my favourite HBO series!

The story made the national news over here, but sadly as a hoax and not 'the mayor of Baltimore said today...'.

I like Midsomer Murders too - It's perfect undemanding entertainment which doesn't take itself seriously, unlike the previous ITV primetime detective drama series, A Touch of Frost. It's no Inspector Morse (which, again, was a bit po-faced but wonderfully written and directed) but very few British shows are.

Nettles is great too - he's got just the right amount of pomposity and little ironic glances.
We've been recording and rewatching some of the old Morses on one of those obscure tv channels. Lovely to see John Thaw again. Made me cry at Christmas seeing him in Goodnight Mister Tom. Great actor.

The Wire's great. Season 4 is my favourite. I've been recommended The Shield by a friend too. Must check it out. Sopranos remains my favourite HBO series!
It's a bit more mainstream than The Wire and I've never thought it had the same spark the best HBO stuff has. That being said, I rented and watched every season in quick succession and would do so again.

Chris - John Thaw was such a wonderful, understated actor who made every character thrown at him totally believable. I can't see anyone else as Morse - did you catch the awful Lewis spin-off? - and, like you, I've got a fair few episodes on my hard drive recorded off the TV.

Just been catching up on Fringe (3 episodes), Mad Men (3 episodes) and Neighbours. Going to start on Caprica next, which I also have 3 or 4 episodes to watch before I catch up.

La-la-la-la-la...
oh yeah, baby! I have special Daria ringtones, usually reserved for people that really grate on my nerves. I finally grew up enough to get rid of the last one sometime last year...