Matt72582's Top 50 of All-Time

→ in
Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
#47 Meet John Doe
Another one of those great Capra films. Very unique start to a film, and the early message or grassroots campaign is to be a good neighbor, simple decent morals. It's too bad this was the last Riskin collaboration with Capra, as Riskin is such a great writer. And with all the dilemmas facing Capra's films, we do get a sense of hope.

Gary Cooper is great like he is in every movie; I believe in his role, even when he blows up buildings! (not in this movie)

Trouble with a capital "T"
So far so good! I really liked Touch of Evil, it's too bad it wasn't nominated for the Noir Hof. I haven't loved every Orson film I've seen but TOE is a great!

Totally agree with what you said about Capra. Meet John Doe, is one his greats. I like Cooper in it as the every day man who has to face some tough decisions do to fate. And anything Barbara Stanwyck is in, I love.

I might have mentioned this before but an excellent Cooper/Stanwyck film is Ball of Fire (1941) directed by the great Howard Hawks.

#46 Chinatown

Great performances, especially by Jack. I'm usually not a fan of detective films, but this isn't a typical one. Has a lot of psychology as well. You also had one of the best writers, Robert Towne, who doesn't get the credit he deserves, because many times he's not credited. Anytime someone is stumped, they called Bob.

I also think this is a film you have to watch just twice, because once you know, it's good to go back to review it knowing what you know. You understand some of the deception

I was really close to buying Chinatown yesterday, I'm hoping I can get around to seeing it soon though.

I don't think there are enough times to watch Chinatown. OK, there probably is, but it's brilliant. I adore it I think it's probably the best work of everyone involved.

WARNING: "Chinatown" spoilers below
When you hear, "She's my sister and my daughter" - you gotta watch it again, and then assess Dunaway's character.. It's a big twist!
What I meant was, you can't just watch it once

Trouble with a capital "T"
I just requested Chinatown from my library. I've been wanting to watch it for a long time. Does anybody think Chinatown influenced Blade Runner in the story or characters?

#45 Dog Day Afternoon

It's not just a bank robbery, and it's just not based on a true story, but it has a very anti-establishment theme. It's a movie that has a platform to bring up many issues.

Al Pacino is magnificent, John Cazale is the greatest supporting actor I've ever seen. This movie has a lot of comedy, some great lines in general. This is one of those movies I wanted the bank robbers to get away.

As Bill Burr said, "You know they aren't getting the jet!"

The film keeps you engaged, and the people in the bank have their own unique personalities. Even the crowd that builds up outside the bank is rooting for the bank robbers. I also love that Sonny (Pacino) pays for the pizza, and does have empathy for the people who are being held up.

Shows how the media is a big circus, how even the police are just as beffudled as the robbers, and how you can't really believe anyone. You also see camaraderie, and the idea of not selling out your partner to save your own back side when a deal is offered. Sonny is pretty sharp, quick-witted, and funny, but we soon see he has a wife and kid, and the reason he is doing this, which leads some in the audience to root against Sonny.

A great thriller with a lot of other great stuff inside.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Love your last two choices Matt. Chinatown and Dog Day are big time favorites of mine.

I didn't love Dog Day Afternoon the last time I saw it; I must've been having a bad day.

The last time I saw Chinatown, it was still a masterpiece.

Master of My Domain
Love the last two picks, Matt. Chinatown is a great noir and Dog Day Afternoon is an entertaining thriller from my current favorite director.

I didn't love Dog Day Afternoon the last time I saw it; I must've been having a bad day.
You must've watched it on a dog day.

#44 A Streetcar Named Desire

This film has my favorite line in a movie, "I've always depended on the kindness of strangers" - and this is sort of my barometer for life. Great directing, script, and of course acting. Brando's performance is so great, as well as the supporting cast.

This movie has so much deception it feels like the viewer is a detective, trying to find out each person's drives and ambitions, their past and how the future lies for them. You have the new sister in town with an enigmatic relationship with her brother-in-law, and Stella, who tries to keep the peace, but even she has her limits. Stanley is very suspicious of Blanche, and what happened to the estate that he feels also belongs to him because of Louisiana's Napoleonic Code, which he points out plenty of times. He also sees this doesn't jive with all the fancy clothes, makeup, and perfumes she wears, and feels Blanche is leading Mitch on, who is Stanley's best friend.

As with a lot of films, even a description of what happens could be a spoiler. If you haven't watched this, it's worth it.