The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The next list will be documentaries, right?
That has been said but I don't think anyone has stepped up to host and give dates. Anyone? Bueller....Bueller?

I had 5 films miss out from my list.

1. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
3. Rosemary’s Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968)
4. Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa, 1961)
5. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
6. The One-Armed Swordsman (Cheh Chang, 1967) - I knew I would be the only one voting for this, but I still had to stay true and put it at #6. It's my favorite kung fu film and it is just so cinematic. I love it.
7. Once Upon a Time in the West Sergio Leone, 1968)
8. Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967)
9. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock 1960)
10. The Virgin Spring (Ingmar Bergman, 1960)
11. For a Few Dollars More (Sergio Leone, 1965)
12. Z (Costa-Gavras, 1969)
13. The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)
14. The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah, 1969)
15. The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)
16. Lolita (Stanley Kubrick, 1962)
17. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)
18. A Fistful of Dollars (Sergio Leone, 1964)
19. Sanjuro (Akira Kurosawa, 1962) - Surprised this had so few points. I think the first half is really slow, but the second half is absolutely brilliant. The final half hour or so I consider to be some of the finest in film history.
20. Planet of the Apes (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968)
21. Django (Sergio Corbucci, 1966) - Classic spaghetti western.
22. Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964)
23. Ivan’s Childhood (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1962) - This is the only Tarkovsky film I've really enjoyed.
24. To Kill A Mockingbird (Robert Mulligan, 1962)
25. Death Rides a Horse (Giulio Petroni, 1966) - Another classic spaghetti.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
6. The One-Armed Swordsman (Cheh Chang, 1967) - I knew I would be the only one voting for this, but I still had to stay true and put it at #6. It's my favorite kung fu film and it is just so cinematic. I love it.
It's really good.
But Chang Cheh's masterpiece is The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I had those two Godard films, those two Hawks films and also would have included 7 Women had I watched it in time, bluedeed, not that it would have made a difference

My list (The perfect mix between mainstream and art house ):

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  2. Playtime
  3. El Dorado
  4. Psycho
  5. Last Year at Marienbad
  6. Au hasard Balthazar
  7. Army of Shadows
  8. Contempt
  9. Alphaville
  10. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
  11. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her…
  12. Pierrot Le Fou
  13. La Dolce Vita
  14. Once Upon a Time in the West
  15. Lawrence of Arabia
  16. L’Avventura
  17. Andrei Rublev
  18. The Graduate
  19. Elmer Gantry
  20. Le Samourai
  21. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  22. Vivre Sa Vie
  23. A Hard Day’s Night
  24. Hatari!

Woody Allen is a pedophille
My Full List:

1. Dr Strangelove
2. The Graduate
3. The Yellow Submarine
4. King Kong vs Godzilla
5. Mary Poppins
6. Swiss Family Robinson
7. To Kill a Mockingbird
8. Romeo and Juliet
9. Psycho
10. 2001 a Space Odyssey
11.The Good the Bad and The Ugly
12. Lawrence of Arabia
13. Bonnie and Clyde
14. Rosemary's Baby
15. Goldfinger
16. Breakfast at Tiffany's
17. Dr. No
18. The Birds
19. The Apartment
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
21. Midnight Cowboy
22. Easy Rider
23. The Jungle Book
24. 8 1/2
25. The Great Escape

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Trv n kvlt serious arthouse movie buff list, bluedeed!
I have to watch Wavelength!
A Countess from Hong Kong more like! The ultimate art house film!

The next list will be documentaries, right?
I've already hosted the 90s list but I'll do this one too if no one qualified volunteers. I'd prefer if someone else does it, though, it's an unwritten rule that you only run one countdown.

Who's up for it? It requires a commitment, you have to guarantee you'll be active for the next six months or so. Also, the person should be an active user (1000+ posts) and have been integrated in the community for at least a year or two. These aren't rules but preferences.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Unless of course there's another countdown we want to do instead, but the 50s aren't until next year (summer). Gotta space it out a bit.

2001 was my #1 pick. I hated it as a kid, then came to appreciate as I got older, and now it's my favorite movie. I recommend watching it on a big screen with a couple beers and a comfy chair. It really benefits from being watched in a nice relaxed state because it moves at such a slow and methodical pace.

In terms of raw ambition no other movie even comes close.

I'm going to take on this beast of a 50s countdown if nobody objects.
You mean you're gonna run it? No problem here.

Although, you know who I wanna see run one of these countdowns? Nostromo87. Just because I wanna see what he does with all the graphics for it. Let him do the Documentaries Countdown.

Even though personally I think Documentaries is a stupid idea.

I'm fine with both of those proposals (Harry Lime for documentaries and Raul for 50s) although for the former I do agree that it would be good to keep up the unwritten rule of a different host for each countdown. But yeah, be prepared to put in a lot of hard work whoever does it, you have to make sure you're online for everyday for a couple of months at least. I know Raul is a very active and friendly member and also has a great enthusiasm for the decade, which is also important. Whoever takes up the job I'll make sure to get you sent my spreadsheet (that you can see in the full list image) to make life easier for you, of course

I'll also take this opportunity once again to thank everybody for the kind words towards me in the last few pages, I'm glad you all enjoyed the countdown and it definitely has been a pleasure

Okay, it's up in the Lists area:

Movie Forums: Top 100 of the 1960s

I think I've already cleaned up all the usual "remake got tagged instead of the original" stuff, but let me know if I missed anything. And if I did, and someone posts a mistake, please don't continue updating your lists until I fix it!

Trouble with a capital "T"
Cool it's up!

Daniel could you post a text version of your spreadsheet that includes all the movies nominated. Not the point spread just the title and it's #number. That way it's searchable.

raul is definitely doing the 50s but if nostromo wants to do the documentary list then that could work. Although, he hasn't really volunteered but instead been volunteered. What say you, Nostromo?

Sci-fi list would of course be fun, maybe after 50s?

94% seen of this list, not bad but will bring that up a bit in the next couple of months (The Haunting around Halloween for sure).

I think an Epics List might be good. Any film that can be described as "an epic" (Ex. 2001, Good Bad Ugly, Bigger Longer Uncut, Das Boot, Princess Mononoke, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ben-Hur, Spartacus, Gone with the Wind) can qualify.