The MoFo Millenium Top 100 Countdown

→ in
Tools    

This may ramble and not be too relevant, sorry, but...

There are plenty of bad and meh films made all over the world. I can't really buy into any argument that one country/culture somehow produces superior movies than another by virtue of being that country/culture.
Absolutely. There are masterpieces made everywhere as well, even Brazil, which such a tiny film industry managed to produce stuff like City of God.

People are people everywhere and hence the artistic potential to produce masterpieces exists in every country: great artists can be born everywhere.

That said, I do much prefer anime to any other animated style, such as french or american. It's an aesthetic choice, yes, but there also is a greater variety and willingness to push the artform, seems to me.

Yet I'll be the first to admit there's LOTS of crap anime. I just think that when it's done very well, nothing else quite compares IMO.
I also said that most anime was crap. But that is a general rule that applies to anything, including movies: most movies made in every country in the world are crap.

I was an idiot when I said that there shouldn't be a poll of animated films. Since it would have encouraged users to watch many great foreign animations before they submit to the deadline.

Interestingly, here is the top feature length animated films according to the Laputa Animation festival (it was made in 2003) poll of 150 best animations (including short films and TV series) as voted by 140 animators from all over the world, I am only including feature length (over 60 minutes) films, which total 44 films.

It is basically the animation equivalent of the British Sign and Sound film poll. Like the British poll it has a certain bias toward older movies.

The Greatest Animated Features (as of 2003)

1 - Fantasia, 1940 (USA)

2 - The King and the Mocking Bird, 1952 (France)

3 - My Neighbor Totoro, 1988 (Japan)

4 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 1937 (USA)

5 - Yellow Submarine, 1968 (UK, USA)

6 - Little Prince and the Eight Headed Dragon, 1963 (Japan)

7 - Horus: Prince of the Sun, 1968 (Japan)

8 - Mr. Bugs Goes to Town, 1941 (USA)

9 - Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, 1984 (Japan)

10 - Castle in the Sky, 1986 (Japan)

11 - The Castle of Cagliostro, 1979 (Japan)

12 - A Midsummer Night's Dream, 1959 (Czechoslovakia)
(couldn't find a poster, here is a clip)

13 - The Nightmare Before Christmas, 1993 (USA)

14 - Fantastic Planet, 1973 (France)

15 - Spirited Away, 2001 (Japan)

16 - Akira, 1988 (Japan)

17 - Pinocchio, 1940 (USA)

18 - Bambi, 1942 (USA)

19 - Grave of the Fireflies, 1988 (Japan)

20 - The Iron Giant, 1998 (USA)

21 - Bajaja, 1951 (Czechoslovakia)
(couldn't find a poster, here is a clip)

22 - Toy Story, 1995 (USA)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/Toy_Story.jpg/220px-Toy_Story.jpg

23 - The Emperor's Nightingale, 1949 (Czechoslovakia)

24 - Monster's Incorporated, 2001 (USA)

25 - Puss in Boots, 1969 (Japan)

26 - Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, 1999 (Japan)

27 - The Tale of the White Serpent, 1958 (Japan)

28 - Allegro Non Troppo, 1976 (Italy)

29 - Wings of Honneamise, 1987 (Japan)

30 - Patlabor 2, 1993 (Japan)

31 - Night on the Galactic Express, 1985 (Japan)

32 - The Fabulous World of Jules Verne, 1958 (Czechoslovakia)

33 - Alice, 1988 (Czechoslovakia)

34 - Urusei Yatsura 2: Byûtifuru dorîmâ, 1984 (Japan)

35 - Macross: Do You Remember Love?, 1984 (Japan)

36 - Heavy Metal, 1981 (USA)

37 - Ghost in the Shell, 1995 (Japan)

38 - Lupin the Third: The Secret of Mamo, 1978 (Japan)

39 - Galaxy Express 999: The Signature Edition, 1979 (Japan)

40 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit, 1988 (USA)

41 - Dumbo, 1941 (USA)

42 - Princess Mononoke, 1997 (Japan)

43 - Porco Rosso, 1992 (Japan)

44 - Memories, 1995 (Japan)

Distribution by region:

Japan - 9 films
USA - 11.5 films
Europe - 9.5 films

For more recent films (made after 1975):

Japan - 19 films
USA - 6 films
Europe - 2 films

Notes:

1- Foreign films constituted about 3/4 of all films, as it should be . At my personal top 50 animated films, the US had 8 films, Japan, 36 films, Europe, 6 films.

2 - Now that's what I consider a rather fair distribution. If a similar poll were done today, about 10 years later, Japan would probably score an even higher proportion than 52.4% of all films, considering the output by the likes of Satoshi Kon, Mamuro Hosoda, Makoto Schinkai, Rintaro, the new Ghibli films and the work of several other directors. Considering the fact that for films dated from 1975 (after the anime boom began in Japan) to 2002, Japan had 70.4% of all great animated films.

3 - Miyazaki alone had 5 films at the top 15 and 7 films in total (all his films up to that point except Kiki's Delivery Service ). Princess Mononoke was definitely too low, though, his other films probably absorbed most of the jury's votes.

4 - Pixar would probably get more than two films, maybe 5-6 films in total (adding The Incredibles, Wall-E, UP and Ratatouille).

5 - If an additional poll were done today, feature length animations would probably get a larger share of the total (more than 44/150), as about 400-500 feature length animations were released from 2003-2012.

6 - Czechoslovakia apparently was a very important producer of animated films. Most of what I haven't seem is from Japan and Czechoslovakia.

Because it was a highly original vampire tale and a sensitive portrayal of two young outsiders becoming friends.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I tend to think the best parts of Let the Right One In are the visuals, which it's remarkably patient in building to. The shots in the pool, in particularly, are eerily beautiful, despite being horrifying. It doesn't use all the usual musical cues or camera movements to underline what's happening; it just happens. No telegraphing or anything. It's oddly striking. You don't even always realize how many cinematic conventions these kinds of films employ and the genre itself has accumulated until you see a genre film that scraps them.

A little late and I know I posted it somewhere else, but I can't remember where.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested, here's the list I sent in.

1. Charlie's Angels
2. Chopper
3. Fever Pitch/The Perfect Catch
4. Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind
5. Black Dynamite
6. 50 First Dates
7. Ginger Snaps
8. Amelie
9. Monster's Inc
10. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
11. Gosford Park
12. City Of God
13. Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
14. Death Proof/Grindhouse
15. The Lives Of Others
16. Downfall
17. Battle Royale
18. Bring It On
19. Hedwig And The Angry Inch
20. Catch Me If You Can
21. Dog Soldiers
22. Paradise Lost 2: Revelations
23. Touching The Void
24. Final Destination
25. Dead Man's Shoes

I might move a couple and I should've included In The Shadow Of The Moon, but other than that, I'm fine with it.

9. Monster's Inc
19. Hedwig And The Angry Inch
20. Catch Me If You Can
+rep for these. The rest I either haven't seen or don't like. Also thumbs up for voting for the movies you genuinely love most, rather than the ones that had the best chance of making the list.

The only one I don't know why I left off my list is Ghost World. But it made the countdown without my help anyway, so I'm not worried about it.

I had Gosford Park at around the same place on my list

I tend to think the best parts of Let the Right One In are the visuals, which it's remarkably patient in building to. The shots in the pool, in particularly, are eerily beautiful, despite being horrifying. It doesn't use all the usual musical cues or camera movements to underline what's happening; it just happens. No telegraphing or anything. It's oddly striking. You don't even always realize how many cinematic conventions these kinds of films employ and the genre itself has accumulated until you see a genre film that scraps them.
Unfortunately I saw the American remake first, very good but it's near sameness with the foreign film made it near pointless, nudge nudge.

The most striking difference in visuals between the films is the pool scene, much better with the original in my view, should probably also be in the shocking thread maybe?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
honeykid, I do give you props for voting what you truly like. Fortunately, most of those movies never had a chance. Though I do enjoy 50 First Dates

Thanks.

The point of the list, I thought, was for us to put up our favourite/best 25 films of the Millennium. I could've quite easily voted for 25 films I thought the majority of the voters would choose in order to 'have the most picks show up'.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not sure anyone voted in order to 'have the most picks show up', I just think we all hoped the movies we loved would make it. And I think it's true of everybody that some did, some didn't.

What was #101?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."