Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I love Miller's Crossing, but you're points are valid, the plot is intentionally messy - particularly at the beginning. You never know what anyone's full intentions are, especially Tommy's, until the very end, everyone's double crossing each other and it's like we're watching a jigsaw and trying to piece it together.

Here's part of a Jim Emerson article on it and about how it all fits together (can't get the full article as it was on his now down website):

One more thing: Every scene in Miller's Crossing is essential so that all the pieces may fall into place in the last shot. But although you might think that the film's crucial moment is the one in the ads -- and the one you see here, the climactic execution at the crossing in the woods -- there's actually a very brief earlier scene (the only appearance of Steve Buscemi as a weasley fellow named Mink, excerpted at right) that off-handedly sets up the entire picture. It seems like a throwaway, a chance encounter as Tom is on his way to meet someone else, but so much information is packed into this brief exchange that the mind boggles in retrospect.

Here's what he's referring to:
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Miller%27s-Crossing.html (SCENE 12)

man of steel= 7/10

My wife's turn to pick and it was Philomena, "based on a true story". My wife came from an Irish Catholic family the movie was quite close to home. Judy Dench is an old woman, living in England, who contacts an out of work reporter (Martin Sixsmith, played well by Steve Coogan) about her desire to locate the son she gave up for adoption 50 years ago. These were the bad old days (1950's) of Irish catholicism in which an unwed teen girl was put in a convent where she was a virtual slave and her baby was sold to rich Americans, along with those of the other girls/women in the "convent". Her quest to find out what ever happened to her son is a long odyssey that doesn't reflect well on the church. While the British production was really well produced and well acted, it's not exactly a popcorn movie, but a movie that will arouse your anti-clerical mood. Filmed in England, Northern Ireland, DC and Maryland, the movie is quite effective in having a realistic, you-are-there feel. Recommended if you want a serious movie.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Yes, I've never watched the Star Wars movies. And yes, I disliked this one. Bad acting, bad script, great special effects though.
Don't let this one shy you away from the rest. Episodes 4-6 are fantastic! 2 is also really bad, but at least 3 gets to be pretty okay (great fight scenes).

Yeah, I've heard that the 1st one was actually the worst, will give the other ones a try.

I really enjoyed this movie. The actors were great, the script was simple but very effective, and I found the messages given throughout the movie to be truly wonderful.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Moebius -
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Left me wondering if the film industry has a future.. Also, did not consist of the main constitute parts required to be classed as a film - a plot, acting, characterization or cinematography. This film is an atrocity.

Meet Joe Black (1998) - this film was often shown on TV when I was little yet I've watched it for the first time today.I don't really know how should I describe this,I feel that it's either pretentious or I haven't grown up to it.

Disappointed. Watched the trailer and was expecting a thriller. What this movie was lacking was a lot of thrills. It spends the first 50 minutes to an hour to set up the revenge plot. It was pretty good toward the end, but the ultimate pay off at the end was lackluster. Which was sad since the cast is pretty A list and they were in fine form. Not worth theater price.

Heat

+. Terrific crime thriller, and easily one of the best films of the 90's. It features sleek,efficient direction and incredible action sequences. The movie brings a certain level of realism and weight to the gunfights and whatnot, you really feel immersed in the film's world. The performances are strong, the script is tight and the movie never feels boring or tedious. It moves along at a brisk,calculated pace. There are a few minor flaws though. There are some subplots that feel kind of underdeveloped or even left hanging entirely. It's not a big deal, due to the ambition and massive story of the film but it feels as if though maybe 30 minutes or so of the film were cut before release.Still, Heat is an excellent, thoroughly engaging and intelligent thriller.....they don't make em' like they used to.
I've seen this film once and I instantly put it into my top 10. Great film.

Make Tea, Not Love
Invictus (2009)

Considering Nelson Mandela died recently, I decided to sit down and watch Invictus, as sort of a tribute to this great man. And I must say - I wasn't very keen on it. Despite being a very decent movie, Invictus bored me from time to time, especially during the rugby scenes, which isn't a shock considering how I'm not a rugby fan.

You can read a more detailed review on my website.

That's an incredibly high rating for a movie you didn't like all that much.
I was about to say the same. I give it a similar rating (maybe slightly lower), from memory (it's been a while), but when I saw it I thought it was a good film.

Love Actually (2003) -

Give Hans Gruber a role in your film in order to make it more Christmassy. I see what you did there.

American History X I rewatched it since It has been a while since I've seen it and it was better than I taught. I think the ending is bad, but other than that excellent film 8.5/10

3:10 to Yuma (the original one from the 50's) I actually preferred this one. The music is great and I think Glenn Ford is better than Russell Crowe as Ben Wade. Since it was my first black and white western I was surprised of how landscape looked great in only black and white I taught it would be bland, but not at all ! 8/10

Lord High Filmquisitor
3:10 to Yuma (the original one from the 50's) I actually preferred this one. The music is great and I think Glenn Ford is better than Russell Crowe as Ben Wade. Since it was my first black and white western I was surprised of how landscape looked great in only black and white I taught it would be bland, but not at all ! 8/10
High Noon also looks really great, although that one was less landscape and more town.