Pussy Galore's 75 favourite films

→ in
Tools    

American Beauty is also wonderful. The simple image of rose petals will be linked with this film forever. It was made in 1999, but it's already a huge classic. Great pick!
American Beauty is not the type of movie I usually love, yet it is also in my top 10. I think it's about perfect, and Lester Burnham is easily one of my favorite characters. It's also top 5 for my wife and I think it's a film a lot of people can relate to in some way.
American Beauty was one of three films that really helped change my perspective of how to took at and appreciate films. So it has a special place in my heart. Good choice!
Oh Yeah! American Beauty is a masterpiece. One of my favorite films ever. Excellent choice.
Hey Harry, are you reading this?

Why do you have two #10

Yep it's a top 76 finally haha

nostromo I don't get the star trek reference? haha

The Graduate (1967)

Directed by Mike Nichols
Written by Calder Willingham and Buck Hnery (screenplay), Buck Henry (book)
Starring Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross and many more !

There might be some spoilers

I'm usually not a fan of romantic movies, but this one if one hell of an exception. First, the character of Ben is really interesting in the fact that he searches himself. He doesn't know who he really is both emotionally and professionally. The scene at the beginning when everyone is happy for him and you can see that he doesn't really care for this social gathering and that he is a young men with a lot of questions that aren'tanswered. In addition to that Anne Bancroft is the original milf and his stunningly attractive. The ending in the bus with them looking at each other is fantastic as well. You can see on their faces that they realize the impact of the decision they just made. Simon & Garfunkel's soundtrack is my favourite ever. All the musical scene are fantastic. A must see !

I love all the parodies based on the scene on the title.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I've never seen that movie, but oddly enough for me, I've seen the play. I only remember because Kathleen Turner got naked. I would like to see the movie though.

Oh yes. The Graduate is one of the most perfect films I've ever seen! It contains great comedy, a very satisfying character study, possibly the best movie soundtrack of all time and Mike Nichols directed it in a wonderfully tasteful and fancy way. I love everything about this film and it is one of my very favorites.

Perfect choice!

I think your list is OK, but I am surprised as to the many independent films your list does not have.
So you're saying my list doesn't have enough independent films? That's right I'm only 17 years old and I started being into movie like a year and a half ago. Before that I haven't seen anything except some Pixar stuff and some ****** comedies so in 500 days I think I managed to watch the classics, but eventually I'll be pleased to hear your suggestions for independent films and I a really interested in them !

I couldn't agree more Cobpyth !

Dead Poets Society (1989)

Directed by Peter Weir
Wirtten by Tom Schulman
Starring Robin Williams, Robert Sean Leonard, Ethan Hawke and many more !

I know it's not that good, but the message behind it changed my life. I watched the movie when I was 14 years old the whole idea of carpe diem, seizing the day really made a change in my and for that it deserves to be my #6. When I rewatch it I skip some parts that I find not so good, but every scene in which Robin Williams is in is pure gold. John Keating might be my favourite movie character ever.

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Directed by Stanley Kubrick
Written by Anthony Burgess (book), Stanley Kubrick (screenplay)
Starring Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Adrienne Cori and many more !

It's the best Kubrick's film in my opinion. It's a beautiful film to look at, the visuals impress me every time I watch it. I actually feel sympathy for Alex and it's not normal. I mean when I watched Natural Born Killer I was hating the main characters and I wanted them to be arrested, but in this case even if Alex is a disgusting man who raped and kills women I can't help, but have pity for him. It also asks us a great question. Should we let human nature be by itself even if it's horrible or should we change it and create a robot. I don't have the answer to that question, but I constantly have this question in mind when I see evil.

Finished here. It's been fun.
In my opinion:

The Graduate

A Clockwork Orange

Glad to see some Dead Poets Societ love The movie really is inspiring,I love tragic scene(don't want to spoil) in the movie,it makes it not so sentimental.Great choice.

Dead Poets Society is an OK film, but it's a little too overly dramatic and sentimental for my taste and I think it lacks subtlety in its message. It's too easy to make an argument against something if you portray it in a very negative, almost unrealistic way. The last scene is a classic, though. "Oh captain, my captain!"

A Clockwork Orange is one of my personal favorites (probably top 20 material). Next to its amazing style and visuals, it contains one of the most haunting stories of all time. Repression and freedom are held against each other in this dark, yet still oddly comic tale of a downright evil person who gets turned into an unfree creature because of a governmental experiment against crime. Brilliant film.

EDIT - 08/12/2014:

I was thinking about this post of mine just now (Robin Williams just died). I always thought the suicide bit was over the top and it made me disconnect with the movie, because I didn't think it was realistic or believable.
Somehow, I just started thinking that I, myself, am just unable to understand the inner grief of someone who commits suicide. It's not the movie that's unrealistic. It's me who doesn't want to believe that such grief exists.

Just wanted to add this to the post...

I'm not a huge fan of the Beethoven music, but the music played during the opening scene is terrific. One of the most awesome openings that I've seen in all of cinema.