What was the movie that propelled John Travolta to stardom?

Tools    

i remember him the most from welcome back kotter as vinnie barbarino...

then saturday night fever....

i thought he was great in michael and also a small film called white man's burden

I'm not sure, but my favourite performance of his is definately in Pulp Fiction.

Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

He had a great run from 77-80 ... Saturday Night Fever and Urban Cowboy, and Welcome Back Kotter happening at the same time. I think these are what made him a "star" in the Hollywood sense. And the comeback in Pulp Fiction restored that "star" story in the way Hollywood likes it told. He was fabulous in that ... Tarentino really knows how to write a part that fits an actor like a second skin. But to my mind Pulp Fiction may have been what restored his confidence in himself, and he did a string of worthy movies again. My particular favorites come from that period: Get Shorty and A Civil Action. He's drifted back into taking throw-away parts and it seems such a waste.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

The answer here is clearly Battlefield: Earth.

I remember Travolta accepting some award for his work in PULP FICTION and the first person he thanked was Amy Heckerling. He said that if Heckerling had not taken a chance on him in LOOK WHO'S TALKING, he never would have been considered for Vincent Vega.

It was definitely Grease and Saturday Night Fever that propelled him to stardom...

... Pulp Fiction just revitalised his career that at that time, was nearing dead.

Seems he's dropped off the ladder again recently though.

Urban Cowboy