Highest Grossing Movie This Year Domestically?

Tools    

There are those who call me...Tim.
The Dark Knight Rises: $64 million 2nd weekend (estimate):

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend...wknd=30&p=.htm

60% drop, $11 million less than The Dark Knight made in it's 2nd weekend 4 years ago.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

60% drop, $11 million less than The Dark Knight made in it's 2nd weekend 4 years ago.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"

Olympics Opening ceremony was on Friday tho.

TDKR did worse in its 3rd weekend than Avengers in its fourth. Show your crow-eating self, bouncingbrick.

You're just not looking hard enough.

Give him props, he's takin' it like a man.

Though I don't think any of us saw quite this kind of disparity coming. Looks unlikely to even break $500 million domestically. $450 million might even be a tad optimistic. But we'll see. It might hang around at low levels for awhile. I can see some decent holdovers late due to people wanting to make sure they see it in IMAX.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'll admit, I thought Total Recall was going to do more damage than it did. The Bourne Legacy will surely take the top spot.

Suspect's Reviews

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
The only reason Avengers has more than DKR is because of the 3D

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
“Dark Knight Rises” was the top moneymaker at the foreign box office for the fifth consecutive weekend. It took in $21.4 million and in the process passed the overall overseas gross of its predecessor, “The Dark Knight.”

The final chapter in director Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy has now taken in $488.6 million abroad, surpassing the $469.7 million for “Dark Knight.” The overall worldwide gross stands at $897.7 million, and it will almost surely be the first Batman movie to make more money abroad than in the U.S

-TheWrap

Also, had Titanic not been re-released in 3D adding another 50 some odd million to its overall total, Avengers would be at the #2 spot.

“Dark Knight Rises” was the top moneymaker at the foreign box office for the fifth consecutive weekend. It took in $21.4 million and in the process passed the overall overseas gross of its predecessor, “The Dark Knight.”

The final chapter in director Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy has now taken in $488.6 million abroad, surpassing the $469.7 million for “Dark Knight.” The overall worldwide gross stands at $897.7 million, and it will almost surely be the first Batman movie to make more money abroad than in the U.S

-TheWrap

Also, had Titanic not been re-released in 3D adding another 50 some odd million to its overall total, Avengers would be at the #2 spot.
Although there's not really any evidence to support what I'm about to say (other than a crazy article saying 20% of people are scared to go see Batman), this may be in part due to the Aurora shooting. At least, that's the only reason I can think of why the overseas box office is doing better for this particular film.

Unfortunately there's no real way to test how much of an effect the shooting had on the film's performance. It's all just speculation.

Elsewhere BB may've been wrong, but here in the UK, he was absolutely bang on.

The Dark Knight Rises Is The Year's Biggest Movie In Britain

Here in the United States, The Avengers is the runaway box office hit of the year, having made nearly $200 million more than its nearest competition, The Dark Knight Rises. But across the pond in the United Kingdom-- where maybe they're just less interested in a movie that stars a guy named Captain America-- the roles are directly reversed. Last weekend The Dark Knight Rises became the year's highest-grossing film in the United Kingdom, spending its sixth straight weekend at #1 in the country.

According to the film website Flicks and Bits, The Dark Knight Rises made an estimated $15.3 million overseas last weekend, which pushed up the film's UK haul to $82.1 million-- just ahead of The Avengers's $80.56, and likely to expand that lead in the coming weeks. The global tallies for both films, though, remain quite different-- while The Dark Knight Rises has made a damn impressive $941 million worldwide, The Avengers is well ahead of it with $1.491 million, a huge number that any film this year would be lucky to meet. Right now The Dark Knight Rises also remains behind the overall tally of The Dark Knight, which eventually made $1 billion worldwide-- even without the IMAX surcharge that The Dark Knight Rises is enjoying.

With summer wrapping up it's abundantly clear that The Avengers is the big winner domestically, but it's interesting to see how things can be changed up in other countries. For one more example, take a look at what's happening over in China-- both The Dark Knight RisesThe Amazing Spider-Man just opened there, and according to The LA Times, Spidey had no trouble beating Bats.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dark-...ain-32685.html

I am not 100% sure it will make a billion dollars though.

Wonder if it will pop the $1 Billion dollar mark like TDK.
Will it break 1 billion? That's the question. I say no.

And before you flame me for saying no, remember....I said it wouldn't come close to Avengers for Weekend, Domestic or Worldwide....and I'm right.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
He lives........

would be funny if the hobbit comes out and just blows the avengers and TDKR out of the water. Doubt it will happen but I would laugh a little, and maybe cry too. lol.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
would be funny if the hobbit comes out and just blows the avengers and TDKR out of the water. Doubt it will happen but I would laugh a little, and maybe cry too. lol.
Suppose it's the only possible candidate to challenge Avenges now, and a strong candidate at that. Is there a family that won't be taking their kids to watch The Hobbit this Christmas?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

When does DKR end its theatrical run? I'm looking forward to having some fun with bricks' sig.