Movie Tab II

Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Here's the latest omnibus of reviews from JayDee's Movie Musings for those who haven't already seen them

mirror

The Amazing Spider-Man

+

This is a great Peter Parker movie. Unfortunately it's merely a good/very good Spider-Man movie

Just as I did with my Avengers review I think I should start with a disclaimer. As I said back then I am a massive comic book geek, and nothing gets my inner fanboy more excited than Spider-Man. He is far and away my favourite superhero so any chance to see him swinging on the big screen is always going to be a treat for me. As a result I'm probably not the most impartial reviewer you're going to find. I'm likely to love a good Spider-Man movie more than a stunning Superman movie for example.

Read the full review here

mirror

The Candidate

+

Back when the Ides of March was released I remember a number of reviews mentioning this film as a kindred spirit of sorts, and I'm sure I even remember Clooney confirming it as one of the inspirations for Ides. And it's very clear to see the similarities and parallels between the two. The major difference I suppose being the reversal of roles. In Ides it was Ryan Gosling's Stephen Meyers; working on the campaign, who was the individual who has his eyes opened to the truth of politics while Clooney's potential President knows exactly how the game is played. Here it is Peter Boyle's campaign manager who knows every in and out of this world with Redford's Senatorial candidate who is the clueless idealist who beings to see the truth. Though here it is a much more subtle, long term realisation. In Ides .......................

mirror

Play Misty for Me

++

The element that really stands out in this film, and what I will vividly remember, is the performance of Jessica Walter. As Clint's conquest who turns into a stalker she is incredibly creepy. Actually scratch that, she's downright terrifying! I wouldn't be at all surprised to find her invading my dreams for the next few nights! And it's not just when she's wildly waving a knife that she brings the fear; it's the way she can switch in the blink of an eye from being charming and sensual, to just exploding into a foul mouthed tirade. She reminded me of a boa constrictor in a way; the more Clint struggles and tries to get free the more vice like her grip on him seems to get.

As for Clint, I couldn't help feeling that given the profession of his character .....................

mirror

Magic

++

This isn't quite the film I was expecting, but it was all the better for it. I was bracing myself for a trashier, schlockier affair and was surprised to find a more understated and intriguing effort which eventually reaches a place of sadness and poignancy. Perhaps going by the DVD cover art I was expecting a supernatural killer doll movie where the dummy comes alive. Instead it's the story of a man losing his sanity and his identity as his release, the ventriloquist dummy, begins to take over and dominate the relationship. The film is different from many films of its type in that it's not scary because of its dummy, it's scary because of the ventriloquist. The fact that the film (and the original novel) refuse to take the obvious route of making Fats ...................

mirror

Tightrope

+

Oh this is a very dark and grimy little film. One of the bleaker and grubbier thrillers I've seen for a while. It's really atmospheric and gloomy, both in appearance and tone. Much of the film takes place at night and in darkness, very much fitting with the story and its characters. And like the killer Eastwood is often obscured by shadows. It really does delve into darker psycho-sexual territory than you would usually see from your typical mainstream detective film starring such a major star. As the setting for this dark tale cinematographer Bruce Surtees delivers a terrifically atmospheric vision of New Orleans; a truly sleazy and seedy depiction. And this is topped off with an appropriately dirty, bluesy soundtrack.

mirror

Escape from Alcatraz

This is an exceptionally finely crafted effort from Don Siegel, even if I personally found it a tad lacking in actual thrills. It certainly doesn't proceed at a lightning pace, and has a noticeable lack of significant or exciting set-pieces, spending much more time on the little details both of prison life and the planned escape. So we don't have the action of fights and prison riots, or the inspirational take of a Shawshank Redemption. Instead it's more a study of how these characters try to stay sane in this hell. It takes a much more measured and meticulous approach, obsessing over all of the little details as opposed to descending into a more melodramatic affair. And does so while still remaining relatively tense. And Eastwood's restrained style just adds to the film's low key nature.

mirror

The Silent Flute (aka Circle of Iron)

A warrior named Cord wanders the Earth seeking Zetan, the protector of a mystical book of enlightenment. He finds a man (Eli Wallach) in the middle of the desert, sitting in a cauldron of oil. He has been doing this for 10 straight years. Why is he doing this? To dissolve his penis in the ultimate vow of chastity! He wants to insure his celibacy. Seriously! Oh and David Carradine's blind man plays a flute in the background. And you know what is perhaps the weirdest thing about that? It doesn't seem all that weird here. If anything it feels rather run of the mill and normal.

As you will probably be able to gather from the scene I've described ...............

A system of cells interlinked
Wow - great Escape from Alcatraz poster!

Blow Out (1981)

Dark Days (2000) -

The Demolitionist (1995)

Shoddy but self-aware Robocop capitalization directed by makeup artist Robert Kurtzman (who also directed the craptastic Wishmaster). It has moments, but not as entertaining as it could’ve been.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

I know this was met with a lot of skepticism from fans of the original (myself included), but I think this was actually a lot better. Great film.

Iron Sky (2012)

Space Nazis, soundtrack by Laibach, quotable script, awesome visuals. Thumbs up.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

I know this was met with a lot of skepticism from fans of the original (myself included), but I think this was actually a lot better. Great film.
After seeing, and not understanding the all encompassing love for the original, I've decided to take a look at this, too. Just to see if I feel the same way about that version.

For those who love the original, just wondering whether that was the first Nordic crime fiction you'd seen?

Bigger Than Life (Nicholas Ray, 1956)

Contrived by today's standards, but nonetheless an absorbing ride into a 50s working class adult life of over-reliance on his medication. Far from the best of Nicholas Ray (which for me is Johnny Guitar).
+

The Great Silence (Sergio Corbucci, 1968)

Very bleak and minimalist Spaghetti Western with frightening performance from Klaus Kinski.
-

Leningrad Cowboys Go America (Aki Kaurismaki, 1989)

I still have no idea why the band in the movie was hated by everyone they met on the road. The music wasnt that horrible...
-

The Naked Prey (Cornel Wilde, 1966)

Should be viewed back-to-back with Nicholas Roeg's Walkabout. The African desert captured ever so majestic and haunting.

I spent last week visiting my girlfriend's relatives at Lake Ontario and while I was out there caught a bunch of recent releases at a cheap independent theater as well as an even cheaper second-run joint. We also meant to see Jaws at the George Eastman House theater but due to sloppy scheduling (on my part) we missed it.

They're listed in the order I saw them

Night of the Comet (Thom E. Eberhardt, 1984)

If this odd post-apocalyptic movie doesn't have a cult it deserves at least a small one. I especially liked that the shallow valley girl heroines wound up being the most sympathetic and intelligent characters, and the sci-fi premise is just fresh enough. The major let-down is the production. The low budget definitely shows and while it's not bad-looking there's not quite enough energy behind the camera to make up for it. The b-movie cast (including the mom from TerrorVision) was less of a barrier for me, maybe due to the decent script.

+

Magic Mike (Steven Soderbergh, 2012)

I enjoyed this unequivocally, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on - especially near the end - keeping me from rating it higher. The choreography, cast and cinematography are all on fire. Matthew McConaughey writes and plays his own (hilariously bad) theme song.

+

The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, 2012)

I went into this with my typically low Superhero expectations but came away thoroughly entertained.

Dark Shadows (Tim Burton, 2012)

Johnny Depp has some fun with a script that gives him a lot of funny-sounding anachronisms (but not much else). Production is solid for the most part. I thought the farcical tone was pretty entertaining, and there are some surprisingly-effective dark/unfunny moments here and there (especially with Helena Bonham Carter's character) but otherwise whenever the movie tries to get serious/suspenseful it falls flat on its face.

"I know I have but the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and soul of a person who really wants that Dodo."

The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Peter Lord, Jeff Newitt, 2012)

Another one I want to rate higher based on entertainment but am held back by some vague feeling. Maybe it's that every part that isn't a joke or semi-obscure reference is strictly formula. Fortunately at least 80% of it is jokes, but I'll see how well they play a second (and third) time before rating it higher. The clay animation is also wonderful (and still rare enough - in spite of Wallace and Gromit and Tim Burton - that I'll root for any decent example of it).

+

Machete (Robert Rodriguez, 2010)

This pomo Mexploitation movie is more enjoyable than it really has a right to be. I think I liked it even better than El Mariachi.

+

The Serpent's Kiss (Philippe Rousselot, 1997)

The setting/era (right down to the decade), the domestic/financial conspiracy, the play of manners and the main character are all very reminiscent of The Draughtsman's Contract. Still, there are enough meaningful differences to make it worth your while if you're already a fan of that movie, and even if you're not it's much more accessible so I still recommend it. Very good cast (including Chaplin's granddaughter (Eugene O'Neill's great granddaughter)).

The Departed (Martin Scorsese, 2006)

Maybe recently being blown away by the Hong Kong original ruined this faithful rehash. I was also much less impressed with the cast this time around -- except for Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin, who I felt could easily have sleep-walked through their roles, and a pretty intense Leonardo DiCaprio.

Election (Johnny To, 2005)

Elaborate Hong Kong gangster saga about an election for Triad chairman that almost devolves into an all-out gang war. The bulk of the action is a convoluted MacGuffin chase, but the final act, after the main competition has been resolved, just feels like a set-up for the sequel (Triad Election, which I intend to watch very soon). The huge cast of characters and their factional politics is too complicated to take in the first time, but I found it worthwhile to go back and re-watch many key scenes to get a better view of the whole.

What's New Pussycat (Clive Donner, Richard Talmadge, 1965)

Woody Allen wrote the screenplay and if you're not a fan of either his writing or his self-styled persona/acting I doubt this will be the one that wins you over. The other two thirds of the movie are Peter O'Toole (a faux-innocent boozy philanderer) and Peter Sellers (a completely off-the-wall Viennese psychoanalyst). Sellers is great and steals every scene he's in. O'Toole is good but I'd rather watch him play himself in My Favorite Year than in this any day. I found the lack of any female character beyond the broadest possible stereotype annoying but if you can get past that it's a decent sausage fest (with a bunch of pretty women for decorations).

Contraband (Baltasar Kormákur, 2012)

Solid performances in all the leads, and I liked the amount of odd turns this serious caper-film takes, but the twist ending was a little too predictable. I just don't feel like finding and resizing a picture for it right now.

The Dark Knight Rises (Christopher Nolan, 2012)

(Follow the link to where I wrote a little bit more about it.) I was blown away by the handling of both the villains (Bane and Catwoman) and I loved the ending. A proper candidate for inclusion in Linespalsy 101.

Nanook of the North (Robert Flaherty, 1922)

Thanks to a large cola and a late screening of The Dark Knight the night before I saw this, I fell asleep for some parts of it. I'll give a re-watch before returning it to the library but what I saw seemed to be worth a

Night of the Comet has a loyal cult following. Agree with your comments and rating though. It's a bit sluggish pace wise, and not quite as hip as it thinks it is. My fave scene is the shoootout with the gothy new wave guys in the shopping mall. The lady from TerrorVision is called Mary Woronov and she's aces. See Eating Raoul for her coolest role.

Finally some love for Machete. I laughed my ass off at that movie.

Night of the Comet has a loyal cult following. Agree with your comments and rating though. It's a bit sluggish pace wise, and not quite as hip as it thinks it is. My fave scene is the shoootout with the gothy new wave guys in the shopping mall. The lady from TerrorVision is called Mary Woronov and she's aces. See Eating Raoul for her coolest role.

Finally some love for Machete. I laughed my ass off at that movie.
Ah, yeah the gothy kid shootout is pretty good, I'll check out Eating Raoul.

I'm glad you dug Machete, I can see myself going back to that movie quite a bit. The weed-whacker seen was great.

Election (Johnny To, 2005)

Elaborate Hong Kong gangster saga about an election for Triad chairman that almost devolves into an all-out gang war. The bulk of the action is a convoluted MacGuffin chase, but the final act, after the main competition has been resolved, just feels like a set-up for the sequel (Triad Election, which I intend to watch very soon).
I picked up, what I thought was the sequel, a while ago and never watched it. My DVD was just called Election: Vol 2, I know sometime foreign films can get renamed for easier marketing, i'm assuming same film.

Also, big fan of Machete, seen cast list for Machete Kills?

I picked up, what I thought was the sequel, a while ago and never watched it. My DVD was just called Election: Vol 2, I know sometime foreign films can get renamed for easier marketing, i'm assuming same film.
That could be the same film as Triad Election, which is aka simply "Election 2." I'd give it the same rating as the first, but would strongly recommend watching them in order.

Also, big fan of Machete, seen cast list for Machete Kills?
Someone mentioned Lady Gaga's in it to me tonight, but that's the first I've heard of the sequel to Machete. I'll definitely be seeing it.

Contraband (Baltasar Kormákur, 2012)

Solid performances in all the leads, and I liked the amount of odd turns this serious caper-film takes, but the twist ending was a little too predictable. I just don't feel like finding and resizing a picture for it right now.
If interested, there is the original film from Iceland, with the director of the American remake in an acting role instead:

Sans Soleil (Marker, 1983)

Woke up to the news that Chris Marker, has passed away. Which makes my completely coincidental viewing of this film last night all the more apt. The film itself is an absolutely gorgeous meditation. Describing it through text alone really can't do it justice. One really needs to experience it first hand.

RIP Chris Marker

Sans Soleil (Marker, 1983)

Woke up to the news that Chris Marker, has passed away. Which makes my completely coincidental viewing of this film last night all the more apt. The film itself is an absolutely gorgeous meditation. Describing it through text alone really can't do it justice. One really needs to experience it first hand.

RIP Chris Marker

Now I want to watch this. It's about time.

RIP Chris Marker

There's a decent copy on Youtube, which is where I watched it, if you're looking to check it out immediately. I have little doubt that it would look amazing on Blu-ray though.

mirror

Play Misty for Me

++

The element that really stands out in this film, and what I will vividly remember, is the performance of Jessica Walter. As Clint's conquest who turns into a stalker she is incredibly creepy. Actually scratch that, she's downright terrifying! I wouldn't be at all surprised to find her invading my dreams for the next few nights! And it's not just when she's wildly waving a knife that she brings the fear; it's the way she can switch in the blink of an eye from being charming and sensual, to just exploding into a foul mouthed tirade. She reminded me of a boa constrictor in a way; the more Clint struggles and tries to get free the more vice like her grip on him seems to get.

As for Clint, I couldn't help feeling that given the profession of his character .....................

I personally didn't think much of Play Misty for Me. I strongly prefer the later Misery which truly makes you feel like the character is trapped. I think that's the whole point of a psychotic fan movie she wants him all to herself. While Evelyn wanted that she never really capitalized on getting it. Making it much less thrilling then it could be