Cloud Atlas

Tools    

Directed by The Wachowskis, (co-director) Tom Tykwer

Based on Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving

From Wiki:

"an epic story of humankind in which the actions and consequences of our lives impact one another throughout the past, present and future as one soul is shaped from a murderer into a savior and a single act of kindness ripples out for centuries to inspire a revolution."

I don't know how good it'll be, but it looks daring. Has anyone here read the book?

Must read the book first, it's the only book of his that I've yet to read. Adore his books. The film looks stunning and I like that Tom Tykwer has a big part in getting this film going and directing so hope people don't think it's really just a 'Wachowskis' film.

I was disinterested in the concept but that trailer is pretty amazing. I may read the book because it sounds like something that's right up my alley.

The real question is will the movie going public take an interest in this? It looks too far out of a concept for a mainstream audience. Will this film flop? I think it can swing either way, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it to blow away the box office.

After watching this trailer, does anybody know what this movie is actually about? The trailer was 6 minutes and I still have no idea!

It looks like a big beautiful mess of a film which, if we're lucky, will find an appreciative audience many years after its release. That, or a financial black hole which no one recovers from.

After watching this trailer, does anybody know what this movie is actually about? The trailer was 6 minutes and I still have no idea!
This is such a wonderful thing, why are you even bringing it up? If every trailer was as vague as this then I'd be far more excited to watch far more films.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't see this making its money back, too weird and too long for the general movie going audience.

Looks like there is too much going on for me, I got a Fountain vibe from it too.

Suspect's Reviews

^ Yeah similar to The Fountain when it comes to the past, present and future times shown, the book takes place around five or six different periods. I think a lot might get confused with the time line if they go by how the book follows it.

This is such a wonderful thing, why are you even bringing it up? If every trailer was as vague as this then I'd be far more excited to watch far more films.
Funny that a six minute trailer can still be vague. From what I gathered, they still gave away far too much.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I'm interested in how one of the most multifaceted novels of our time, spanning many years can be pulled off on screen. I don't want to give away but from the trailer we can see there are a few changes, namely Hanks role as multiple characters.

Oof. Obviously, an incredible trailer, but then it can be easy to make a trailer with great promise, because so much of the promise here is the "can they really make these things feel genuinely interconnected?" The best trailers usually have a lot of seemingly disparate images, and are fascinating because we merely assume while watching it that they will tie together elegantly...but of course, sometimes they don't.

I mean, this could be Magnolia, but it could be Southland Tales, too. Just sayin'. But I'm intrigued.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
What do we call the Director Tandem now?

The Wachowski Siblings doesnt have the same ring as the Brothers.

anyways with regards to what its all about, from the trailer i think its a whimsical Butterfly effect.

And that sounds pretty cool.