Lost (Possible Spoilers)

Tools    

But I still do like the show. Hmm. I guess the kid in me isn't such a stickler when it comes to pretend games.
I hate the show, and the kid that is me will never let that hatred die.

I had a dakimakura with Kate on it. Not gonna lie.

I guess I just accept a lot more crap in sci-fi so i can still enjoy the ride...
I resemble that remark.

I dunno though - would you have enjoyed say, a two-part finale that just went down the line explaining every little detail of the island? Would that have made for a decent ending? I'm not so sure...
Guess we'll never knoooooooowwww
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I hate the show, and the kid that is me will never let that hatred die.

I had a dakimakura with Kate on it. Not gonna lie.
You are a bitter, bitter man.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I sort of feel like Locke was a wasted character.
Don't know if wasted is what I would use, but I was not happy with the outcome of his character. It's one of the most disappointing elements of the show to me.

You probably have a MUCH more extensive physics knowledge base than I do, so maybe my ignorance there served as a bit of a buffer in suspending my disbelief.
Dear god man, I've taken basic mechanics and e&m... That's as much as pretty much everyone takes. and no one works with time travel but the very top people... and even they don't work on it seriously

I guess I figured you would dislike it because of the ham-fisted use of many of the philosophies you love so. For me, the use os the material served as an inspiration to look more into it, but since you studied the field in school (still doing so?), I could definitely see you shredding the sort of loosely placed Panopticon concepts etc. I eat that **** up!
don't know why but I never responded to Lost on a secondary level, because the surface narrative was so dense

apparently that density was just "filler to hook the audience"

I did write something up about it months ago and put it on a blog which I got rid of. Might reread it and post it here now that I think about it....

I dunno though - would you have enjoyed say, a two-part finale that just went down the line explaining every little detail of the island? Would that have made for a decent ending? I'm not so sure...
No it wouldn't have been good. I don't really know how it could have been good with the way they structured the whole season. They would have had to start doing stuff from episode one of that season to make it acceptable. Which they didn't at all.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Do people not like mysteries anymore? I thought the time travel stuff was explained sufficiently enough.

I would have like to have seen a bit more on the smoke monster though. There was one scene I REALLY wanted to see, but the show never bothered to go there. It would be Jacob's first encounter with the smoke monster in his brother's form. Now THAT would have been a cool scene.

As for the rest of the show, I would have been satisfied if it ended with season 5, that would have been a ballsy move. More so than Sopranos me thinks.

Suspect's Reviews

Hella ballsy. It definitely would've gone down in history as one of the greatest ever after that. Now I think it might just be remembered for being fun but a cop out. I tend to not want to remember it at all.

It had great character moments at the end of that season too. I felt like everyone went through a lot that season. Not too much even happened character wise in season six to be perfectly honest.

Meh, I still like it. The only bitter taste left was with Locke, felt cheated by the end of his arch and him being Smokey just seemed like a way to shoe horn Terry to stay in the show. Would have rather if they kept the MiB playing him instead that nonsense 'stuck' in that form. Most bits I could deduce an explanation for, except that. The only cop-outs I really felt were killing of main characters needlessly, just to streamline the focus on the central characters for the last few episodes.

I took it as once he found the loop hole, he was stuck in that form.

But I agree, about the characters being killed off needlessly. Look at Sayid.

A system of cells interlinked
Chronos & Kairos

Anyone familiar with these concepts? As I watch the show, I have been considering the time shifts that start with Desmond, and i like the idea that the people stuck in time are living chronologically, while the folks that come "unstuck" in time begin perceiving their lives in Kairological time...

that's what she said...
I just HAD to share... Just watched LOST seasons 1-6 (took me two weeks) and I CRYED durring the last episode. It was so emotional. The whole tv show was AMAZING! One of the best and most origianal in my opinion. Too bad there will be more seasons but yeah, that was a great show

Lindelof comes clean, writers were making stuff up as they went along.

Highlights:

[Damon Lindelof and JJ Abrams] threw in lots of wild elements just because they never expected it to get on the air.

One of the main calling cards of the show — the flashbacks to characters’ lives before they crash landed on the island — was simply a way to cut away from the same old tropical locale.

If it seemed like the writers were making things up as they went along, by the way, they often were. And also? Lindelof tried to quit the show, again and again.

“‘There should be a hatch on this island! They spend the entire season trying to get it open. And there should be these other people on the island,’” Lindelof recalled Abrams saying. “And I’m like, ”We can call them The Others.’ And he’s like, ‘They should hear this noise out there in the jungle.’ And I’m like, ‘What’s the noise?’ And he’s like, ‘I don’t…know. They’re never going to pick this thing up anyway.’”

He said he agreed with critics who said the show could never last more than a season.<

I never thought that was really in doubt, or that it was a particularly scathing criticism. You can count on one hand the number of shows that were actually planned out significantly ahead of time.

That said, the quotes still sound a little facetious.

I was under the impression that most of the talent involved claimed that a large amount of the show was planned out since the beginning.

Quick Google search says I am not the only one that was under that impression.

I think the generally acknowledged stance on the forethought of the shows writing was it started circa Season 3 when they were given an end date and then plotted out accordingly. I think that explains the slightly ropey Season 2 and start of Season 3. Personally, I could definitely see the momentum pick up from that point. Of course a lot of stuff in the first Season would have been made-up as they went along, the whole first season was making the show up and developing itself.

A system of cells interlinked
Just finishing up season 4 with a friend that hasn't seen the show. Still very entertaining and incredibly thought provoking. my friend has already stated that, no matter how it ends, the show has inspired so many great conversations for us, it's all been worth it already.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I ordered the first season a few days ago, and have already watched the first few episodes, but I already love it.

This show is very nostalgic for me.Couple years ago,I used to watch it on TV,there was one episode each week and it was so captivating - probably the most intriguing TV show I've seen.But then,I don't remember why,I stopped watching it.So a few weeks ago,I remembered LOST and rewatched it from beginning to the end.

And to conclude,I think that the show started going downhill after season 3.Season 4 was a bit worse than the first three but it brought new characters which I personally liked (Miles and Faraday) but season 5 was so disappointing for me.It just seemed over the top not only because of the science fiction which was introduced but also it was just messy,it started raising more questions and keeping more loose ends.Season 6 was a bit better but overall I think that the first 3 seasons were much much better.

I was surprised by Michael Emerson who played Benjamin Linus.That was a great acting performance and it is my favorite character of the show (which also was a bit ruined somewhere in season 4-6).Maybe this actor just found "his" role but I think he has potential.As for characters,I also liked Faraday,Miles and Sawyer.However,unlike the most people,I disliked Desmond a lot - he actually annoyed me.

Overall,really entertaining and captivating show,I would recommend it.

Lost will always be a special TV show for me, the first real show that I properly got into, as soon as I started watching it I fell in love and was amazed by it, especially the first two seasons, then I loved the others like Ben and that. The time travel stuff I was okay with, I think they explained it well, and going back to the origins of Dharma and then Jacob was a good idea. Whilst I think the last season wasn't very good when compared to the earlier seasons I didn't hate it, although the parallel happy universe thing was pointless.

Also the fact that they were making it up as they were going along I always thought was obvious at times despite them denying it and referring to the two skeletons in the first season. The most obvious case of this is the part where Ben takes Lost to that cabin where Jacob is meant to be and we see some man in a beard in a chair flash and then when Ben gets back to Richard he tells him a message delivered by Jacob which does clearly not fit in with the real character of Jacob and what we are shown in the final season.

I LOVED season 5 because of the time travel element. It was a ballsy move for a mainstream show and asked a lot from its viewers to keep up. I loved the rules introduced, what the consequences were, etc.

Season 6 was the worst in my opinion. It felt like a totally different show. Introducing important things with only 2 or 3 episodes left, not answering more questions, blah, blah, blah. Although it does have Ab Aeterno, one of my favourite episodes, The Richard centric one. Also, any episode with Titus Welliver is aces in my books.