Good Female lead recommendations

Tools    

First of all, hi to all, this is my first post.

I was wondering whether you guys could suggest movies with a sort of young, quirky female lead. For example, Sam in Garden State, Em in Adventureland, whoever Zooey plays in 500 days of summer. I just think they are very interesting characters, and I like the movies because of those characters, not necessarily the plots. And I already plan on watching Juno, Nick and norah, and Eternal sunshine, so I'm looking beyond those.

Like I mentioned, I don't really care if the plots are similar, or whether the films are similar. I know if the female lead is the similar, the movies will all have things in common, but what I mean is, when I looked through the "similar to garden state/adventureland" thread, many of those recommended movies are based of the ideas of like coming to age, or coming home, first love, teen indies. They were more based on the plots or aspects of the plots, and I'm looking more to the characters in the plot.

I know that these will tend to be more romantic movies, but I'm not looking for just a Dear john or the notebook type of thing, if it has to be a romance, I'd prefer it be lighter like the ones I have mentioned. Also outside of the genre of romance would be nice too, maybe I could regain some sense of masculinity.

Anyways, I guess this is just a phase, its been a slow summer for me, and I really enjoyed watching Natalie Portman in Garden state, so I just want to see what else is out there. Thanks a bunch guys, I look forward to seeing your recommendations. And sorry for the long post.

Breakfast Club
Darwin Awards
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Contact
Almost Famous
Jerry Maguire
Bridget Jones' Diary
Planet of the Apes (Original movie. Female Ape... nice character.)
Rear Window
The Third Man

Semper Fooey
Thelma and Louise

Terms of Endearment

Heathers

Girl Interrupted

Pretty in Pink

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Tank Girl

Miyazaki films.

A mix of Teen leads from all genres

Show me love (a mofo favorite)
Ghost World
Blue Car
The Effects of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds
The Secret life of Bees
The Sweet Hearafter
American Beauty
The Bridge to Terabithia
Mean girls
Saved!
Clueless
Carrie
Hard Candy (tee hee!)
The Opposite of Sex

post-teens:
The Spitfire Grill
Muriel's Wedding
Under the Skin
The Snapper

Thanks guys, I will definitely check some of these movies out, and I appreciate all your help.

However, I do notice that some of these are older films, and I was looking for movies that may be more contemporary. Are there more of those movies out?

Thanks again.

The character Marty (Natalie Portman) in Beautiful Girls.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Hmm.. Amelie. Keep with French films, Jules et Jim. Honestly, amazing film.

have you seen "he was a quite man", thats a very quircky film set in a typically partitioned office in america, its not centered on a female but has a sureal female character {elisha cuthburt}. lookout for films with heather graham and marisa coughlan.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Thanks guys, I will definitely check some of these movies out, and I appreciate all your help.

However, I do notice that some of these are older films, and I was looking for movies that may be more contemporary. Are there more of those movies out?

Thanks again.
May I ask how old you are?

what are you referring to as older films?

This is an older movie , but Splendor In The Grass has a young Natalie Wood and she is brilliant in this movie. You may also enjoy The Notebook with Rachel McAdams.

Irene in Time
All my friends are funeral singers
Laurel Canyon
Me and You and Everyone we know
Home (the French Film or the Marcia Gay Hardin film)
Kick-Ass
Let the Right One In

Hope these are to your liking!

quirky female leads? Well you need to check out anything with Wynona Rider or Goldie Hawn in it.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

A Love Song For Bobby Long
(a lot of people hate this film though, for general reasons)

they came to mind first. sorry if its a little cliche