2010 Best Supporting Actress Oscar

Tools    

Cast a MoFo vote for Oscar's Best Supporting Actress...
8.33%
1 votes
Penélope Cruz, NINE
8.33%
1 votes
Vera Farmiga, UP IN THE AIR
8.33%
1 votes
Maggie Gyllenhaal, CRAZY HEART
0%
0 votes
Anna Kendrick, UP IN THE AIR
75.00%
9 votes
Mo'Nique, PRECIOUS
12 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five women nominated for this year's Best Supporting Actress Oscar. But which one gets your vote?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Gotta watch Precious before I vote.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

She'll probably win, and she may deserve it (dunno yet), but it strikes me as hopelessly stupid that we have to address her by her stage name. I realize lots of stars have stage names, but really? Inserting random punctuation and a needless capital letter? Is it so important that you never be confused with all the pitiful mortals known only as "Monique"?

Considering she's won most every award so far leading up to the Oscars, there's no reason to think Mo'Nique won't win with the Academy voters, too. Incredibly fierce and frightening performance, definitely hard to forget, and while Precious has gotten lots of nominations all season it seems that this stand-up comedianne and sitcom star turned actress who had done nothing in her career that might have hinted she could play such a brutal character, Mo'nique has been singled out as the way this movie is going to be honored, awards-wise.

But there are four other actors in the category, even if they don't seem to have a shot.

Penélope Cruz just won in this category last year, for Woody Allen's Vicky Christina Barcelona, and makes her third nomination overall (also Best Actress for Volver). Her scenes in the disappointing Nine are definitely among the film's best, including her playfully sexy Musical number in lingerie, but I thought she was much better in Almodóvar's Broken Embraces this year. Oh, well. It's definitely not the kind of performance that is going to net her back-to-back wins, but I've always liked her so I'm glad she's getting nominated.

Maggie Gyllenhaal has been a favorite of indie and Hollywood filmmakers ever since her 2002 breakthrough in Secretary but this is her first Oscar nomination. I think it's easy to argue that she is the female lead in Crazy Heart, especially when she had a hilarious true supporting-sized role this year in Away We Go. But they figured she'd have a better chance at making the cut on the supporting side, and I guess they were right. Too bad for her it's Mo'Nique's year. But you gotta figure she'll be back.

Co-stars in the same category often cancel each other out when it comes to voting, though certainly there are some memorable exceptions to that rule (F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce, Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger, and so on). Since Mo'Nique is such a heavy favorite anyway it probably won't matter much that Up in the Air's Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick appear on the same ballot (and of course these are the first nominations for both). Kendrick's character starts so uptight and gets to go through a nice little transformation which may nab her some consideration, while Farmiga's character is so sexy and fun but has a secret to reveal in the final act. Clooney has more of a chance at walking up to the stage come Oscar night, but both of these actresses will be happy to use their nominations as runways to other opportunities.

I don't really have a problem with any of the five nominees in this category, I think they were all strong. But other worthy performances this year included both Mélanie Laurent and Diane Kruger in Inglourious Basterds (though you could argue Lauren is the female lead), Emily Blunt as Amy Adams' more troubled sister in Sunshine Cleaning, Blanca Portillo trying to care for her blinded ex after an infidelity in Broken Embraces, as I said already Maggie Gyllenhaal as a militant New Age mother in Away We Go, Samantha Morton as a war widow in The Messenger, Heather Graham was sexy and funny in The Hangover, Mimi Kennedy was hilarious as a State Department official fighting to be In the Loop, while Patricia Clarkson was given some pretty telegraphed machinations in Woody Allen's Whatever Works as the title says she made the most of it, Blake Lively was very strong as the teenage version of the character in The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, and Julianne Moore made the most of her few scenes in Pippa Lee and was terrific in a larger role for A Single Man.