The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
Final Fantasy 7
Dynasty Warriors 5
And on Thursday I'm finally getting my PSP and Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core. My life is getting more complete. Yay!!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ive been playing lego Indy at the moment and I cant wait to finish star wars so I can play that more.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Let's get a chick in here, okay, to balance out all this oozing testosterone....

I've got about four characters at different stages in Guild Wars (one in pre-searing, one in post-searing, two in Factions, and two in Nightfall ... and I have Eye of the North but haven't installed it yet). I mostly like playing as a Ranger.

Aside from that, I used to play the Myst games while they were big.

Now I have a collection of adventure/action games that's just hit 100 exactly when I got Dracula: Origins and Sherlock Holmes Nemesis a few weeks ago. I'm trying to finish the rather bland Secret Files of Tunguska right now and will probably go back to Sherlock Holmes: The Awakening (borrowed from Yoda), and then Dracula....

And I'm patiently (or not so patiently anymore) awaiting the arrival of Remedy's Alan Wake game for Vista and Xbox ... but there's never been a release date for the thing so the word "vaporware" has just begun to float around. Hate to see that happen -- the game looks amazing.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The only thing I'm looking forward to is Fallout III but dunno whether to get it for PC or PS3. My PC can finally handle the no doubt massive system requirements but, as it's built on the Oblivion engine, I much prefer playing that particular game on a console with a gamepad rather than keyboard/mouse and sitting back on the couch rather than hunched over a monitor.

The PC edition will probably look a bit better and run slightly faster though. Gah!

You do realize you can buy game controllers for PCs, right?

I prefer my computer to a living room mostly -- then again, most of the stuff I play IS for the PC alone. And of course, if I upgrade the computer, I can still reinstall the games. When you guys get new consoles, you often have to buy new games ... and they usually cost more for consoles.

But I digress.... I admit it's fun when Yoda brings his Wii over here and I watch my daughter sit lazily curled up on the couch ... playing "tennis"! Yeah, exercise, my arse!

The People's Republic of Clogher
You do realize you can buy game controllers for PCs, right?
But native support for them on the PC is dying out. I've got an adapter for the PC and a PS2 controller and there's a handy freeware program called Xpadder which strives to map out keys for games which don't tow the line.

Something like Oblivion, while it works with a gamepad/Xpadder, works pretty poorly.

Let's get a chick in here, okay, to balance out all this oozing testosterone....
I'm HERE!!

Its not a video game, but a PC game.

Assassin's Creed.

Power hungry. Resource intensive. (Had to go buy a $200 PCIe graphics card ) But after you get past the initial bore of the vid sequences and odd keyboard/mouse play - quite entertaining!!

Can somebody suggest and economical yet good joystick/controller for PCs?

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Max Payne for the pc is so cool never seen anything like it fun to play, also heros. Persona3 ( hope I spelled that right ) its by far one of the best games I've played!

Max Payne for the pc is so cool never seen anything like it fun to play, also heros. Persona3 ( hope I spelled that right ) its by far one of the best games I've played!

awww man! I picked it up cheap for the PS2 months ago, and havent even opened the box. Probably because I remember not being able to get out of the surreal dream he was in running down the lines trying to find the crying baby....

Heroes? really? Ive always veered away from games that follow a tv series, because I thought it would be weird. It isnt?

A system of cells interlinked
LT is talking about the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Turn based strategy stuff. Super addicting, for sure.

As for Max Payne, you mention the only flaw I had found with the first game, the silly tight rope dreams. Part II also features a couple of levels that are surreal dreams, but they are MUCH more well done, with no foolish balancing act to deal with. In fact, it is some of the best surreal stuff I have seen in a game to date.

You know, I've heard of Heroes of Might and Magic - it looks a lot like the old Lord of Magic game that was a lot of fun. I have Max Payne 2. Maybe I'll skip game #1!

Fair enough on the controller issue, Taccy. I just used mine for the small amount of time I tried playing Indigo Prophecy. Even my controller-savvy kids got frustrated with those controls and gave up. Too bad because it looked to be a fun interactive movie/game idea.

A system of cells interlinked
Loved Indigo Prophecy. I am wondering why you guys had such problems with the controls. Were you playing the PC version with a controller? The controls worked well for me (PS2), although there were a couple of timing mini games that were a bit tough near the end of the game. I am thinking the PC port somehow gaffed up the control scheme or something. Both versions are rated pretty highly on all the sites though; it seems like they would have mentioned a control problem with the PC port...

Well, not a problem -- as in "something doesn't work the way they want." More like, "We all HATE the way they've set up the controls to work." None of us (several of whom are avid console players) liked or could get used to just HOW you did things. And so, for instance, I had trouble not getting arrested in the snow in the very beginning. Gracie had better luck for a while, but even she said it just wasn't the least bit intuitive. Same with Jeremy.

And frankly, if you're constantly thinking about the controls and which buttons to push in what order and just button-mashing all the time ... well, frankly, to me that's not a game anymore. It's just frustrating.

And so we put it back down and I uninstalled it.

FWIW, I did check around online at PC gaming sites for helps and tips -- and along the way discovered that MANY folks playing on the PC, at least, also HATED the controller issues with this one game. I'm by no means alone in my assessment.

Pity, because the concept seemed so cool.

Devil May Cry 4- one of the worst games i played. Hideous graphics and design, boring gameplay, cringe-worthy dialogue. And i liked the last 3. Started replaying it and can't get back into it but then, wasn't hooked to start with. Only playing as feel obliged to considering own the game.

I recently beat BioShock. I'm thinking of buying a PSP for Crisis Core and Star Ocean: First Departure....

And has anyone seen Dead Space? Looks pretty awesome.