The MoFo Personal Pictures Thread

Tools    

Yes I think babies, boys and girls, wore dresses in those days; perhaps a sign of wealth, I'm sure there is a name for the garb, but I forget it right now. Also, I think babies wore rings on their fingers when they were old enough--could be wrong but I thought I read it somewhere.

Boys and girls did wear dresses back then... which made it hard to tell who was the boy and who was the girl in a lot of the old pictures...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Arent those dresses worn when a child is baptized? Im not that informed on religion, but ive seen lots of pictures of dutch boys in dresses (i dont know the english word for it, in dutch it is called a 'doopkleed')

And do check my "art": Deviant

My life isn't written very well.
Ah yes! Now I see. The cute little one is wearing a very finely made dress of lace, which by the way wasn't the cheap kind you find in Chinatown today, it was very expensive in those days--maybe even imported depending on where you're from. Also notice Marc's father is wearing a necklace gold or silver I'll presume--both only afforded by the wealthy. Can you imagine letting a child that age wear a necklace nowadays? And photography, ha! Another sign of being in the upper class.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My dad's dad was a prison guard in Kansas (!), and his mom was a housewife/mom. He had three sisters. I'm not sure how they could be upper class. Although my dad did graduate from high school and go to college for a bit, he quit in the twenties to help support the family.

oh. Well, maybe this stuff was handed down by your grandparents...? Off topic: Where are you from?

You may not believe this, but I'm from Compton (and my mom was born in Watts - it says so on her birth certificate), so that means I'm a Californian. My daughter is a fifth generation Californian on my side. My dad moved with his family from Kansas to California for high school, and that's where he met my mom at Jordan High School in Los Angeles. OK, stalkers, that's enough for now.

Ok, I'm COMPLETELY WRONG Marc! Sorry read this:
From this site: http://www.spinningtheweb.org.uk/m_d...Childrens+wear

Babies 1890 - 1940
The major revolution in babies wear in this period was the introduction of terry towelling for nappies and the first pairs of rubber pants. Babies were no longer swaddled ('long clothes' were worn for the first few months of life) but dressed in smock shaped 'shortening' dresses which reached only to the baby's ankle instead of trailing. These dresses, in white or cream cotton fabrics, had small yokes and long sleeves and were trimmed at the hem with embroidery or hand made lace. The 'New American Shape' had no bodice and the yoke ended at the armholes. Raglan sleeves were used for dresses and nightgowns. Babies wore flannel or cambric cloaks with hoods and decorative bibs with popular slogans or characters of the day. The invention of iron-on embroidery transfers in the 1890s enabled busy mothers to trim and decorate their babies' outfits cheaply. Romper suits first appeared around 1919 at the end of the Great War. During the 1920s the pram 'took over in status from the length of the carrying shawl'. Matching bonnets and matinee jackets became popular as only the top half of the baby could be seen in the pram. About this time the convention of pink for a girl and blue for a boy appeared.

But I'm still gonna look into that necklace....

I'm not worried; I'm prepared. (I've got that nightstick from my great grandpa. ,
although I've never used it yet.) My house is kind of a trap actually, but that's just a coincedence. Nobody in any state of mind would come over this way if they didn't know me.

I'm not worried; I'm prepared. (I've got that nightstick from my great grandpa. ,
although I've never used it yet.) My house is kind of a trap actually, but that's just a coincidence. Nobody in any state of mind would come over this way if they didn't know me.
I dunno, you're sounding rather suspicious, now. Nightstick, house like a maze . . . You don't have a machete anywhere in there, do you?!?

I was afraid I might sound that way, but actually I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac, so unless you live in the area, are proselytizing, or are really lost, you wouldn't end up on my street.

actually I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac.

DITTO...
I might not know where you are, but we think alike, I mean isn't it great how you can park Willy-nilly and also just put your garbage can wherever? Being at the end of something (cul-de-sac or whatever) is refreshing for some middle-agers...oh you do not have a monoploy on life my friend oh no.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Boys and girls did wear dresses back then... which made it hard to tell who was the boy and who was the girl in a lot of the old pictures...
I've seen a picture of my uncle at a similar age to Mr Eff's dad and, believe me, he's looking even more girlie than the picture shown here - long blonde hair and a dress. My uncle's just in his early 60s now so the practise isn't that old.

He was from a traditional rural family, dunno if that made a difference or not. I very much doubt if my dad's crowd (Belfast shipyard workers) would have allowed my old man to be seen in that gear. I'm pretty sure he was born with a cig in his hand, leering at women...

Further to Mark's pops photo - which was gorgeous btw. He's wearing a beautiful smock which looks to me like it's made of broderie anglaise . Possibly his christening gown as suggested by Veronica and maybe the necklace is a baptism medal (were they Catholic Mark?) or maybe just a family heirloom just for the photograph - don't forget that in those days having a photo done was a very special occasion.

Here's one of my grandad in 1905 also wearing a dress!

Me last week, having coffee with friends
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	me.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	6079  

MovieForums Extra
There you are darlin'. Forgot its summer down there. We're still here in 100" of snow. Take care.

I'm still looking for some of my old photos, but I do have some from our last big vacation to New Zealand in August 2005.

This is on the southernmost part of the South Island. In fact, it wasn't too far from here that we encountered...

...a very scared and lonely little fellow. This undoubtedly explains the following:

Brenda actually has this sign on a T-Shirt.

Since New Zealand is as close to Antarctica as you can get, all the major explorations launched to conquer the South Pole started here. Hence, they have the International Antarctic Centre in Christchurch. They have a room where the temperature goes down to -18 degrees Celsius with 40mph winds. Needless to say, I wore shorts inside.

We also cruised the fjord at Milford Sound. This is Milford Harbor, with Mitre Peak on the right.

We also saw one of the most spectacular rainbows at Taupo on the North Island.

Believe it or not, we do take plenty of photos of people too, even if they don't especially like me to post them. This is at Rotorua at the Maori Cultural Center. The geyser is Pohutu, which means "Big Splash". Yes, Brenda (in her Indiana Jones hat), Sarah, and your humble photographer all got splashed.

I had better end before everybody gets too bored. This is Sarah and me at Haku Falls, not too far from that rainbow.