Captain America

Tools    

among dozens other superhero movies

i cant wait for this one

while not my favorite hero in Marvel U. i totally love Captain America

and if they cast him well and with David S. Goyer writing it its gonna be great

so far its scheaduled for 2009 but i'm sure thats gonna change

What about an Avengers movie? Xmen is doing so well that it just seems natural.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally Posted by the-bitterness
Correction X-Men was doing well. One thing needs to be considered about all comic books turned movies. You can't rush it.

The end result is never pretty, and it turns a good idea into a bad egg.

Out of all the comic to movie productions, Spider-Man is doing the best. Simply because Sam Raimi is taking the time to make sure that the films do the comic justice.

Others may have flashy special effects, but that means nothing when nobody is going to watch it.

I say bad idea!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Beware The Probe!
A Captain America movie could rock if done properly.
In the regular Marvel Universe he's as skilled as Batman with the same boyscout attitude as Superman but we have to remember he IS a soldier bred for warfare and that seems to be missed alot in both the comic books and cartoons and movies of the past.

My only question about this is should it be the regular Captain America or the Ultimate Cap from Marvel's Ultimate line-up?
Personally, I'm thinking any Captain America movie, the Ultimate version would be the way to go.

Originally Posted by the-bitterness
The Ultimates comic book IS an Avengers movie.
If you read it you'll know what I'm talking about.
The entire series could translate beautifully into a big screen production but it wouldn't be for the kiddies.

After watching the Special Features on the Ultimate Avengers 2 DVD last month (which, by the way unlike the comic book, is totally oriented towards the kiddies) I was teased by a story about the creation of the Ultimates comic book and was so intrigued I had to go out and buy some.

I just finished off reading all the Ultimates I could get my hands on.
I simply loved Loved LOVED this series and once I started it, I couldn't put it down.
When it first came out a few years ago I missed the first few issues and couldn't get into the story which ties into 6-7 issue groups.
Now that they're all out on trade paperback I couldn't resist spending the $25-$30 a pop for all 3 books.

The thing about this series to me is how it feels like a big Hollywood version of what an Avengers blockbuster movie could be with an R rating.
The original characters from Marvel have their own personal problems but in the Ultimate universe those problems have been sent into overdrive.
Lots of violence here from Captain America's WW II super-soldier battles against the Nazis where Cap actually does his soldier duty and kills people to the current rampaging of the Hulk where hundreds of people will actually die whenever he gets lose (how that never happens in the regular Marvel universe I'll never know). This Hulk is no hero. He not only kills anyone who gets in his way but he will eat them when he can too and has rape fantasies about his alter-ego's girlfriend Betty Ross.

A lot of the main characters aren't even very likable since they seem to posess the personalities of very real people in today's world.
Banner is an actual scrawnny twerp here too (he was likened to Woody Allen and Steve Bucemi by team-mates) and is treated like dirt by his own girlfriend, Betty who wishes he was more of a man. That, of course lead to Banner's experiments with the super-soldier formula which aided in the creation of the Hulk.
Giant Man is a wife-beater and has had some pretty vicious encounters with his wife, the Wasp.
Iron Man is an alcoholic womanizer.
Thor is a hippie peace activist with the power of a Norse god. (probably my favorite character in this group so far)
Black Widow... well, without spoiling anything let's just say she's a major b!tc#.
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are a strange pair but I haven't seen enough of them to figure out what they're all about. I get the feeling that they'd both like to live on a desert island alone together and be away from everyone else in their own little world though.
Hawkeye is like an uber-secret agent or something. I mean, damn... Captured and beaten by terrorists and he escapes by breaking off his own fingernails to use as weapons to kill his captors with a few flicks of his fingers. Hardcore.
I definately like this version of Nick Fury more than the original one. Modelled after Samuel L. Jackson, the man is one bad mother****er.

If you haven't read this series yet... Get out there and buy it now!!!!

The Ultimates are a group of fictional characters, a government-sponsored team of superheroes in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, appearing primarily in their self-titled comic book limited series The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2, published by Marvel Comics.
Each twelve-issue miniseries is regarded as a "season" of the same title. The team is a re-imagining of the Marvel Universe superhero team, the Avengers.

The tone of the story is widely considered to be darker, more cynical, and more cinematic than most traditional comic books. A prominent theme is the scope and legitimacy of state power, with superheroes - or "persons of mass destruction" as they are described in the series - acting as metaphors for the immense resources of a modern superpower. In this respect, it resembles The Authority, a comic book series that both Hitch and Millar have each worked on, though at different times.

SPOILERS

Ultimates Volume 1
Super-Human (#1-6)

The team is initially formed by General Fury and the national security agency S.H.I.E.L.D. in response to the emergence of supervillians, specifically to Magneto's attack on the White House in Ultimate X-Men. In order to recreate the "Super Soldier Serum" that turned Steve Rogers into Captain America, General Nick Fury recruits elite scientists Bruce Banner - whose estranged fiancée Betty Ross is Fury's PR assistant - and Janet and Hank Pym. The fact that all three individuals have superpowers as well is an additional asset to the cause. Surprisingly, billionaire playboy Tony Stark joins the team, donning his "Iron Man" armor.

Then, there is a miracle: after fifty-seven years, scientists have retrieved the frozen body of Captain America out of the Arctic Ocean. Banner revives the Captain, however Captain America is convinced that he has fallen into Nazi hands and quickly tries to escape. He is stopped by Hank Pym, aka Giant-Man. "Cap" has an emotional reunion with his old friends Bucky Barnes and Barnes' wife - and Cap's ex-fiancée - Gail. Then Fury tries to recruit a super-powered anti-establishment crusader named "Thor." Thor declines, contending that the Ultimates are to be lackeys of a corrupt superpower.

The Ultimates' first enemy comes from within. After being constantly rebuked by Betty Ross, and overhearing a conversation between Fury and the Pyms where he was made into a laughingstock, Banner finally snaps and takes action. To give his team an enemy to fight against (as well as missing the personal empowerment of being the Hulk), he recreates the Hulk and goes on the rampage, devastating much of Manhattan and causing horrific casualties in his wake. Thanks to judicious use of public relations spin, the quelled disaster comes off as a victory for The Ultimates -- hailed as heroes for subduing the Hulk. Later, Stark invites the team over to his Park Avenue home for a black-tie dinner. Thor and Steve Rogers are the first to arrive. However, the team suffers from inner turmoil as tensions between Janet and Henry Pym result in Pym violently assaulting his wife. Tony Stark also reveals that he has an inoperable brain tumor.

Ultimates Volume 2
Homeland Security (#7-13)

Captain America tracks and finds Hank Pym, who has gone into hiding after beating his wife Janet. The Captain beats Pym to a pulp, despite the fact that Pym grew to giant size in the practically one-sided fight. However, when Captain America visits Janet afterwards, the news makes her even sadder.

In the meantime, the decades-long covert war between the human race and the shape-changing extraterrestrials known as the Chitauri (loosely based on the original Marvel aliens the Skrulls) comes to a head as the Chitauri infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D., sending S.H.I.E.L.D.'s best agents and The Ultimates together on a wild-goose chase to Micronesia, which turns out to be a massive booby trap, while the Chitauri secretly conquer the world.

When the Ultimates escape the Chitauri's trap, the aliens prepare to begin their plans for world domination from an infiltrated military base in Phoenix, Arizona. However, a fleet of Chitauri motherships suddenly arrive, bringing news that their enemies across the galaxy have been fighting back, and that they had been driven to the backwater of the galaxy. Instead of taking over Earth, the Chitauri leadership decides to set off a device that will obliterate the solar system and retreat to the "lower fourth dimension." In the final clash between The Ultimates and the Chitauri, Bruce Banner is thrown out of an aircraft - deliberately provoking his transformation into the Hulk. Manipulated by the battlefield strategies of Captain America, the Hulk "victoriously" deals a decisive blow to the alien threat by literally devouring the Chitauri leader, while Thor teleports the alien explosive device into another dimension (the wastes of Nastrond, home of Fafnir the Dragon) where it detonates safely. The story ends with Captain America and the Wasp coming together, despite the attempts of a deeply rueful Hank Pym to make amends.

Ultimates 2 Volume 1
Gods And Monsters (#1-6)

It has been a year since the Chitauri invasion and things are starting to look bad for The Ultimates. Cap is sent into Iraq to defuse a hostage situation. This incident prompts Thor to leave the team and talk of a conspiracy to get The Ultimates to enter conflict in the Middle East. Jan and Cap are also dealing with the generational gap between them. Dr. Banner is regularly being visited by Hank, who join together to work on more super soldiers. Tony and Natasha have entered into a relationship. Thor is told by Volstagg in a restaurant that Loki is on the loose and plans to stop Thor's mission before a waiter tells Thor he is talking to no one. Soon, things go very bad as Banner's connection to the Hulk is exposed. Both Cap and Fury suspect Thor, but the Norse god denies it. During the trial, Matt Murdock gives an impressive defense, but Banner is still sentenced to death. After the trial Banner is tricked into drinking a sedative by Fury and brought to a carrier to be nuked. It was later revealed that at the last minute, Banner Hulks out and survives, calling Hank to thank him.

The Ultimates' next goal is containing Thor, who they believe is becoming more violent. Fury takes the team to meet the super soldier wing of the European Defense Initiative to plan Thor's capture. Thor's "brother", Dr. Gunnar Golmen (Loki in disguise), tells the team that Thor is actually an insane ex-nurse named Thorlief who stole Gunnar's bio-mechanical hardware to become Thor. The team, along with the European super soldiers, go off to arrest Thor. The ensuing battle begins in Thor's favor, but he is eventually captured when Quicksilver takes his belt, the source of Thor's powers. Thor is put in Banner's old cell where Loki taunts him and tells him of a traitor in The Ultimates' ranks. Meanwhile, Fury brings Cap, Tony and Hawkeye into his office to say that something's happened in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, Hank Pym has been fired by Fury and is joining an amateur group of wannabe superheroes called the Defenders. Hank and The Defenders plan a bust against a gang who are stealing cigarettes. However, the bust goes horribly and Hank is photographed naked on the front page of The Daily Bugle. Later Hank meets with the traitor in the Ultimates who states that he / she is doing so because of an opposition to American foreign policy. The traitor then informs Hank that The Ultimates had just invaded a country in the Middle East.

Ultimates 2 Volume 2 (currently at issue#11)
Grand Theft America (#7-13) (Ongoing)

Weeks after The Ultimates laid siege to a Middle Eastern nuclear facility and destroy all of the warheads, Hawkeye and his family are attacked in their home. The attackers kill Laura and Callum Barton and presumably Hawkeye. After reviewing the security tape of the attack Nick Fury becomes convinced that Captain America is responsible. After being defeated by The Ultimate Reserves, Captain America is sent to the Triskelion for containment. In fact, Hawkeye was not killed but captured and tortured, and the true traitor on the team was Black Widow.

After obtaining the security codes for the Triskelion from Hawkeye, an anti-American terrorist organization is able to cripple the station's defenses, and then immediately follows up with a massive attack on America. Every major city in the country, including Washington D.C., is taken over by footsoldiers wearing suits that give them flight and low level super-strength, and at the head of the superhuman army are the Liberators. America is seized in less than an hour. Black Widow kills Jarvis by shooting him in the head. Nick Fury's right arm is torn off. The Rocketmen and Giant-men are overwhelmed and killed and the Statue of Liberty is toppled.

The American government is overthrown, and Hank Pym, who is now working with The Liberators, keeps the American populace in line using the Ultron robots he created. However, The Liberators appear to have made several critical errors in their plans: they underestimate Hawkeye, who kills all of his captors using his own fingernails as projectiles, Iron Man, who downloaded information on the Liberators out of Black Widow's brain before knocking her out with a champagne bottle and Wasp, who has hidden in Captain America's cell in the Triskellion. After being subdued, Wasp reveals to Schizoid Man that she had already released Captain America. Cap then proceeds to defeat all of Schizoid Man's replicas, freeing Wasp and leaving the Triskelion looking for Thor and any other survivors.

Thor, however is gone, apparently taken out of his cell by Odin. Meanwhile, Iron Man flies to an orbital space station to retrieve his most powerful suit. President Bush is captured by Perun and Crimson Dynamo, who have hijacked Air Force One. Captain America and the Wasp manage to make it to the White House and break in, only to find that Hawkeye has escaped along with Betty Ross, Scarlet Witch, Nick Fury and Quicksilver. The group managed to kill / immobolize 28 footsoldiers, but a fresh troop of Liberators fly in, along with The Abomination, Swarm and Hurricane. Captain America is flung through a wall and lands near a waiting Al-Rahman, who is eager to duel with him. Bruce Banner appears outside of the White House and, after one of Crimson Dynamo's robots steps on him, turns into the Hulk and tears the robot in half. It is evident that Banner is now in charge of his Hulk persona.

[/quote]

Honestly I hope they dont make it although it is rumoured to be released in 2009.
People tend to Forget It was already done back in 1991 with matt salinger playing the main role of good ole capn am and it was still a bloody good movie

Originally Posted by Remy LeBeau
Honestly I hope they dont make it although it is rumoured to be released in 2009.
People tend to Forget It was already done back in 1991 with matt salinger playing the main role of good ole capn am and it was still a bloody good movie

Are you high on crack? That '91 production of Captain America is an unwatchably awful borefest with a six-cent budget. Any two episodes of the '90s syndicated TV show "Renegade" with Lorenzo Lamas had better production values, better scripts and better acting...and I wouldn't force those on enemy combatants. It was a bloody turd, is what it was.

But hey, glad you enjoyed it. Did you think the "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." movie with David Hasselhoff was kick-ass, too?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
But hey, glad you enjoyed it. Did you think the "Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." movie with David Hasselhoff was kick-ass, too?
Heh, I caught the first few minutes of this the other day...Still recovering...

Beware The Probe!
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

Are you high on crack? That '91 production of Captain America is an unwatchably awful borefest with a six-cent budget. Any two episodes of the '90s syndicated TV show "Renegade" with Lorenzo Lamas had better production values, better scripts and better acting...and I wouldn't force those on enemy combatants. It was a bloody turd, is what it was.

Or let's not forget the Spiderman movie in '77 with Nicholas Hammond...

I love Captain America! I can't wait for this movie to come out. I really hope they do a good job with it.

I heard about this movie for a long time now. Granted it will be a good movie, but can they make this one seperate from the rest of the superhero movie's? We'll see.

who do u think would be the best for the main role?

Originally Posted by Remy LeBeau

i love this filma nd always have done. and i have to say in my entire life i think thsi is the only time i've seen someone other tahn myself with something good to say about it.

I remember seeing the 91 version of Captain America on HBO one time, I changed the channel real quick.

I've heard rumors about who'll play Cap, but doubt they're true. Should be interesting though.

yah, i really didnt like the 90s captain america. but the movie has change a lot this 21st century because of the intense graphics artrist and everything. ill be expecting a good one from this movie

Originally Posted by spudracer
...ok
didn't they try to make a CA movie years ago??? from what I can remember, I remember seeing a poster in the theater, and then nothing....I heard it got the axe, was supposed to be direct-to-dvd...then trashed altogether

Any word on Thor?

If you scroll up, you'll see that we were talking about the Captain America from the early 90's.

As for Thor, nada.

And please don't double-post.