What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Date Movie. It really sucked. And not sucked like Scary Movie funny sucked, but SUCKED.

The Hills have eyes- Hostel was a disney flick compared to this one.

www.panicattic.com - Check out the Q&A from Ethan Dettenmaier , director of Sin-Jin Smyth

Change that now. I just saw V for Vendetta. It was pretty good, the previews made it look SLIGHTLY better then it was...but only slightly.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Originally Posted by OG-
V for Vendetta

I burst out into a fit of laughter when there was a rain drop POV shot of Portman getting drenched - for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Oh, and of course it had to be intercut with V doing his impersonation of Darth Vader's Episode III scream of pain.
There actually was a reason for the raindrop POV, but I think of it this way - it could have been handled better, and if they weren't capable, shouldn't have been used at all.

The reason being metaphor (phoenix rising from the flames = washed by rain of God = seeing the light and your true self). But that metaphor required subtlety, and was given none. I shall write a separate review of things when I figure out how to make my own review thread. hee.

Originally Posted by Sedai

Anyone who is attempting to apply current US politics to this film, shouldn't, as it isn't, and never was, about the US, at all. This material was an extrapolation of Thatcher's government in the early 80s. Any similarities found with the current US political landscape is purely in the mind of the viewer.
wooah, I disagree. I think the makers made a very specific effort to use the American gov't in its satire, and I think they did it deliberately to manipulate their viewers. I think they used both UK and US government as part of their argument, and since they believed they were arguing for a higher "ideal" they manipulated as much as they could to support their storyline.

i think that manipulation was unnecessary and unwarranted, but definitely there. note, i'm not even pro-bush, i am very anti-bush, but i def saw things reminiscent of him. i also saw things reminiscent of hitler. this was a big grab bag meant to push all kinds of buttons.

again, to be discussed elsewhere.

but, note that there's the source material, and then there's the film. and since it's clear from all of the posts i've seen on this that the film strayed, i think we can consider it a possibility that our modern politics definitely infused the modern film in addition to the politics of the source material.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by thmilin
but, note that there's the source material, and then there's the film. and since it's clear from all of the posts i've seen on this that the film strayed, i think we can consider it a possibility that our modern politics definitely infused the modern film in addition to the politics of the source material.
Ah, a point I was going to raise myself. I haven't read the comic, but as everyone who has has pointed out, the film took remarkable liberties with it - but when the topic of the film's politics is brought up, the defense is that those weren't the politics in the 80s/comic, so they aren't the politics of the film. Unless the movie ticket comes with an accompaning copy of the comic, it is safe to say the two are entirely different entities.

In the Beginning...
They didn't take "remarkable" liberties with the source material. They made a few small to medium changes, but nothing major. Really, I think the whole bit about the "American War" was just a quick jab at Bush, and nothing more. Like I mentioned in the other thread, the Wachowskis had the opportunity to make a blatant commentary on the current state of political affairs in this country and elsewhere, but they didn't. They left the story the way it was - broad, hypothetical, and rooted in fantasy/fiction.

I saw Walk the Line it was great.

the last movie i saw at the theaters was the matador

You ready? You look ready.
Failure to Launch- It had its moments. A few of them at least. All in all it was, at best, a C+.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Saw American Dreamz last night. Very underwhelming, though it had some good chuckles throughout. If I get up the energy, I'll write some sort of review later.

GRADE: C-
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

thanks for that review holden...it looked interesting, now i'm having second thoughts

v for vendetta...very good acting especially hugo weaving (disappointed in the fact that you didn't see his face) anad natalie portman...

surprised me...didn't think that i would like it as much as i did and surprised at how relevant to today the politics are

supposed to be set in the future but did you see those dell monitors?

ummm

less blood than i thought...that made a big difference to me...

good photography and good story...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Inside Man

My favorite film of the year thus far, which is a very premature statement, but given my extreme love and respect for Aja's The Hills Have Eyes, its still an accomplishment.

I think this is a case of the perfect script finding the perfect guy. This movie couldn't be any sleaker...

Welcome to the human race...
Aeon Flux

Average googleplex fare. I guess I've seen worse though. For a similar, yet superior experience, check out Equilibrium.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Aeon Flux

Average googleplex fare. I guess I've seen worse though.
I felt, after the movie finish, if i see another person do back flipps i was going to

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
How about a true Scotsman in his kilt doing back-flips?

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?