Any Good Advice for a Camera?

Tools    

Can anybody give me advice on picking out a good video camera that has a pretty good price and is good for making movies, and do you think you can give me a picture of what it looks like would be good too.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Sony Vx 2000 you cant beat it.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I was going to ask the same question!

Just came onto this forum to post and bam, somebody has already asked, thanks

A system of cells interlinked
There is already a thread for this, but o well. Rico is spot on about the VX2000, it seems to be pretty sick. I guess the Canon XL2 is better, but it just came out, and costs quite a bit more.

For under 2k, there is also the Sony HDR-HC1, which is High Definition, but a single chip camera.

But, it's high def, so it works differently.

Here is a bit about the camera from camcorderinfo.com

If the HDR-HC1 is a sign of the future and subsequent Sony HDV consumer camcorders are made this well, Sony will be able to recapture the passion of serious video consumers which they’ve seemed to have lost in recent years. The camcorder performs excellently in normal light and very well in low light. In addition, the image is about 3x sharper, with 3x more pixels than a MiniDV signal. The video produced from the HDR-HC1 is gorgeous. It's some of the best video we've seen out of any camcorder on this market. You just can't get that much quality for that few dollars anywhere else. Nothing comes close and the HDR-HC1 even challenges Panasonic's PV-GS400 for the position of best value on the market today.

I was pointed in the direction of the Sony xl1, this being a cheaper camera?

I'm just curious, can anyone suggest me a fairly cheap camcorder?

A system of cells interlinked
I have been doing a TON of research on cameras, as I am in the market myself. For around 1k, it seems the panasonic GS-400 is hands down, the best value for the money, and i hear it has better low-light performance than the XL-1 (thanks Peter). I will probably get the GS 400 myself. For about 750$, check out the Panasonic GS 250, which is supposed to have a slick new menu system, a manual focus ring, and is getting great reviews all over.

Yeah, I was going for something cheaper like under $1000 bucks.