Slay's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Finding a way for members to search by film title and reviewer would be the most optimal. I often wish now that I had all my reviews in separate threads dedicated to themselves. One of the reasons is that when a reviewer incorporates pictures into their threads, it makes it take forever for some of the dial-up users to ever see it. Having individual threads makes that moot. Like you said; scrolling through a long thread that takes a long time for each page is a pain in the ass. I know there are a lot of my reviews that will never be read again because they are buried deep in my thread…I hate that.

If I could do it all over again…I would have a thread dedicated to my index. Nobody would post in that thread, but they could see when I update it and quickly see what I’ve done so far. Very much like what Delilah has done with hers, except I would make individual threads for my reviews instead of adding to my index. As far as the rating system goes…whatever. That sounds fine.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Absolute power corrupts absolutely?
Sort of, only applied to normal individuals empowered by technology as much as leaders. (at least i think that's what i meant )

I often wish now that I had all my reviews in separate threads dedicated to themselves.
Well, don't say that now that i've just compiled mine

If I could do it all over again…I would have a thread dedicated to my index. Nobody would post in that thread, but they could see when I update it and quickly see what I’ve done so far.
That'd definitely be class - coz having threads dedicated to each film is ideal for discussion - and having those combined by a list would still help out with what Seds said -> the ability to stumble onto loads of films you weren't looking for as well.

(****, i've just added an arrow to my armament of silly punctuation )

Altho, wait, now i'm thinking such a list should have a brief synopsis of each film/review to help casual browsers (and now i'm thinking people should be able to quibble over each definition Wikipedia style. Ahh, right, now i'm thinking it's time to stop thinking )

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I used to, but then I changed. If you check out my first review thread, you'll see I did it for all of them, but now, I'd rather people actually read my review to see whether I liked it or not...and to be perfectly honest, I don't write reviews for films I don't like anymore. My motive is to try and sell a movie to people. Limbo, in particular, has not been seen by hardly anyone on this board...I know of only three who have. But maybe I talked someone else into seeing this wonderful film.

Thanks for the comments...and check out my other thread...I always like to hear what people think.

I'm glad you're sticking around.
Ok, I was just wondering. i thought it might have to do with making sure people actually read the reviews but wasn't sure. I should have read your other reviews before asking. I'll do that now.

Pumpkin ***

Pumpkin is a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously, though it certainly pretends to...
Good review, I watched this one at random when i was home sick one day and really liked it. What do you think of Christina Ricci in general as an actress. She can be very attractive and sexy but imo, in terms of personality she often comes off as whiny and somewhat annoying in the movies I have seen her in. Then again I have not seen that much of her work. Do you have any recommendations of other good movies she has been in?

history *is* moralizing
Thanx Slay, wanna see it wanna see it wanna see it, though i do prefer Jena Malone and Alex Bledel... (but respect Xtinaa lot nevertheless)

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Do you have any recommendations of other good movies she has been in?
In my opinion, Pumpkin is Christina Ricci's best movie to date. Other good Ricci movies, in my opinion, are The Oppisite of Sex, Pecker, Sleepy Hollow, All Over The Guy (she's got a very small part but its still a good movie!), Anything Else, and Monster.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
The Opposite of Sex, Pecker, Sleepy Hollow, All Over The Guy (she's got a very small part but its still a good movie!), Anything Else, and Monster.
i wouldn't forget Prozac Nation (2001) !!!!!

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
i wouldn't forget Prozac Nation (2001) !!!!!
Prozac Nation still hasn't been released in the States, though it looks like it will finally get a cable TV and DVD release later this year.

I've seen it, and frankly it's a big disappointment and nothing special nor is it one of Ricci's better performances. Buffalo '66, The Ice Storm and The Opposite of Sex are her best so far.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

history *is* moralizing
you're right!, i forgot Buffalo '66 and The Ice Storm! (not sure, but i think i still haven't seen The Opposite of Sex) - i didn't find her bad at all in Prozac Nation though... but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
Good review, I watched this one at random when i was home sick one day and really liked it. What do you think of Christina Ricci in general as an actress. She can be very attractive and sexy but imo, in terms of personality she often comes off as whiny and somewhat annoying in the movies I have seen her in. Then again I have not seen that much of her work. Do you have any recommendations of other good movies she has been in?
In my opinion, Pumpkin is Christina Ricci's best movie to date. Other good Ricci movies, in my opinion, are The Opposite of Sex, Pecker, Sleepy Hollow, All Over The Guy (she's got a very small part but its still a good movie!), Anything Else, and Monster.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Buffalo '66, The Ice Storm and The Opposite of Sex are her best so far.
I have only seen a couple of films where she is the star. Ash and Holden have seen more, actually. Of the ones I’ve seen, I’d say Monster and Pumpkin are her best. I especially like her role in Monster. She scored 50/50 when it came to critics and audiences alike, but I thought she nailed the role perfectly.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
Thanx Slay, wanna see it wanna see it wanna see it, though i do prefer Jena Malone and Alex Bledel... (but respect Xtinaa lot nevertheless)
Thank you for replying, Chico (I know, it’s actually Chicago, but I read it this way first, and it’s stuck). You watch Gilmore Girls? Hmmm…you may be more perverted than me…I hate you!

Buffalo '66, The Ice Storm and The Opposite of Sex are her best so far.
i thought The Ice Storm was a big snoozer

i thought The Ice Storm was a big snoozer
But you also think Tombstone is a hoot and a half and Beaches is some sort or masterpiece, so I'll put that in proper perspective.

But you also think Tombstone is a hoot and a half and Beaches is some sort or masterpiece, so I'll put that in proper perspective.
I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth, for I never said one word to you or even on this forum about either of these movies, I just rated them. its called opinion, holden, im sure you know by now everyone has different tastes, and I certainly wasn't you putting down for liking the Ice Storm, so I would appreciate the same from you.

history *is* moralizing
oh *****, now i'll have to choose between Ash and Ice Storm!!

and Slay, yeah! i do watch Gilmore Girls, i love the mother and the daughter and... and... both together!

How about another review soon, I think we all love to read them Slayer. Ha! you have a new nickname! (if you don't mind sir.)

Thanks Strummer. I'm currently doing a write-up on all of Silver Bullet's short films. After that, I dunno. I really burnt out doing 'em.

Yeah you have written a lot of them, and you seem to put a lot of effort in. Choosing your words all carefully and whatnot. They must have taken a while to write.

They weren’t too bad to write until I started getting carried away with the length and presentation. The ones that were the hardest for me were my 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Passion of the Christ, From the Earth to the Moon, and Band of Brothers reviews. They are also the reviews I’m most proud of. I do miss the attention I used to receive because of them. I was the only one doing any at the time. Then all sorts of people started writing, so I didn’t feel compelled to anymore. Now there are all sorts of fun reviewers at the site like Lance, Sammy, Golgot, and OG-. I enjoy reading theirs and others…it sure is a helluva lot easier than writing them.

Thanks for the kind words, bud. I really do appreciate them.

Just watched A Very Long Engagement and then read your review and I gotta say great job. What a movie huh? I'd give ya some rep gut I hafta spread it around first.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wow, great review there LS. Kubrick is a very talented director and I can agree with some of your points on 2001.

Suspect's Reviews