RIP Morgan Spurlock, 53

Tools    

Was being treated for an unknown cancer. Sad as he was young.

You ready? You look ready.
What are the odds? I was just talking about him not even a week ago.

EDIT: While his break out documentary was clouded in controversy he definitely helped grow that genre in a pretty big way. Especially with his production companies that funded better films than Super Size Me.

To me, he will always be known as the guy that killed jumbo drinks and now I never have enough soda when I order a large.

RIP
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

OMG, I watched both of his Super Size movies last year for the first time. Great filmmaker and a seemingly charming guy. Just read that he was only 53 years old? He was younger than me. This is so sad. RIP.

It might take 20 years but Mickey D's will catch up to you. I guess we know what the D stands for. RIP Mr. Spurlock.

The Super Size Me guy!

I've been trying to figure out why his name was familiar.

Kind of a thinking-ish person's Johnny Knoxville.

The Super Size Me stunt has been re-examined and critical omissions and misleading claims addressed, and I think anyone who graduated from elementary school knows that McDonald's 3 times a day is a bad idea.

https://www.looper.com/1586984/super...rsy-explained/

For starters, viewers have long criticized Spurlock for not releasing official logs of what he consumed daily during the experiment. He also went into the documentary without informing his doctors of his consistent alcohol consumption (the filmmaker revealed in 2017 that he had been drinking regularly since he was 13 and, for 30 years, rarely, if ever, spent more than a week sober). As "Super Size*Me" shows, this leads to the assumption that it is his daily eating habits — McDonald's three times a day — that seriously damage his liver. Had Spurlock shared this information before filming began, some of the overall results of his experiment would have likely been perceived in a drastically different light.*

A couple years after the movie's release, a Swedish university attempted to replicate Spurlock's experiment, specifically, his end results; their conclusions were fascinating, to say the least.

In 2006, Associate Professor*Fredrik Nyström of*Linköping University attempted to copy Spurlock's "Super Size Me" results.*

The findings of this experiment showed some stark differences from Spurlock's experience. The first group of students' livers showed some changes, but nothing as severe as what Spurlock went through. However, in later experiments, two participants in*Nyström's study did show increased fat build up in the liver, with another having to be pulled from the experiment entirely due to liver issues.* "Super Size Me" also showed the American filmmaker suffering from depression during the 30-day experiment;*such a mental health impact was not reported in*Nyström's experiment, nor were serious spikes in cholesterol levels.*

Overall, it's difficult to look at "Super Size Me" now without attaching some*asterisks to it. The documentary's findings can't be applied to everyone. As any medical professional will tell you, all bodies are different. It also might be hard for some viewers to look past the documentary's blunt parameters and think: "Who wouldn't gain weight after consuming such a high amount of calories everyday?"

Of course nearly all documentaries are misleading in many ways, and skewed to present a particular viewpoint, so I don't mean to pick on him specifically.

I think he did a TV series which explored important social topics, so good on him, and so young to pass!

Rest in peace.